Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No more NEW Registrations in Texas?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

well.. I just tried a to get a sand shark dune bug titled.. NO GO!! they(lady at DMV) were doing all they can to go through with it but denied it. I even showed the lady pictures and told her it wasn't off road.. but!! The title from Kansas says 1958 vw dunebuggy. FML!! I f it was anything but dunebuggy, it would of been ok.I say we all set a date and go to Austin in our buggies and protest !! next they will be coming after old beetles and everything else we enjoy !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Girl-Trapped
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Maybe ignorance and a little luck help...

We bought our 4-seat street rail last year (Aug 2015) from friends at church and had no idea at the time of any particular issue regarding registering/titling/insuring such a vehicle other than our friend telling me to just tell our insurance company that it was a '74 VW Bug to make things easier.

Had no problem getting the TX title transferred to our name and new plates issued, but then again we didn't know there was anything special we needed to say or ask for. Title has 1974 VOLK 2D with corresponding VIN from the rear tunnel section that was originally transplanted from the donor vehicle whenever the build occurred (I assume anyway...) AFAIK, we are the 4th owners and the original builder was somewhere near Denton in North Texas. No idea when the build was done. We paid $430 in taxes and registration on a $5000 valuation, which is what we paid.

My insurance company is Allstate, and I felt very uneasy shading the truth by not mentioning it was a dune buggy, so in my original conversation with my local agent, I told them it was a "1974 VW Super Beetle Dune Buggy." It literally took them a couple of weeks of asking me clarifying questions--is it for off-road use, is it street-legal--for them to finally tell me they had no way to insure it for me because it sounded like they normally out-source that type of coverage (off-road vehicles) to other companies. I told the lady I normally work with at my agent's office that I was not trying to be sneaky, shady, or less-than-truthful in ANY way, but it's a street legal dune buggy consisting of the engine, transmission, suspension, and electrical system of the 1974 Bug it was originally built from. I argued that the tube frame body is probably stronger than whatever condition the originally body was in, and thus safer. And since it's titled as the 1974 Bug, could we just insure it as a 1974 Bug? She agreed and thought that was a sensible way to approach it and it's been on our policy as such since last year.

My inspection went out in December of 2015, and that was probably the most difficult process I've been through. It did not have working turn signals nor an emergency brake. I spent all winter and spring fabricating the mount and assembly for the emergency brake, since there's no tunnel and thus no bracket. Plus, the hooks did not exist in the rear brakes and a full rebuild of that system was required to do the job properly (including swapping the back plates...) I finally got the signals working when I discovered my buggy had the speedo and electrical system from a Type 3 and needed a 4-prong flasher unit. Took the buggy to Pep Boys, where they wanted to see the charcoal filter plus all this other equipment that is required to be "present, but not inspected" for a 1974 vehicle. So I took it somewhere else and am fully good to go! I will be looking into the emissions stuff to see what I can put together for inspections going forward, it's just that I didn't know about any of it from my December encounter and needed to spend some time on the road before it gets too hot. Smile

Anyway, maybe more info than this thread demands, it's just the experience I've had so far. I guess the lucky part is that my title didn't say anything about a dune buggy so I didn't have the issue, but going forward who knows? I'm more than willing to modify and keep it on the road as legal as possible.
rawarrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Hey all, first post and have read through this whole thread with interest. I recently moved to TX from NY, and sold my off-road only rail up there a while before I moved. Now I'm in warmer weather, got the itch again, and there's a lot more nice rails down here.

I read the TX Assembled Vehicle manual, and it seems pretty cut-and-dried that "stripped down" vehicles are outright banned and cannot be legally registered for street use. However, a quick look at craigslist turns up easily a dozen VW based rail cars that claim to be street legal, and the couple owners I talked to says they are just titled as the "donor" VW, say a '69 VW 2-door. A couple register them on the Antique plates so the inspection requirement is waived, and if you do happen to get pulled over they just say they're on the way to or from a shop to have it worked on. Of 4 owners I chatted up, none said they'd ever had issues registering/insuring them. "Just pretend it's a plain old beetle and leave it at that". I get that as long as DMV doesn't catch wind that it's an "assembled" vehicle and continues to think it's a beetle, you won't have any registration issues.

My bigger concern is actually driving the thing around. Are rail cars cop magnets now since it seems virtually impossible to "correctly" title them in TX? Don't want to sink a bunch of money into one and then get pulled over an impounded the first time it goes out.

What about taking the "clean" TX vw title, and registering it in a neighboring state? I'd think at that point the worst a TX trooper could do is hassle you about getting the tag transferred, although I will have perpetually "just moved" and not had a chance to transfer yet. Arizona seems to be much more friendly to buggies and rails as far as titling, and there's so many recent transplants in the Austin area there's about as many non-Texas license plates on cars as TX ones.

I'd hate to give up on owning one of these over some DMV nonsense- what have Texans with rail cars been doing since 2013 when they enacted these new laws?
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

rawarrior wrote:
Hey all, first post and have read through this whole thread with interest. I recently moved to TX from NY, and sold my off-road only rail up there a while before I moved. Now I'm in warmer weather, got the itch again, and there's a lot more nice rails down here.

I read the TX Assembled Vehicle manual, and it seems pretty cut-and-dried that "stripped down" vehicles are outright banned and cannot be legally registered for street use. However, a quick look at craigslist turns up easily a dozen VW based rail cars that claim to be street legal, and the couple owners I talked to says they are just titled as the "donor" VW, say a '69 VW 2-door. A couple register them on the Antique plates so the inspection requirement is waived, and if you do happen to get pulled over they just say they're on the way to or from a shop to have it worked on. Of 4 owners I chatted up, none said they'd ever had issues registering/insuring them. "Just pretend it's a plain old beetle and leave it at that". I get that as long as DMV doesn't catch wind that it's an "assembled" vehicle and continues to think it's a beetle, you won't have any registration issues.

My bigger concern is actually driving the thing around. Are rail cars cop magnets now since it seems virtually impossible to "correctly" title them in TX? Don't want to sink a bunch of money into one and then get pulled over an impounded the first time it goes out.

What about taking the "clean" TX vw title, and registering it in a neighboring state? I'd think at that point the worst a TX trooper could do is hassle you about getting the tag transferred, although I will have perpetually "just moved" and not had a chance to transfer yet. Arizona seems to be much more friendly to buggies and rails as far as titling, and there's so many recent transplants in the Austin area there's about as many non-Texas license plates on cars as TX ones.

I'd hate to give up on owning one of these over some DMV nonsense- what have Texans with rail cars been doing since 2013 when they enacted these new laws?

I don't mean to be a Debbie-Downer, but the 'sleight of hand' maneuvers that 'other buggy owners' pull in order to get the cars titles/registered & later get busted for having done shenanigans does NOTHING to benefit other buggy owners that want to do 'the Right Thing'.

The use of Antique plates to cheat the system will eventually lead to 'the Man' passing rules/laws that penalize all owners - like the dipshots that try to register ATV/UTVs as street-legal 'buggies'... THIS is the reason that Texas (and other states) are cracking down on the VW-based buggy folks with a heavy hand.

The DMV people are simply doing their jobs, based on the laws that the Legislature passes. Time could be better spent on working with the politicians in a logical manner to get them over to the side of the buggyists & have laws passed that benefit the buggy community.

...but, some dipshot buggyist will work his best to undo your efforts while trying to circumvent the system.

bnc
supercharged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

rawarrior wrote:

You are correct.. the DMV laws in Texas are oppressive compared to other states, even the surrounding states. And to add insult to injury, most of the time the folks working in the DMV office do not even know or understand their on policies.

I have owned old cars for the past 30 years in Texas and every time I go to register a vehicle its a giant hassle. And it all depends upon the local cops as to whether they pull you over to give you heat or not. I drive to work everyday with folks in classic and modified cars sporting antique plates (same cars everyday) and to date I have never seen one pulled over.

But my daughter got pulled over the first day she test drove the 68 Ford Galaxie we restored, but she was 18 and very cute...so I guess the cop had other reasons to pull her over! Rolling Eyes

Compare to all the other crazy laws our state legislature passes I guess outlawing buggies and sand rails is the least of most Texans problems..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supercharged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

I just read through the Texas DMV "Motor Vehicle Title Manual" dated April 2017, and this is what it states as vehicles not eligible for a title:

Not Eligible for Texas Title
The term “motor vehicle” does not apply to the following, which are not eligible to be
titled:
• implements of husbandry;
• construction machinery;
• mobile cranes;
• water well drilling units;
• oil well servicing units;
• mini trucks;
• golf carts;
• vehicles missing or stripped of their motor, frame, or body, to the extent that it materially alters the manufacturer’s original design or makes the vehicle unsafe for on-road operation as determined by the department;
• vehicles designed or determined by the department to be a dune buggy;
• vehicles designed or determined by the department to be for on-track racing, unless such vehicles meet the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) for on-road use and are reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration;
• vehicles designed or determined by the department to be for off-road use only, unless specifically defined as a “motor vehicle” in Transportation Code, Chapter 501; or
• vehicles assembled, built, constructed, rebuilt, or reconstructed in any manner with a body or frame from a vehicle which is a nonrepairable motor vehicle or a motor or engine from a vehicle which is flood damaged, water damaged, or any other term which may reasonably establish the vehicle from which the motor or engine was obtained is a loss due to a water related event.

However under the "Assembled and Rebuilt Vehicle Manual" also dated April 2017, it seems that you may be able to have it classified as a "Reconstructed" brand, just don't use the term Dune Buggy.

Seems very confusing Shocked
aquavette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Have you seen the progress we are making in regards to Administrative Rule 217.3. Please go check out Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Sandrail, & Kitcars. Please feel free to join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/SavetheTexasDuneBuggy/ to keep up to date with what we are doing!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Doesn't look good:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/11/06/texas-beg...-kit-cars/

And bound to spread . . . MAN does this ever suck ! ! !
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Don’t be so pessimistic, we are working our butts off to amend Administrative Rule 217.3. The Legislative Consultant (Ron Hinkle) that we hired is credited with amending the rule that kept Dealers from Buying/Selling the Polaris Slingshot. In addition we have a lot of Texas State Reps that pretty upset with the TxDMV for what they have done. I suggest that you join the “Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Sandrail, Kitcar Facebook page to see just how good this does in fact look. I also suggest that you send out send a Petition Letter that we have provided as well, it will give us a chance to have the Mic at the next TxDMV Board Meeting December 7th, 2017. There is a team of us that have put in a lot of hours individually, and we all feel that we have an extremely good chance at Amending Administrative Rule 217.3! THINK POSITIVE!
Thank You for reading,
Faron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

" I suggest that you join the “Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Sandrail, Kitcar Facebook page to see just how good this does in fact look."

I'll do just that, and thanks for all that you guys are doing in Texas 'cause you just know that this will spread unless it's stopped at the source.

Good Luck ! !
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

I have zero interest in facebook. Any other way to keep up with this?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Third
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Not really "new" news, but the shit has hit the fan now that the title revocation letters have started to appear in mailboxes....

*this article actually links to this Samba thread

This is important, because YOUR states are next if this continues. This has been brewing since the 2013 law was written, but only now has the DMV mandated it's strict enforcement. And they are all up Law Enforcement's ass to see it carried out.

This is bigger than "dune buggies" or kit cars". It will effect all sorts of vehicles (trucks or baja bugs with motor swaps, custom motorcycles, etc). The reach of this cancer is already festering...

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/11/06/texas-beg...-kit-cars/

Last edited by Third on Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Third
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
I have zero interest in facebook. Any other way to keep up with this?

The FB group has a petition you can sign.

No way to upload it here, though.

Has to be postmarked by Nov 9
Third
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

https://jalopnik.com/texas-is-revoking-titles-from-dune-buggies-and-kit-cars-1820177474
Third
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

https://bangshift.com/general-news/dune-buggy-texas-get-ready-surrender-title-plates/
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Faron has been in a meeting with the Texas DMV along with other folks all morning today discussing this legislation. According to the FB feed, there seems to be some positive comments and movement in the 'right' direction.
Yaleiza07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

It was a very positive meeting...

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/12/08/texas-dmv...ents-block

Hope we keep our voices spreading the news regarding this important event so more and more hobbyists can express our stories that have passed from father to son for 3 generations so we can finally have our buggies legally here in Texas and other states will eventually follow this pattern.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SavetheTexasDuneBuggy/
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Maybe they will repeal it as they did with the helmet rule for motorcycles. It's still a good idea to wear a helmet.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: