Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No more NEW Registrations in Texas?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
Bob Elgin wrote:
[color=midnightblue]I live in Waco Texas, The vin number that i give is to a 1970 VW Bettle.I am telling the truth, with that being said the title also says vw Bettle This is news to me also. I just renewed my registration last month. I will keep a eye out on anything i see or here. I have relatives that work in the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
The only question i have is with newer registration not being recognized anymore,How is it going to effect the insurance for the car(vw beetle/ Buggy)[/olor]

Be aware that you may be in for a rude awakening from your insurance carrier if you have a wreck/claim, and they deny coverage because your buggy is not a '19XX VW Beetle' - I've seen it happen 3 times already to other buggy owners.

bryan

X2. Many carriers won't insure a vehicle that isn't what is stated on the title. In PA you can have your car impounded if you're stopped for a traffic violation (say, in a dune buggy) and your registration says "Beetle". I'm waiting to see the outcome of this Texas issue - if it's true it won't bode well for other states. I'm surprised it didn't start in California, though..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my problem is what is their definition of rebuilt/resurected...

i can see rebuilt as salvage title/totaled type of cars...

rebuilt... unless its less then say 15 years old.. im sure some part has been rebuilt...

so it is far more worrysome then you all think... what aircooled anything by this time has not been rebuilt?

here is another one.. progressive insurance, grumman kubvan... they take your money then refund it as they lack it in their system... find out my friend has progressive... one day opened mail box w/check from them saying have nice life... they say it nonexistant with proper epa/vins and all..

ill whore my insurance company, classic collectors... 144/year stated value policy.. unlimite miles.. roadside.. they require pics... lots of forms and garage to keep it in... but best ever for price and coverage..

i did drive it 6400 miles to show in cali.. how i got unlimited miles..
Bob Elgin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

color=midnightblue]Well my insurance man knows its a buggy(farmers ins) but thanx for the warning, will keep that in mind. Smile [/color]
My Build http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5987690#5987690
My Youtube page
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqd2r1Af7uZgqlnxAtMap4A
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... Progressive rep across the hall from me stated that Progressive will insure buggies here in NC. Have yet to confirm this -

bryan
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is troubling. We are looking at possibly moving Tj Kustoms to Texas. In fact my wife is down there right now getting a feel for the place.

I just called Texas DMV administrations. They tell me "no more dune buggies". A law was passed in the 81st legislature. Michael (DMV rep) will be calling me back with the code when she can find it. I will post it here when she does.
This sux!

And wondering what the heck happen to my Samba post count?!?
Tom Thompson
Tijuana Kustoms Inc. (TM)
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... and no replies yet from any commercial buggy builders in TX?

Tom/others: The ONLY thing I find in 'net searches that MAY be contributing to confusion are Web posts where people are discussing street use of Rhinos or similar UTVs.

I'd recommend that you look into clarifying the term 'dune buggy' with the Texas officials. My money says that the UTVs are what Texas folk are thinking when you say 'dune buggy' -

bryan
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
Interesting... and no replies yet from any commercial buggy builders in TX?

bryan

I guess not. You would think they would be all over this. I am going to write a few letters but am sure they will be to no avail.
Texas was supposed to be one of the last real “America freedoms” sanctuaries left.
I just want to get out of New York.

I was very specific about type of vehicle and they knew what I was asking.

Tom Thompson
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com

Last edited by kustoms on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my Tri-State area of WV, KY and OH, it is still very pro business and positive for car hobbist. In KY and OH, Rail Buggy's are street legal and very easy to register.

As with anywhere, it is a step away from being in political hell and tied in knotts, like the Coal Industry is in OH, KY and WV.

If what may be happening in TX spreads, I may have to quit fixing up buggy's and selling them, and just keep one. Confused

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, as you know my move is a lot more than buggies. In fact its about freedoms in general. I cannot believe New York is more welcoming to buggies than Texas. It blows my mind. I have a few calls out waiting to hear back. One of them is to SEMA.
As far as I can tell the bill is from 2009 it is TX HB-3849. I am still going through it but work is getting in the way.

Tom Thompson
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe:

Other states will only follow the lead of Texas/California/etc., IF the hobbyists allow them to do so. Time to join forces with SEMA & other automobile clubs to get rules added to state's DMV/DOT regs in order to allow buggies & other home-built vehicles to be registered. Recall that those in Government positions work for us Citizen taxpayers...

bryan
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Recall that those in Government positions work for us Citizen taxpayers...

Not for a while I fear......
greenmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being in Texas, this concerns me. I think many of us have just been trying to find out any info before we post.

The only thing I've come up with so far is http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/ and entering dune buggy in the search info for various Congressional session. Thus far, all I've found concerns ATV and Off Highway only use (referring to running on beeches and public land.) Also, each Bill I've run across talks about "registration Fees" for ATV's etc. Also found this http://txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/off-highway-vehicles
I have found nothing specific to dune buggies as we know them nor anything that would effect registration. Tom, I hope your source calls back with good news.
greenmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To keep the info post from getting too convoluted, I thought I put this in a new posting.
This is from the TX required Recreational Off Highway Statment of Ownership form. Looking at teh description, they are talking about Rhinos and the like with bench seats. This appears to have been a move to differentiate ATV from UTVs.T
he dune buggies we register are not strictly Off Highway. An off highway use permit for street legal vehicles is available from Texas Park & Wildlife.

Notice in the description below that ROHV's cannot be registered for On Highway Use with or without modifications. I think, the county where RDCll tried to register is confused. However, it sure would be nice to get a definitive on this.

"Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Form VTR-330 (Rev. 08/10)
Statement of Ownership
Title Requirement: Effective September 1, 2009, a new recreational off-highway vehicle may only be transferred on a
Manufacturer Certificate of Origin (MCO). For more information see "Additional Title Application Instructions" on page 2.
Definition
A Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle is:
-a motor vehicle that is equipped with a non-straddle seat for the use of the rider, and a passenger, depending on the manufacturer design;
-designed to propel itself with four or more tires in contact with the ground;
-designed by the manufacturer for off-highway use; and
-not designed by the manufacturer primarily for farming or lawn care.
Note
-A Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle (ROV) is not designed for highway use and may not be registered, with or
without design alterations, for operation on public highways.
-The certificate of title will reflect an "Off-Highway Use Only" remark.
-Most Utility Type Vehicles, other than an All-Terrain Vehicle, are considered ROVs."

Here's a link to the actual form (loads pretty slow)
http://ftp.txdmv.gov/pub/txdot-info/static/VTR-330.pdf
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to Texas DMV main office. They were very specific and adamant in saying fiberglass dune buggies will no longer be registered. They knew exactly what they are. They cited the law but was not able to provide the bill number as of yet.
Believe me; I will be on top of this one as it will have a direct impact on my future. I will keep everyone informed as I get new info.
I have a great working relationship with the state of New York special construction vehicle division. I am hoping I can build the same system in the state of Texas. Just so long as we can work through this issue. Otherwise I will need to pick another state. AZ and FL are the other two states in the mix.

Tom Thompson
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
pafree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kustoms, let me know who i need to send e-mails and phone calls too. i want to build some vw trikes to resale but if i can't register them then that could be out. my research has found that i can register a "one in my lifetime" custom build.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent an email to SAN (SEMA Action Network) with a link to this thread. If anyone can find the bill number, that would help.

Tom... Texas, huh? My brother lived outside of Dallas for years and complained of the heat, scorpions and fire ants. Come on down to PA... lots of space here for ya! Here's one more reason not to move there: http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa_2013TX2&g=SEMAGA
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pafree wrote:
kustoms, let me know who i need to send e-mails and phone calls too. i want to build some vw trikes to resale but if i can't register them then that could be out. my research has found that i can register a "one in my lifetime" custom build.

I had a productive phone call with SEMA today. I am going to have to edu(ma)cate myself on the Texas Laws. Based on the conversation we need to do face to face with the representatives with our buggies.

Tom Thompson
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Sent an email to SAN (SEMA Action Network) with a link to this thread. If anyone can find the bill number, that would help.

Tom... Texas, huh? My brother lived outside of Dallas for years and complained of the heat, scorpions and fire ants. Come on down to PA... lots of space here for ya! Here's one more reason not to move there: http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa_2013TX2&g=SEMAGA

LOL… My decision to move to Texas has a lot to do with politics taxes and gun rights. I am a big gun rights guy and Texas is AR-15 friendly. (Yes, I do have another life besides buggies.) Besides, I don’t think PA has palm trees and warm weather year round.
BTW, Texas is not set in stone yet. My wife is scouting it. We have a two year plan to be gone from this God forsaken place. No buggy no Texas!

Tom Thompson
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Carolina would welcome a New York transplant... we seem to have taken in quite a few of since the Nineties, when IBM bugged out of NY. We are pretty friendly to small businesses -

And - did I mention - we still like our firearms? Which is part of the reason why my buggy budget ran a bit low, as my tools from Mr. Ruger's Company have been requiring their workouts. Laughing

We have nice beaches & mountains - and Moon Pies & RC Cola/Cheerwine!

bryan
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
North Carolina would welcome a New York transplant... we seem to have taken in quite a few of since the Nineties, when IBM bugged out of NY. We are pretty friendly to small businesses -

And - did I mention - we still like our firearms? Which is part of the reason why my buggy budget ran a bit low, as my tools from Mr. Ruger's Company have been requiring their workouts. Laughing

We have nice beaches & mountains - and Moon Pies & RC Cola/Cheerwine!

bryan

I love it there but Darlene does not. "Cheerwine"?

Tom Thompson
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: