Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sorry Honey, I have bad gas
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Sorry Honey, I have bad gas Reply with quote

I wouldn't believe it if you told me...

Syncro Westy loaded up Saturday morning with 4 Kids, Two adults, 4 Dirt bikes, hitch carrier and trailer, Gear, Tools... etc.. to go riding. Living in the SF bay area, we have ALOT of hills to hop over. I am not nice to my engine either (10.5/1 compression ratio 2.4), hammer down, all is good. We stop for Coffee and gas, hit the highway on ramp, hammer down and I get ping, ping ping, pop.. whoa. Drove the next 125miles barely using the throttle. Let her sit over night and checked it out yesterday. Went through every system fearing the worst. Vacuum leaks, Air oil separator system, intake, leak down test, o2 sensor function, timing, fuel pressure..... Then it dawns on me, I filled up with gas, at a shell station I don't normally use, then this all started. I bop down the street and top off with "good" gas, it gets a bit better. Dump in some Lucas Octane boost...(I know, but there is a first for everything).. all good again.

Now I know my engine is a bit high strung, but I have never experienced a batch of bad gas, ever. How many fill ups over the years without a care? So much so that I spent hours looking over my van before acting on the obvious... Just shows to go you.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you drop the fuel filter and check it? I always try to avoid filling stations that have their delivery going on. My myth is the amount of fuel going into the underground tanks stirs up the water and crud that has settled on the bottom. No confirmation of my theory though.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah.. no deliveries. Near as I can figure, they dropped the wrong product in the wrong tank. I used to work in the industry, there are filters etc in place. Besides, water\debris would have acted differently. This was as if I filled up with regular instead of super.
mr. c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you are saying is that they are selling people regular gas at the super price. Probably on "accident."
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. c wrote:
So what you are saying is that they are selling people regular gas at the super price. Probably on "accident."

Holy smokes...(no pun intended) but that would be pretty efed up if they did. Shocked
I got a bad case of gas only once and it was from a no name station near a camp site. I use Union 76 or Chevron regular in my 82 air cooled and haven't had any trouble since.
b00t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to one spot in town, the only spot in town, that sells ethanol free gas. Its a hot spot, right on the ramp to I-40 so they push a lot of gas.

All my motorcycles, everything get topped up there. Then when on the road always have a bottle of SeaFoam at the ready. Half bottle for fill up. Never had an issue.

Glad you got it sorted...good gas is hard to find?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: