Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No more NEW Registrations in Texas?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Elgin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nephew just called and told me no more trikes or Rail buggies on the texas roads I forgot to ask where he heard that. Nothing about fiberglass buggies.he just bought a rail buggy for it parts. I havent been to get my Tags yet,been sick with the flu,not to mention all the rain were getting, It all starts April !st
My Build http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5987690#5987690
My Youtube page
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqd2r1Af7uZgqlnxAtMap4A

Last edited by Bob Elgin on Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
l8sho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, As I said before, nearly everything a Texas buggy owner needs to know can be found in the latest edition of TxDMV Assembled Vehicle Manual. It can be found on the TxDMV website. Chapter 2.1 says, "a vehicle consists of three major components - a motor, a frame, and a body". Later it says very specifically that a vehicle without a body cannot be registered. That seems to be the part that has gotten so many pulling their hair. The manual also discusses manufactured bodies, and the use of VW pans. What I'm saying is.... its all there for anyone to read. And, unlike most government documents, for the most part its reasonably clear and easy to understand. There is also a section on assembled motorcycles. I've not studied that portion very closely. You'll have to read it for yourself.

ignore the rumors and the anguished hand-wringing. Just look it up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Elgin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE.... My nephew talked to the TEXAS DMV face to face and this is what the officer told him. If you register before April 1st They will let Register. After April 1st you try to get your Rail registered They will not let you.
If your rail or trike is still leagle after April 1st then you have untill registration out. After that no registration.

THE BIG 1. If you are found driving a ileagle buggy they will impound your buggy.

The good. if your Fiber Glass buggy or Baja is setting on a vw chassi then you are fine. I know a lot of people are building a chassi for the buggy, i also know that the way you guys are building them that its much stronger. Dont know how that works.
Like late-show said read it for yourself. there is a lot more info than what i just posted I post this here just in case some one has not been informed about the new laws

My Build http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5987690#5987690
My Youtube page
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqd2r1Af7uZgqlnxAtMap4A
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...more of 'We're the Government, and we're here to help...'

bnc
cocopuffsman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Elgin wrote:
Ive looked into that. your allowed a unrealistic amount you can drive it on the road, more or less you have tow you car for shows and they allow a certain amount of miles . It was a couple of years since ive checked it out, its probly the same.

i actually passed inspection or "inspeciones" with my dunebuggy Smile its a chenowth and i got a camper van title/vin camper van "cv" or chenowth volkswagen... its perfect fit

https://youtu.be/z5yDe0MKzYw

https://youtu.be/MpJoZYZNLLI

https://youtu.be/m8-rsKIvbos

https://youtu.be/bfYDA3-N0fg
Scott88ag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
THE BIG 1. If you are found driving a illegal buggy they will impound your buggy.

I guess I'll be testing this to see what "illegal" means. I have no fear that I will be able to register mine again this fall. It's titled as "Volkswagen" Constructed Vehicle and goes right through every year.
Inspection has never been a problem - unless you count the guys running it around the parking lot twice instead of once because they are having fun.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: getting my buggy legal Reply with quote

cocopuffsman wrote:
i plan to get my 70's chenowth dunebuggy legal but need some help.
i bought the dunebuggy in arizona where it was street legal and registered to the chenowth vin on the frame. i was thinking of going to a junk yard and getting a 1967 vw vin and title and welding it on. would this work? is it legal? what do i need to know? i need to get it street legal where i live in dallas texas.

thanks

Is it legal? NO.
Do people do this? YES.

And this is why we now get to enjoy suffering through titling & registration issues - because jackhole people do illegal things.

bnc
Criscobath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: getting my buggy legal Reply with quote

My question... Who the hell is a sand rail hurting? More government over reach. I wish politicians only worked one day a year.

didget69 wrote:
cocopuffsman wrote:
i bought the dunebuggy in arizona where it was street legal and registered to the chenowth vin on the frame. i was thinking of going to a junk yard and getting a 1967 vw vin and title and welding it on. would this work? is it legal? what do i need to know? i need to get it street legal where i live in dallas texas.

thanks

Is it legal? NO.
Do people do this? YES.

And this is why we now get to enjoy suffering through titling & registration issues - because jackhole people do illegal things.

bnc
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: getting my buggy legal Reply with quote

Criscobath wrote:
My question... Who the hell is a sand rail hurting? More government over reach. I wish politicians only worked one day a year.

didget69 wrote:
cocopuffsman wrote:

thanks

Is it legal? NO.
Do people do this? YES.

bnc

Here is another way to look at it. Imagine that someone in a sandrail has a catastrophic failure, maybe a weld breaks, and the rail crashes into a van with a few kids in it. Who is responsible for putting an unsafe vehicle on the road? Is it the person who bought it used? Or the person who originally built it? Maybe it is the company that built the frame? Or is it the state or federal government for not having a program in place to insure the safety of all vehicles licensed by them for highway use?

Overreach? Well, maybe not. People don't care if you hurt yourself in your unsafe vehicle, but when you can endanger the people around you in your unsafe vehicle that's an entirely different thing.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

And wondering what the heck happen to my Samba post count?!?
Tom Thompson
Tijuana Kustoms Inc. (TM)
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com

Last edited by kustoms on Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I call BS on that one. That is why most states have inspections!

And wondering what the heck happen to my Samba post count?!?
Tom Thompson
Tijuana Kustoms Inc. (TM)
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
Criscobath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: getting my buggy legal Reply with quote

Not trying to flame you, but that's a super big reach of a possible scenario. How many sand rails are on the road? It's more likely a plane will fall from the sky and kill a van full of kids. We're all still flying, correct?

If we play out your scenario, you might as well call the car crafting hobby/lifestyle dead. Let's all pile in our automotronic gov't guided safety pods to our padded homes/workplaces.

At some point, the hand holding is a bit too much. I'd say we've reached that point when sand rails are such a public threat that we need to relegate them to ranches and back roads.

It's more likely that someone at the DMV, with some power in their little bubble world, is jealous of a neighbor w/ a sand rail, a hot wife, and loveable kids.

That seems a more realistic scenario than what your posing.

Q-Dog wrote:
Criscobath wrote:

didget69 wrote:
cocopuffsman wrote:

thanks

Is it legal? NO.
Do people do this? YES.

bnc

Here is another way to look at it. Imagine that someone in a sandrail has a catastrophic failure, maybe a weld breaks, and the rail crashes into a van with a few kids in it. Who is responsible for putting an unsafe vehicle on the road? Is it the person who bought it used? Or the person who originally built it? Maybe it is the company that built the frame? Or is it the state or federal government for not having a program in place to insure the safety of all vehicles licensed by them for highway use?

Overreach? Well, maybe not. People don't care if you hurt yourself in your unsafe vehicle, but when you can endanger the people around you in your unsafe vehicle that's an entirely different thing.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kustoms wrote:
Well, I call BS on that one. That is why most states have inspections!

Exactly.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My state requires no inspection on cars over 35 years old...

bnc
Criscobath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I went to my local tax office to transfer my title from AZ to TX. They are denying my request. The tax office got on the phone with the local DMV office and the person on the other line said no more registration for dune buggies and/or sand rails.

I sent her pictures of my buggy and a copy of the DMV Assembled Vehicles Manual. We'll see what happens. My fear is that it's too big of a step for a government official to admit they're wrong and I'm going to get screwed over.

I'll keep everyone posted here.
Criscobath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

late-show, thank for posting the name of that document btw. I found it after a google search. When you search the DMV website, nothing comes up...imagine that!
l8sho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Glad to be of help. Keep us posted on your progress. Oh, one of my difficulties with finding information about the 68-A was that it isn't in the forms section of the DPS website. Of course that makes no sense, does it? Good luck to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Criscobath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm getting the feeling there's one of three ways to approach this.

1. Hire an attorney and fight.
2. Wait a while and go back to the tax office and try to get it titled as an assembled vehicle, hoping they forget I was there in the first place.
3. Leave it titled and tagged in AZ, as I spend half the year there anyway.

I've been doing a ton of reading online regarding the subject and I've spoken to someone as SEMA. In most cases, it sounds like getting this kind of vehicle titled is wholly dependent on the mercy of the person at the counter of the tax office.

The biggest key is to NEVER mention the words "Dune Buggy". ...EVER!
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Criscobath wrote:
Well, I'm getting the feeling there's one of three ways to approach this.

1. Hire an attorney and fight.
2. Wait a while and go back to the tax office and try to get it titled as an assembled vehicle, hoping they forget I was there in the first place.
3. Leave it titled and tagged in AZ, as I spend half the year there anyway.

I've been doing a ton of reading online regarding the subject and I've spoken to someone as SEMA. In most cases, it sounds like getting this kind of vehicle titled is wholly dependent on the mercy of the person at the counter of the tax office.

The biggest key is to NEVER mention the words "Dune Buggy". ...EVER!

I believe that the reason for banning 'dune buggies' is because ne'er-do'wells were trying to get new UTV's titled/registered/tagged/legalized for Highway Use, and Sally Mouthbreather at DMV was letting them pass through. Then, someone got injured/killed in the overgrown go-kart, and legal Hades ensued. SOMEONE has to understand the FACTS of the laws as written; they aren't open to interpretation. Facts & Truth are two entirely different things - Facts are facts, Period. Truth is merely a perspective/interpretation that doesn't have to rely on Facts.

Meanwhile, some people use the argument of having some kind of Constitutional Right to getting a vehicle tiled/registered/tagged, only to find out that vehicles aren't covered in the Constitution/Bill of Rights...

Being 'at the mercy of the drone at the tax/tag office' shouldn't be an issue - Look into the LAW that was written/passed by the politicians in office. Contact the author/s of the legislation/bill/law. Get involved & in contact with the politician & invite them to attend a VW show & talk to their 'constituents' firsthand that are affected by these laws.

If you plan to protest/fight this, get in touch with SEMA, lawyer up, and ask the Tex-DOT powers that be to show you the difference between titling/registering a fiberglass 'Manx-style' buggy, a tube frame VW-POWERED buggy, and a replica '32 Ford street rod, or 427 Cobra replica... at the end of the day, they all have 4 wheels, an engine & driveline, and carry 2 people down the road. Move forward from here as required.

Good Luck & Good Hunting!

bnc
Criscobath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow me to also add this.

When you get an inspection previous to transferring an out of state title in TX, make sure they don't use the words "DUNE BUGGY" on the inspection report.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: