Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Painted My Fiberglass Pop-Up Topper-yet another thread(pics)
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Painted My Fiberglass Pop-Up Topper-yet another thread(pics) Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I know this topic has been covered a lot, but I thought I'd throw in a new one just to keep it updated.

Going to install a new canvas and thought I might as well pain the topper while I'm at it. FYI 1978 Westy.

Step 1. Removed the canvas. I started from the front and worked back. Easy and it's been covered on here.

Step 2. Un-bolt the topper. I've seen threads where people have painted the topper in place. I'm not sure how they did this without getting pain everywhere. Knowing that I'm a clutz, I opted to take it off. I started at the rear. Make sure to unbolt the topper from the hinges. I quickly found out that if you unbolt the hinges from the bus, you will need to realign the topper. There are 6 nuts, three on each side (10mm). Then I closed the topper and unbolted the front supports. You should tie down the supports as they are spring loaded before removing the topper.

Step 3: Remove the topper This is really a two or three person job. The topper isn't that heavy, but it's awkward. I removed it by myself and my only saving graces was I removed it with the Yamkima rack still on the top. It gave me something to hold on to.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Step 4. Prep and Paint. I sanded with an electric hand sander (a must) with 150 grit. Cleaned with mineral spirits. then painted. I used Behr Marquee Pearl White from Home Depot with a 6 inch roller. I used two coats. I waited 24 hours between coats and sanded with a 220 girt before the second coat.

First coat

Second coat

I plan to install tonight with new seals. Then work on the luggage rack. Nothing new under the sun here, but I know when I search I like to see how a couple different folks did it. I will update with pics once the luggage rack is on.

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
stiltwalker39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my top this week also. I used a Rust-Oleum Product for boats. The top was in bad shape as it sat under a tree for 15 years, It was a mess, I presure washed it and it didn't look much better. I removed the top, sanded on it for 5 hrs or more, The next day primed it twice and sanded it again between coats, Man all this sanding sucks!!!!! Today I put the 1st of two coats of paint on and its looking great. I will have to sand it again in the morning before the last coat. I used a HVLP sprayer. It looks great, slick, smooth and almost as good as the original. We we see how the last coat looks.

My wife Debby and I started the body work today and hope to paint the bus in an off white in the next week or so. Not tying to make a show bus, just a nice one. I don't like paying people to do anything. I will save that money for bus parts. See link below for the paint info.

https://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=4

Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. Mounted mine on yesterday with new seals. I'm working on the luggage rack now. Should have my first coat on tonight.

plj7473
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolled mine with machine paint, did so well painted my F150 Topper too. All for less then $50.00
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would give an update and some before an after pics. After I painted the top, I installed some new seals, decals, as well as, a new canvas from Busdepot.

I thought the paint turned out well for a roll on job. There are a couple of runs I spotted. But it looks a hell of a lot better. I'm sure I could have done a better job, but my bus is what it is.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Co Pilot: Fletcher

eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a big improvement! Looks great! I need to do the same thing, but it looks like it'll be next year at the rate things are coming along.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: