Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who is into vintage sewing machines?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Who is into vintage sewing machines? Reply with quote

I can purchase a 1952 Toyota sewing machine in perfect working order. It will do heavy canvas and such with no problem but I know absolutely nothing about them. I may flip it or I might keep it just because. I was curious if anyone else was an expert on them?

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Tough crowd! Laughing

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 1953 Singer 155W that I use regularly, awesome machine.
I know nothing about the Toyoda but they make great trucks, cars and forklifts.
Best you check on parts availabilty before pulling the trigger, sometimes stuff like that is for sale for a reason.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my sister has a swinger that was made way back in '03.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife has, regularly uses and maintains a late 1800s Singer treadle.... Cant help you on those new-fangled electric ones..... Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Messerschmitt made some handsome sewing machines after the war:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread actually. I like/am interested in any well made old industrial equipment. As part of the industry I work in...off on the fringes....garment production and industrial sewing used to be part of the section I worked years ago. I used to go to a trade show that was just for all of that (industrial sewing, seaming, embroidery)....called the Bobbin Show.

It was amazing to see the industrial sewing machines....Singer, Toyota, Bernina, SWF, Fafnir, Tajima.....
New Industrial single head sewing machines still look like 1940....and are bulletproof and can run for eons....and cost $$$$$. Ray
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Nice thread actually. I like/am interested in any well made old industrial equipment. As part of the industry I work in...off on the fringes....garment production and industrial sewing used to be part of the section I worked years ago. I used to go to a trade show that was just for all of that (industrial sewing, seaming, embroidery)....called the Bobbin Show.

It was amazing to see the industrial sewing machines....Singer, Toyota, Bernina, SWF, Fafnir, Tajima.....
New Industrial single head sewing machines still look like 1940....and are bulletproof and can run for eons....and cost $$$$$. Ray

It is kind of interesting that there's so much overlap between sewing machines and car/motorcycle manufacturers. Toyota, Messerschmitt, and I know Zundapp made sewing machines, and I think both Opel and NSU started out with sewing machines and got into cars and motorcycles later.

I guess precision manufacturing is the same regardless of what you're making.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

It is kind of interesting that there's so much overlap between sewing machines and car/motorcycle manufacturers. Toyota, Messerschmitt, and I know Zundapp made sewing machines, and I think both Opel and NSU started out with sewing machines and got into cars and motorcycles later.

I guess precision manufacturing is the same regardless of what you're making.

Yes...that is exactly right. Back in the early to middle 20th century...heck...even all of it.....precision machine manufacturers contracted to make all sorts of products that fit their skill set. Some did it better than others.

And.....both world wars pushed virtually every large company knto producing things you wo7ld never dream of. The history of the literally millions of types of items made by companies you would never suspect.....is vast. Every few weeks while reading or looking at old items I come across machines or tools....made by companies you would never suspect would make that item.
For instance.....Singer made a huge quantity of firearms...specifically M1 Garand rifles, the Noden Bombsite and 1911 model .45 pistols.
Messerschmidt made everything from optics to cars to planes.
Virtually any machine company on either side of either war made a huge range of items.
Its awesome history. Ray
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Both world wars pushed virtually every large company knto producing things you wo7ld never dream of. The history of the literally millions of types of items made by companies you would never suspect.....is vast.

A little off topic, but I always thought this was interesting:

The porcelain department of the Coors Brewing company (which also made bottles) was literally the only thing that kept the company afloat several times in it's history (notably during WWI and prohibition) by making manufacture grade mortar and pestles along with dinnerware.

Their mortar/pestles are still used in labs throughout the US.

Pretty cool
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our "everyday" sewing machine is a Singer Featherweight in white. The white ones were made 1960-63. Nice simple machine that was purchased new by my wife's now departed Mother. It requires frequent cleaning and oiling but runs great.
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use quite a few old sewing machines at work, although I wouldn't call them vintage. Mostly Consew, even have a giant heavy duty that will put a needle through your finger bones if you're not paying attention. The balance wheel is like a giant automotive flywheel.
My favorite is the Consew 206RB, I'd like to get one for myself someday.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my grandmothers old Singer. It is a fold away desk/table unit. It has not worked in years. My grandmother passed in the 80's. I'm thinking the machine might be from the '50s. I hope to bring it back to life someday and restore the wooden table along with it.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of old well built machines, big and small....didn't know Yoda made a sewing machine.

While, I do sew... I have a late 80s brother... Kinda cheap, but I've made quite a few items with it. Recently made a grey cord headliner for my 57 ghia and wind lace.

I scored a 59 atlas/craftsman lathe that's in super nice shape along with a box of tooling and a 4 jaw chuck. It's a lot of fun running this thing and whittling up various doodads.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until retirement, my wife was a professional seamstress.
She has:

3- Pfaff 130 machines, two in cases and one in the cabinet.
5- Singer Featherweights, anywhere from 1935 to 1967, including the hard-to-find 1951 "Blue Label" and the even rarer 221K "Free Arm" machine, and
2-Singer card tables the machines fit into.
2- Juki Overlock machines, one a 3 thread, one, a 4 thread.
1- US Blind stitch machine that does the hem stitch you can't see from outside the garment.
4 or 5 working Treadle machines, Singer, White Rotary, and New Home.
5- A collection of about 75 Toy Sewing machines, mostly Pre-World War 2 from Germany, Mueller and Casige. They all work, and make what is called a "chain stitch".
I'm sure there are some that I am missing; she stays out of the garage, and I stay out of the sewing room.

<edit> OB Bus, the white Featherweights were produced in England (Scotland, actually).. the definitive book is "The Perfect Portable" by Nancy Johnson-Srebro, it gives you everything you need to know about Featherweights. It's like "Progressive Refinements" for Featherweights.

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome thread! For those who look on...and dont appreciate things as mundane as the sewing machine....without it.....you would either be naked....or look really stupid in your bone needle, leather stitched medieval fair outfit Laughing

Ray
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tossed my mother's circa 1950 Free-Westinghouse console in the dumpster about 15 years ago, as all the rubber and cords had rotted away, the blond veneer covering the table and drawers was becoming delaminated and my brother had thrown out the box of attachments a couple of years previous. Up to that point, it was complete, including the manual and tools.

I picked up a postwar Singer portable a few years ago for around $15 that didn't have as many accessories as the Free and had similar rubber rot, but at least parts are available. What's weird about it is that the serial number is for a Model 66 from early 1925, which tells me there were companies that did manual-to-electric conversions to meet demand either during or right after WWII.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
I tossed my mother's circa 1950 Free-Westinghouse console in the dumpster about 15 years ago, as all the rubber and cords had rotted away, the blond veneer covering the table and drawers was becoming delaminated and my brother had thrown out the box of attachments a couple of years previous. Up to that point, it was complete, including the manual and tools.

I picked up a postwar Singer portable a few years ago for around $15 that didn't have as many accessories as the Free and had similar rubber rot, but at least parts are available. What's weird about it is that the serial number is for a Model 66 from early 1925, which tells me there were companies that did manual-to-electric conversions to meet demand either during or right after WWII.

Yes....you are correct. Also ....virtually all of the cord parts or at least close enough. ...and probably most rubber parts....can be had for fairly inexpensive.

I would recommend that next time an old sewing machine gets to the point of the one you through away....simply list it kn Craigs list or somehwere for free as a parts machine. ...or give it to a local private sewing machine repair shop for parts. Ray
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to see others on here are into Vintage sewing machines. I started out buying my first sewing machine (an old 1951 Singer 15-91) in my early 20's, and it worked well for what I was doing at the time, but I always wanted a walking foot machine. So, I sold the Singer years back and found a decent Juki 563 with the table and everything for $650. I couldn't pay for it fast enough! Very Happy

It's nearly stock with a few obvious exceptions, and I'm hoping to eventually close the open area at the bottom with a homemade floor pan and some carpet. I made the fold down table top while working in the sheet metal shop years ago, but never took the time to fab up the floor section. I like that it's a quiet hobby that doesn't require you to get dirty or become exposed to dangerous chemicals and such (hey, just like doing mechanical work!). Laughing Plus you can do it inside (cool in the summer, warm in the winter) while watching TV or listening to the radio, which is nice on rainy days when you're stuck inside.

I still have my mother's Pfaff in case I need to do any other kind of stitching that the Juki won't do (it only does straight stitching).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
OB Bus, the white Featherweights were produced in England (Scotland, actually).. the definitive book is "The Perfect Portable" by Nancy Johnson-Srebro, it gives you everything you need to know about Featherweights. It's like "Progressive Refinements" for Featherweights.

Thanks! I just ordered a copy of the book from Amazon. We really look forward to reading it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: