Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bought a 73 hard top bus need help with a couple questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tinygiant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Bought a 73 hard top bus need help with a couple questions Reply with quote

The bus started for a couple seconds with starting fluid.. but its currently out of gas.

but i would like to get it started today. so i have some questions

This retangular thing under the spring has a hose connected to it that goes nowhere.. should that be connected to something?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fuel pump is not connected to power.. where do i connect that to?

The relay on the top right here has 4 wires coming from it.. they are all connected

but there is a wire loom that those relay wires come from (and others) and there are two things not connected.

one has a spade end black wire (ignore that red wire its a direct feed from the battery)

the other is a plastic retangular ended wire

I think if i can get the fuel pump hooked up and get some gas in it it should run.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: OK Reply with quote

This might be a center mount progressive so your fuel pump will want a wire off the ig side (15) of the coil for now.

That mystery tube from the front is a crankcase vent and goes to the air cleaner. That red may come from the battery or alt. The black may be an ignition hot lead to the original dual carb choke set up.

What you need is the colored wiring diagram from here and a couple of good books AND a big fire extinguisher if you are going to play with that rolling fire ball before you fix the many hidden/rotten vapor and fuel lines.

SO- welcome to the interesting challenging world of the vw bus.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tinygiant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So

in this picture the bottom empty spade connector would go to the fuel pump?
tinygiant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm going to grab a new fuel filter, and some small hose clamps. the fuel pump inlet side doesnt have one and the inlet side of the fuel filter doesnt either.

figure they should probably have clamps. lol
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and congratulations!
To begin with please put away the starting fluid, great for large direct injection diesels but death for low compression gas engines like the VW, cracked pistons and broken rings are no fun. A small squirt bottle of gasoline does the same thing but safely.
That fuel pump should be powered through a relay, it will eventually melt your ignition switch connecting it directly to the coil and keep running in the event of a crash feeding a potential fire. It's also much too big for that application and will need a good pressure regulator between it and the carb. I read you are already getting some clamps but you'll want new fuel lines as well, don't trust the old rubber unless you like bonfires.
That black wire in the RF corner of the engine compartment was part of the diagnostic system, tape it up well as it's live battery power and you don't need sparks in there.
Before you plan on any drives it would be worth the time to look under the tin for debris and small animal nests, I see some junk ontop so there's likely more down in the cooling fins and ontop of the oil cooler, you wouldn't drive a watercooled car with no radiator would you? You'll also want to replace or freshen up any seals as cooling air leaks are bad.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
tinygiant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this bus supposedly was running last november. The fuel hoses are actually new and theres about 4ft more hose in the bus left over.

So for the relay..

go from the coil ->relay-> pump

I have small landscaping company so i just took a backpack blower to the engine before i went to grab the fuel filter and clamps. Nothing sitting on the engine now.

have a link to a fuel pressure regulator i can grab?

would that be the easiest and cheapest thing to get this fuel pump situation figured out.. is there a better option than using the pump that is there now?
tinygiant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i would honestly rather use the stock fuel pump if possible. unless using the other one would be more reliable..

more stock the better is usually how i see it.

it is there

tinygiant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found this one online

http://www.airheadparts.com/vintage-vw-parts/new-l...21127025-a
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be the ideal fix, no added strain on the electrical system, correct pressure and no gravity feed when parked, and @~$50.00 cheaper than a good electric pump/regulator and relay. Lucky you, most have a former FI engine installed with no place to mount the mechanical pump, the disconnected one that's on there now likely leaks but it may be worth a try hooking it up to see.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
tinygiant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there are three ports on the mechanical fuel pump.

the bent one.. the straight one and the one on the bottom..

what goes where?

obviously the tank will connect to one. The other end will connect to where the fuel filter is inline right now..

where does the bottom one go?

and which is the inlet and outlet.

Sorry for my complete noob questions. I have a haynes book but it doesnt really say what port is what.. the diagram shows me how to dismantle the pump.. but i even think that one is an earlier pump.. the one that mounts on the engine near the distributor.. which mine doesnt

found an extra carb in the bus too..

seems to be the same one that is on the bus right now

tinygiant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this

says top in bottom out..

so what is the one on the opposite side of mine for?
tinygiant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha i will keep posting what i find. hopefully this thread will help someone else at some point

found this page
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EngineRemoval.html

"
17.1) 72-74 dual carbs: the fuel lines from the mechanical fuel pump must be disconnected. You can disconnect it at the pump or above. If you disconnect it from the pump, disconnect the larger hose on the straight tube. The bent tube connects to the smaller hose that leads to the carbs and goes through the tin. The hose (blue arrow) is a breather line that goes through a grommet in the deflection plates. Both can be left connected."

So i have the bent one going from the bent line going to the carb.

I have the tank going from tank to fuel filter to pump..

and that one on the bottom going to nothing.

When i put a little gas in the carb the bus starts right up.. but as soon as it burns that off it dies.

the line going to the pump has gas in it.. so i know gas is getting to the pump..

Nothing is leaking.. so i just need to figure out how to get gas from the pump to the carb.

i tired sucking on the line going to the carb.. seeing if i could pull gas through it and i couldnt.. not sure if that matters since it probably wouldnt allow gas anyways if it was good internally. (is that right?)
tinygiant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so does that breather hose connect to something?
tinygiant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one test i found online said to disconnect the line going to the carb and crank the engine.. if no gas comes out replace the pump..

i'm thinking thats probably what i am going to have to do.

anyone want to confirm that?

anything i need other than the pump and gasket?

this look like the right one?
http://www.airheadparts.com/vintage-vw-parts/new-l...21127025-a
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slightly larger one is the inlet (probably the bent one), the tiny one is a drain and had a short hose leading through the lower cylinder tin onto the ground. That hex shaped plug has a small filter screen under it, check that it's clean, sucking on it won't work as it's designed to shut off fuel flow when not operating.

Слава Україні!
tinygiant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well is raining now.. darn my lack of a garage.

i could try swapping the fuel lines to see if the site i quoted before had them backwards..

would make sense if its not throwing gas to the carb if its sucking from the wrong side.

hopefully thats the case. would be nice to get it running. sounds like it will run well when it has fuel delivery.
tinygiant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swapped the fuel lines.. no help.

also decided to try that fuel pump hooked inline between the mechanical pump and the carb .. figured maybe it would help things at least get through the line... No luck.

So i guess i will probably grab a working mechanical fuel pump and see if that does the trick.

guess i will have to grab a8mm triple square bit too.. since i cant find mine to get the old pump out.

the pump comes with a gasket.. is there anything else i should order with it?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinygiant wrote:

The best place is a fitting installed top center in the air cleaner so the oily gases go directly into the throat of the carb and you don't get oil seeping down the sides of the carb. Some air cleaners will have a fitting in the bottom of the air cleaner, which is a second best location. If you use it then you will get the above mentioned oil seepage and since the slope of the hose from the breather to the air cleaner is less you are more apt to have the hose getting blocked by oil watery crud.
tinygiant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
tinygiant wrote:

The best place is a fitting installed top center in the air cleaner so the oily gases go directly into the throat of the carb and you don't get oil seeping down the sides of the carb. Some air cleaners will have a fitting in the bottom of the air cleaner, which is a second best location. If you use it then you will get the above mentioned oil seepage and since the slope of the hose from the breather to the air cleaner is less you are more apt to have the hose getting blocked by oil watery crud.

makes sense Smile
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: been recalled Reply with quote

Subaru did that "straight down the throat vent way back and had to recall all those cars- as long term winter driving would ice the throttle shaft so it would not shut off Shocked Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

So- maybe putting up with a little dribble is not such a bad idea.

TWO carbs-- great- if you get around to super tuning that system you can now set jets in one while being able to run the other.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: