Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No more NEW Registrations in Texas?
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDCII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

The other day I went in to Renew my Registration on my street buggy.
Was told they are no longer registering buggies.. Be it Tubed framed or Tubed... I made a huge argument to them bout it till they called there main office for that district.. They confirmed what I was told the first time.
Went home, got online and searched for a new law or anything bout. Came up empty,... Nothing.. So I called the main DOT office.. Finally after a week, got my answer. I can still register mine since I've been doing it for many years now. But no NEW ones are being allowed.... So if I sell it or try and buy another I/them will not be able to.. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to fight this? Just doesn't seem right.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing that needs to be done is get a copy of the new policy in writing, including under whose authority it was issued. Contact the DOT again and make a formal Freedom of Information Act request in writing to get a full(signed) written copy of the policy.

Also figure out what VW/dune buggy clubs, groups and businesses still exist in Texas and try to make them all aware of the new policy. Get organized. Start a group. Set up a Facebook page. Throw a rally and invite the news. Ask Bruce Meyers to swing through Austin on his way across country this Fall and talk to the press. Urge everyone to sign a petition and to contact their state representatives. Contact the Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association (SEMA) and make them aware. See if you can get an attorney to file a pro-bono injunction.

I believe that in Texas, just like in this state, the bulk of the day to day DOT policies are written by administrators, not legislators the more attention and noise you can generate the more likely the anonymous administrator who just killed your hobby will back down.

Good Luck, you have my best wishes

Last edited by BL3Manx on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
RDCII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what i'm doing now, Spreading the word as much as possible. I got my registered because of a grandfather clause. But still needs to be addressed.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread should be made a sticky and info posted here (and on the HBB forum) as its received. Send Everett a PM and see what he thinks

I'm still a bit unclear on the policy, what exactly does it apply to? Just rail frame buggies? What about floorpan buggies? What about tubular chassis buggies with fiberglass bodies? What about floorpan buggies with roll cages? What about new V8 hot rods built on tubular steel chassis?
GreenMeanie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post it on the Texas Dunebuggies website.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is scary. As BL3Manx noted, please look diligently into the policy etc. If Texas can do it, any state can do it.

Everett, Please make this issue a STICKY.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be additional useful info for the Texas crowd...

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/VI/uniqueVeh.htm

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.547.htm

Good Luck!

bnc
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like if you restore (or reconstruct/build) a kit in 2013, it will be considered a 2013....not the pan that it was constructed on. ....Hmmmmm.

From the Texas DMV website under UNIQUE VDHICLES/rebuilt/reconstructed vehilces) which Brian just posted:
The year model of a reconstructed vehicle will be the same year in which it was reconstructed and not the year of original manufacture. Therefore, the inspection requirements would be for the model year of the vehicle (same as the year of reconstruction) or the year model of the engine itself, whichever is the later model.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhoefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read, it looks like sandrail style tube frame vehicles, body panels or not, would be considered "homebuilt" and cannot be registered for highway use (offroad use only). But something like a Manx that uses the vw chassis would be considered an assembled vehicle (or possibly a "body change") that could be registered.
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think those jessie james and monkey garage type of shows are going to be screwed with such things too...

what is considered resurected?? something you stored way due to funds? how many ers of non op required for such a rulling??

if you come from out of state... moving thee and none of your cars are "new" my newest is 23 years old.. and only one with non historical type of plates.. they also all diesel powered.. converted gassers to diesel.. would that make them resuredcted as i did engine swaps?
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- some states still have laws on the books disallowing engine swaps.

bryan
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One avenue to try would be the Texas "Custom vehicle" designation. I don't know how it works there, but in Washington that is a type of restricted use license that gets almost zero enforcement (and permanent registration, no annual tabs.)

Another avenue is to look at how VW pan based beach buggies used to be registered in Texas. Again in WA they used to not be retitled, and where considered a Beetle. When was that built again? Wink

Last edited by EVfun on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhoefer wrote:
From what I read, it looks like sandrail style tube frame vehicles, body panels or not, would be considered "homebuilt" and cannot be registered for highway use (offroad use only). But something like a Manx that uses the vw chassis would be considered an assembled vehicle (or possibly a "body change") that could be registered.

Texas would not be the only state that does not allow rail buggys on the street.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can have rail buggies in NC...

bnc
pafree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am/was fixing to start a vw trike project and started reading these reports. i have a couple of feelers out find out what's what.

lots of holes in the laws and would hate to pay a extra grand for a lawyer to get a car registered.
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this an announcement, but basically from what I can tell, you'll need to do it "the old school way" which is to use the VIN# from the Beetle that you are cutting up, therefore your Buggy will be registered as like a 1972 Bug. Hopefully there will be Bugs for you guys down there for a long time to come. There are plenty of ways to get titles for a Bug.
I DO NOT WARRANTY ANY CHINESE PART
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey...my old buggy is in Texas...maybe I can buy it back real cheap now......
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Bob Elgin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[clor=midnightblue]I live in Waco Texas, The vin number that i give is to a 1970 VW Bettle.I am telling the truth, with that being said the title also says vw Bettle This is news to me also. I just renewed my registration last month. I will keep a eye out on anything i see or here. I have relatives that work in the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
The only question i have is with newer registration not being recognized anymore,How is it going to effect the insurance for the car(vw beetle/ Buggy)[/color]
My Build http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5987690#5987690
My Youtube page
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqd2r1Af7uZgqlnxAtMap4A
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas?!?!? Reply with quote

RDCII wrote:
The other day I went in to Renew my Registration on my street buggy.
Was told they are no longer registering buggies.. Be it Tubed framed or Tubed...

Please clarify - are you simply trying to RENEW your existing registration? Unless TexDMV has cancelled all existing buggy registrations - in which case, you should have received letter in mail - there's no legal reason that I'd see as to you not getting a renewal...

bryan[/GVideo]
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Elgin wrote:
I live in Waco Texas, The vin number that i give is to a 1970 VW Bettle.I am telling the truth, with that being said the title also says vw Bettle This is news to me also. I just renewed my registration last month. I will keep a eye out on anything i see or here. I have relatives that work in the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
The only question i have is with newer registration not being recognized anymore,How is it going to effect the insurance for the car(vw beetle/ Buggy)

Be aware that you may be in for a rude awakening from your insurance carrier if you have a wreck/claim, and they deny coverage because your buggy is not a '19XX VW Beetle' - I've seen it happen 3 times already to other buggy owners.

bryan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: