Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No more NEW Registrations in Texas?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though Washington state is rather blue we are firearm friendly. There isn't even a training requirement to get a CPL. I think we are custom car friendly too. Most of the older Beach Buggies in WA are registered as Beetles because that was the old way (based on a vehicle of a recognized manufacturer.) Because of all the old ones titled that way some people have built new ones that way and avoided any inspection. There are also rules in place for new registrations of kit cars and street rods. Kit cars and street rods don't have to have fenders or bumpers. Eastern WA and western WA are almost like 2 different states, weather and local politics. I live in the west half of the state, just north of Seattle.
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to give an update; I have been weeding through 100s of pages of DMV rules and laws as well as SEMAs site info. Its going slow as I have little time to deal with this right now. Texas DMV is working with me. Believe it or not they have called me back a few times with what they have found. I guess because they have a push to attract new businesses, they are motivated to help. After all, if there are no buggies allowed why would I want to be there. We did find a little nugget that may prove positive. We shall see. I will post what we found if it pans out.

And wondering what the heck happen to my Samba post count?!?
Tom Thompson
Tijuana Kustoms Inc. (TM)
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
greenmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what one of our Texas Club's members found out.

Since I am still in the market for a good dune buggy I thought I would check into this before purchasing one.

To make a long story short after an 45 minutes on the phone with the regional DMV office in the lower Rio Grande Valley, here is what I was informed.

When I asked for the legislative action that approved this denial, they quoted me "Texas Transportation Code - Section 502.005. Refusal To Register Unsafe Vehicle".

http://law.onecle.com/texas/transportation/502.005.00.html

They are denying registration for any vehicles that are deemed unsafe. They told me the vehicle had to have a "company manufactured frame".

They informed me that before I purchase a dune buggy, to provide them the current license plate and inspection of the dune buggy I am purchasing and they would tell me if I could register it or not!

My interpretation is they are not registering NEW home built dune buggies without manufactured frames.

Hope this helps.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Deemed unsafe"? Wow - Wide room for the assessor to judge from here... - a factory VW Beetle pan IS a company/factory manufactured frame. You can fight this by asking to see the Vehicle Engineering Degree/certification held by the person assessing the safety of your buggy. These are government paper-pushing monkeys in the field offices, not engineers...

Good Luck -
Bryan
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what we are working around. We have not seen anything to warrant there position yet.

Tom Thompson
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
jamboguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kustoms wrote:
This thread is troubling. We are looking at possibly moving Tj Kustoms to Texas. In fact my wife is down there right now getting a feel for the place.

I just called Texas DMV administrations. They tell me "no more dune buggies". A law was passed in the 81st legislature. Michael (DMV rep) will be calling me back with the code when she can find it. I will post it here when she does.
This sux!

Dune Buggies are still being allowed.

it is the Sand rails and trikes that are not being allowed....new builds or renewals....

talked to the local Auto Theft Taskforce division guy and he said that local PD, DPS and County are being told to run a check on any seen on the road
jamboguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the Texas title manual.... Chapter 25 - 15 and 25 - 16

http://ftp.txdmv.gov/pub/txdot-info/vtr/title_manual_book_451.pdf

Last edited by jamboguru on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
jamboguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loop hole

Title and register the frame you are going to use and submit it as a body change....

that is the key according to the latest printing of the Texas title manual
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also get certified/licensed to become a vehicle manufacturer - it's a route that I'm considering. In this way, It's possible to provide a 17-digit VIN and mfg docs/initial title paperwork.

bnc
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
You can also get certified/licensed to become a vehicle manufacturer - it's a route that I'm considering. In this way, It's possible to provide a 17-digit VIN and mfg docs/initial title paperwork.

bnc

That sounds cool, but wonder what the legal liability would be? Looks like all it would take is for one stupid pearson to get hurt in a buggy and sue.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:

bnc

Would you then register these new vehicles as a current year model? Will they have to conform to current safety and emissions standards?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did work it out somewhat. I have been too busy to post my findings. They do have a hard line on the term "Dune Buggy" you will need to use the term "Kit Car" and it will be on a case by case basis. They are trying to get the "Home built" vehicles off the road. I have been going back and forth with them, this is the best solution. This is the phone number for any one that is having an issue. It is the main office. (512) 837-4418. Just remember, Quality of the build and wording is very important.
Please keep us / me informed to any issues good or bad because I have a lot riding on this issue.

Tom Thompson
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
jamboguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
didget69 wrote:

bnc

Would you then register these new vehicles as a current year model? Will they have to conform to current safety and emissions standards?

no and yes....depends what papers you have and how you fill out the forms... Read those 2 pages and it tells you what forms will need to be filled out and one of those is an inspection form....even if you plan on registering an antique it needs to be done initially
jamboguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assembled Vehicle Using a Manufactured Prefabricated Body

A certificate of title must be obtained for a vehicle assembled with a manufactured prefabricated body, such as Meyers Manx, Aztec, or Lone Star Classics Roadster, as one of the three basic component parts (motor, frame, and body).

The description of vehicle should be indicated on the application for title as follows:

1. Make of Vehicle - The make is the same as shown on the evidence of ownership covering the prefabricated body. If a make is not shown on the evidence, the make should be shown as “assembled.”

2. Year Model - The year model is the same as shown on the evidence of ownership covering the prefabricated body. If a year model is not shown or if the make is “assembled”, the year model is the year the vehicle was assembled.

3. Body Style - The body style should be shown as “2D” (2D Sedan), “4D” (4D Sedan), “RD” (Roadster), etc.

4. If a 1956 through 1969 year model Volkswagen Beetle floorpan or floorpan and chassis is used, the VIN appearing on the floorpan must be shown on the application as the VIN; or if the frame or frame and chassis is other than a 1956 through 1969 year model Volkswagen Beetle floorpan or floorpan and chassis, the manufacturer's VIN affixed to the prefabricated body must be shown on the application. If no manufacturer's VIN is affixed to the body or Volkswagen floorpan, an assigned VIN must be obtained from the department. (Refer to Chapter 13, “Vehicle Identification Numbers”).
The space for previous owner should show the word “assembled.”

The following evidence must support an application for title covering an assembled vehicle using a manufactured prefabricated body:

1. Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, invoice, or bill of sale covering the installed prefabricated body.

2. Bills of sale covering other component parts (frame and motor). If a 1956 through 1969 year model Volkswagen Beetle floorpan or floorpan and chassis is used, any outstanding title (or registration receipt, if non title state) covering the vehicle from which such floorpan, or floorpan and chassis, was removed must be used as a bill of sale or evidence of ownership; or if the certificate of title has already been surrendered
to the department for cancellation, a bill of sale may be used.

3. A completed Rebuilt Vehicle Statement, Form VTR-61.

4. Pencil tracing of the frame number, body number, and die-stamped motor number; and if an assigned number has been obtained, a completed Notice of Assigned Number or Installation or Reassigned Vehicle Identification Number, Form VTR-68-N must be attached.

5. Photograph of vehicle.

6. A copy of the registration receipt showing that the vehicle was registered at the time the application for title was filed.

7. Certified weight certificate.

8. Valid proof of financial responsibility, covering the described vehicle in the
applicant's name.

9. If the vehicle is from out of state, only than is an Out-of-state Vehicle Identification Certificate, VI-30, issued by a State appointed Safety Inspection Station required.

Note: If the certificate of title covering a 1956 through 1969 year model Volkswagen Beetle floorpan and chassis, including motor, is in the applicant's name or assigned to him and a “reconstructed only” is involved, the procedure under “Body Change” of this Chapter may be used. When using the “body change” procedure, if a new body is installed on a currently registered vehicle, the registration may be retained.

Last edited by jamboguru on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to add this; you will need to have MCO (Manufacturers certificate of origin) or title. They will not register a Berrien or any other chassis without one. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Perhaps there is a grey aria someplace in the law but I have not seen it. BTW, there efforts are active, not passive.

SEMA is working on some legislation in Washington that will address issues like this throughout the country.

Tom Thompson
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
jamboguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Body Changes Volkswagen Beetle

When a body change occurs on a 1956 through 1969 model Volkswagen Beetle and the certificate of title covering the Volkswagen floorpan and chassis, including motor, is in the applicant's name or assigned to him, the following procedure may be used:

Application for Corrected Title

An application for corrected title must be filed showing the make, year model, and body style of the body which was installed and the VIN, which appears on the Volkswagen floorpan must be shown on the application. If the make is not designated on the evidence of ownership covering the body, such as occurs with some prefabricated bodies, the make must be shown on the application as Assembled; and the body style as 2D (2D Sedan), 4D (4D Sedan), RD (Roadster), etc. If the make is shown as Assembled or if the year model is not designated on the evidence covering the body, the year model must be shown as the year in which the body was installed.

The following evidence must support the application:

• A properly assigned title or a title in the applicant's name covering the Volkswagen floorpan and chassis, including motor.

• Bill of sale, title, invoice, or other negotiable evidence marked “body only” covering the installed body; and such evidence must include the body number from the body.

• Pencil tracing of the new body number and the Volkswagen floorpan number.

• Photograph of vehicle. Rebuilt Vehicle

• A completed Rebuilt Vehicle Statement, Form VTR-61.

• Copy of current registration.

• Certified weight certificate.

• Valid proof of financial responsibility, covering the described vehicle, in the
applicant's name.

Note: A “Reconstructed” brand is added to the motor vehicle record and prints on the Title and all subsequent titles.
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I seen your post after I posted.

Tom Thompson
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this is starting to make me rethink the move to Texas. If they are going this hard line now, what will it be like when I get down there?
I have two or three other places in mind.

Tom Thompson
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes. But at least they are somewhat making an effort not to completely kill off the hobby. Pencil tracing a vintage kit serial number would be impossible in some cases as most didn't have that. As stated, a case - by - case basis. As Tom mentioned, the quality of the build is paramount - if it looks "safe"...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Elgin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

color=darkgreen]I registered mine about 3 months ago, so im good until March of next year. I have the original vin number and a title, I hate it that Kustoms is now thinking about not moving here. We need his type of Business in Texas. It looks like its going to be a pain but that should be a one time ordeal,(just save all the
paper work for each year).
Is there any other states that are doing this?[/color]
My Build http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5987690#5987690
My Youtube page
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqd2r1Af7uZgqlnxAtMap4A
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: