Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

24E Manx Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...someone could soda blast Vince. It's a theory.

bryan
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixed with vodka that might work.... oh wait, wrong soda..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Muskrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Laughing Dude... that's just wrong. You know better than that. Removing the Awlcraft mixture is going to be more hazardous to your skin than putting up with the tyvek suit...

Rick
It looks worse that it is. It is stuck to the perspiration not any Awlcraft and it washes right off.

Tom
The next one will be either Moss Green or Sea Green. The Smurf will have to wait till you bring yours down to have it flaked. Very Happy

Bryan
Funny that you say that. I got 10lbs of flake and I did have some redoes but I am down to the last 2lbs. Lots on me and the ground.

Joe
Hit it right on the head. Kinda of sad watching it go down the shower drain though.

Bryan
I will go with the shower instead.

Rick
I definitely could use a drink after all the heat. I was out for 6hrs doing that yesterday.

grknvgn
Laughing Laughing

Vince
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Next time (or even for little parts) put a heavy plastic painter's sheet under whatever you're flaking. Catch what you can and put it back in another container. Use a fine screen (even window screen) and filter out any grass/bugs/detritus that may have made it into the flake. Save money, recycle!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick, I will do that.

Update 7/19

Shot the final top coat yesterday.

Cut and buffed it today. The right has been compounded, the left has been wet sanded with 1000grit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It still needs a final buff out.

I need to look through my parts and see what I need to order.

Vince
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Really nice job Vince.

I think I already know the answer, but will this one be a keeper, long term?

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn!

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe
Thanks! I certainly hope so, but I have said that before. Very Happy

Q-Dog wrote:
Damn!

Thanks, it is not perfect and it has a bit of "solvent pop". (Very small bubbles under the surface caused by the paint skinning over before the solvent has "vented" out.) It has to be in the right light at the right angle to see it, but I know it is there. It has to do with the spray reducer, thickness of the paint layer and the temperature (outside) the I shot it in.

Vince
Muskrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks like you could swim in it.
Kreelak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMN that's Purty
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Joe
Thanks! I certainly hope so, but I have said that before.

Ahhh, the lure of the next project. It has broken many bonds between a man and his "current" ride. No known cure, except for a temporany fix of the build swimming around in his head.

I suffer from it too.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much flake does it take to do an entire buggy and side pods? I just read this thread and it says 1 pound! I wasn't expecting it to be that much for so small a car.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=447162&highlight=manx+monster+flake
(o\_i_/o) what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul - Mr. Oblaski, Principal
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean to kill the thread! Shocked
(o\_i_/o) what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul - Mr. Oblaski, Principal
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pound sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. Complete coverage the traditional "mixed in the clear" way you'll use twice or even three times that amount. My old SR used up nearly three and a half pounds of the stuff mixed into the clear. I imagine Vince is using at least two pounds with the blow-on method since most of it is winding up on the ground... and him Wink .
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grknvgn
Thanks!

Kreelak
Thanks!

Joe
I think you are right. I tend to blame it on needing the money but I think I would keep them if I really liked them that much. (Monocoque. Lifeguard Manx) I, like you seem to always have another project waiting or can find one without much trouble. (they also seem to find me as well)

Rathbone
You did not kill the thread. I was trying to think of the best way to answer your question. I have used about 5-6 lbs on the body and panels, hood etc. The reason being that I am truly covering every millimeter with flake. Since the flake is .015 in size (basically the size of a pin head) it takes allot of flake and I am doubling, tripling up in just about all areas. When you mix it with the clear and shoot it you are in most cases using the base color as your "color". I am using the flake as the color. It has been a huge learning experience, and my next one will not use as much flake but will take about 5 lbs including what goes on the ground. As of now I have about 1 lb left from the 10 lbs I started with. As I said I have had some do overs and have covered my yard with flake. (garage, driveway, family, dog, cats) My first blue Manx used about 5oz to cover about the same amount of car. This was shoot in the clear and in some places I had as few as a dozen flakes per square inch. With the dry, full coverage method I have hundreds of flake per square inch if not more. This actually is much more like the way it would have been done in the mold using clear gel coat where the clear was shot into the mold then before it cured the flake was shot to cover all of the surface. Then a color was shot to cover any lightly flaked areas. That is why when you look at a gel coat metal flake job it looks rough. If you could see my Manx in person it definitely has that rough look to it because the flake is "piled" up. The thick, cut and buffed clear gives it that deep look that mimics the original gel coat.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Rick
You hit it right on the head. Complete coverage takes allot of flake. And on the car too. Very Happy Laughing
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping for a finish similar to a bass boat. I have already placed an order today for 1.5 pounds of Cherry Pie Monster Flake. I guess I'll see how far that goes. I may have to go back for more. I appreciate you taking the time to respond so well.
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update 8/30

I had a little setback and had to do the fenders over again. The "solvent pop" was too much for me and I reflaked those areas affected.

I have been wiring and cutting holes in the fiberglass. I do not know about you all, but "cutting holes" is the most nerve racking part for me. I have also found that most, if not all, fiberglass bodies are off a bit in proportion. So measuring can get you in trouble. I have found that measuring and then "eying" it makes for a better look. (at least for me)

Here is a front and rear shot of the mock up. The rear is completely wired and tested, the front is just a mock up.

The sun had set in my front yard so I could not get a "sparkly" shot.

I have also installed a dash support and have the windshield brackets installed as well.

Let me know what you think.

Vince
MOON BUGGY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince the buggy looks great.

Do you find it better and easier to mount all the hard wear and wiring
before mounting the body to the pan?
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are nice tail lights! Awesome build.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: