Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No more NEW Registrations in Texas?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Been trying to track down, to no avail. Who authored this amendment to the code? Is there transcript of what their rationale was? Where the lobbying efforts came from?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

You can learn a lot by joining this page. We are working on this issue.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SavetheTexasDuneBuggy/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kmichael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Yet another assault on the car hobby. I just gave a few bucks to the SavetheTexasDuneBuggy/Kitcar on GoFundMe and I live in California! As owners of old and unusual cars we are all potential targets. Get the word out.

Kim
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

CALL TO ACTION!
Fellow Texas State Dune Buggy Owners, it has been a while. However I am sure that you know we have been hard at work, so that we be prepared to make comprehensive changes to Administrative 217.3(B).
In our continued digging we found out about the Sunset Commission. The Legislature created the Sunset Commission in 1977, to question the need for as well as the success of agencies carrying out the responsibilities of the State Government. The Legislature relies on the Sunset process take a look at State Agencies and programs to see if they are still relevant, and if so, how they can do their jobs better. The Sunset is made up of 5 Senators, 5 House Members, and 2 members of the general public. The Chairman of the Sunset Commission is Senator Brian Birdwell & his chief of staff has already shown a great interest in our Title & Registration issue.
Here is the good news; the TxDMV is under Sunset Review this year. The TxDMV provided a Self-Evaluation report, what’s important in that is that the major issue they note. They are looking to clarify the process for appealing the department’s decision to refuse, revoke, or suspend a Title. The TxDMV report is expected to be published in April. From there public hearings on the TxDMV sunset report will begin for any interested party who wishes to testify.
Here is how it will all work.
Step 1: Sunset Staff Evaluation
The Sunset Staff will perform extensive research and analysis to evaluate the need for, performance of, and improvements to the agency under review.
Step 2: Sunset Commission Deliberation
The Sunset Commission conducts a public hearing to take testimony on the staff report and the agency overall. Later, the Commission meets again to vote on which changes to recommend to full Legislature.
Step 3: Legislative Action
The full Legislature conciders Sunset recommendations and makes final determinations.
The Sunset Commission is currently in the Step 1 period. Within the self-evaluation report by the TxDMV. One of their major issues is TxDMV Self-Evaluation Report is as follows:
Issue 1: Clarify the process for appealing the department’s decision to refuse, revoke or suspend a title.
Okay now that you have read all of that here is what we are suggesting people who are Texas State Residents to do. Please send a letter to the Sunset Staff that is close to what we suggest bellow.
We are working on a letter that you can send to the Sunset Commission, which you can closely follow. But we do ask that the letter only be sent by people who are Texas State Residents & that you let us know how you sent the letter that will be posted later today. It would be really nice to have a rolling count on what was sent. (We will post the USPS Address as well as the Email Address when the letter is posted.

The Sunset Commission Letter! If you send this letter PLEASE let us know if you sent it USPS or Email as it would be really nice to keep a rolling Count.
The letter can be sent to Sunset Commission:

1. electronically at
https://www.sunset.texas.gov/input-form-private?id=472...
DEPARTMENT MOTOR VEHICLES TD

2. Letter to the Texas Sunset Commission at Sunset Advisory Commission, PO
Box 13066, Austin, Texas 78711, attn.: Amy Tripp. Ms. Tripp is the project
manager working on the TxDMV sunset issue

My name is _______________ and I am providing comments regarding the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Sunset self-evaluation report on major issue 1 regarding the department’s decision to refuse revoke or suspend a title. Titles and registration on certain vehicles have either been revoked or the department has refused to issue titles and registrations on certain vehicles. The problem with these revocations is that the department has not established a consistent and firm position as to why the revocations and the decision not to issues titles and registration have been done.

More specifically, the department has made a rule not to allow Dune Buggies to be titled and registered for street use. In addition, the department has also made arbitrary rulings on other vehicles called Sandrails as well as Kitcars and has made similar and inconsistent decisions on the title and registration of those vehicles. Dune Buggies, Sandrails, and Kitcars, are essentially assembled vehicles.

At a December 7, 2017 TxDMV board meeting numerous owners of assembled vehicles provided expert testimony on the facts of persons owning fabricating and assembling these vehicles. The department decision is not consistent with the market place and federal laws and rulings and its own state laws. Below are facts provided to the department during the December 7 board meeting:

1. An assembled vehicle by definition in the TxDMV manual is a vehicle assembled from the three basic component parts (motor, frame, and body), except that a motorcycle must have a frame and motor, and a trailer or travel trailer will have no motor, and that is:
(i)assembled from new or used materials and parts by someone not regulated as a motor vehicle manufacturer;
(ii)altered or modified to the extent that it no longer reflects the original manufacturer's configuration; or
(iii)assembled from a kit even if a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin or Manufacturer's Statement of Origin is provided.

Dune Buggies, Sandrail, & Kitcars are an assembled vehicles that meets one of these standards.

2. Dune Buggies, prior to the department’s effective date of April 6, 2014 are not specifically addressed in department rules. This inconsistency allows the same type of dune buggy prior to the aforementioned 2014 date to operate legally in Texas. I request the department reinstate the title and registration of my dune buggy to be consistent with other similar vehicles safely and legally operating in Texas. Dune Buggies are not defined in Texas law, therefore, it is difficult to see how the department can determine the legality of a vehicle that is not defined.

3. Transportation Code Sections 501 and 504 regarding custom vehicles and street rods are inconsistent as stated by TxDMV staff. Therefore, if custom vehicles that are defined similar to assembled vehicle, which identifies a variety of kit cars, and are deemed legal to title and registration then the result would be for my vehicle to be treated likewise. This fits into “one” of the categories that was stated at the December board meeting.

4. TxDMV staff stated that the decision to revoke titles and registration was done at the local level by clerks at county tax-assessor collectors. It was stated that there are thousands of title clerks across the state that struggle with making these determinations at their offices on a daily basis. This struggle to make these determinations have caused titles and registrations to be incorrectly revoked.

5. According to department staff, there is not a consistent or clear determination by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) regarding vehicles that are subject to the department’s review.

The assembled vehicles are being improperly evaluated and the department is relying on either local tax assessor rulings that the department admits is inconsistent or the department is not following its own policies regarding the types of vehicles they claim are street legal.

Due to the rulings and decisions by the department, private citizens are being denied the right to own and operate a privately owned vehicle resulting in loss of personal freedoms, loss of private sector investment, supply chain disruption; lost jobs and wages; and; loss of state and local revenues to the TxDMV from title and registration fees.
Given these incorrect rulings and inconsistencies with federal and state law, the department should immediately reinstate and provide future title and registration to those assembled vehicles that have passed the department mandated vehicle inspection and title and registration process.
Thank you for your time and attention in this important matter.

Best regards,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Please note, this letter is to be sent from buggy owners and prospective owners/in build status/residents, that are from Texas.

I would love to send the letter too, but I am from WV.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yaleiza07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Just sent my Letter today via email...

Raul Torres from Roanoke, TX (Yaleiza07)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tx_buggy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I just drove 18 hours to pickup my new buggy last weekend from Oklahoma. (I'm in Texas). Now, I've read through this thread about the on-going fight to rescind the ban against dune buggies. (which is outrageous). This morning I made a contribution to the Go Fund Me to help push this fight forward.

My question is this, my buggy is titled as a 1966 Volk VW 2DR. Can I go to my local DMV today to register it in my name? If so, is there anything in particular that I need to say or do? I know not to ever mention "dune buggy" but just wasn't sure if I went now if it would "flag" me for attempting to register a dune buggy.

Any input would be appreciated! Just trying to see if there's anyone else that has successfully registered a VW dune buggy since the Texas Administrative Rule 217.3 (6), has passed.

Thanks!
--
A fellow VW Dune Buggy Enthusiast
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
Bob Elgin wrote:
I live in Waco Texas, The vin number that i give is to a 1970 VW Bettle.I am telling the truth, with that being said the title also says vw Bettle This is news to me also. I just renewed my registration last month. I will keep a eye out on anything i see or here. I have relatives that work in the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
The only question i have is with newer registration not being recognized anymore,How is it going to effect the insurance for the car(vw beetle/ Buggy)

Be aware that you may be in for a rude awakening from your insurance carrier if you have a wreck/claim, and they deny coverage because your buggy is not a '19XX VW Beetle' - I've seen it happen 3 times already to other buggy owners.

bryan

Yes, Titling/Registering/Insuring your Dune Buggy/Sandrail/Kitcar as a VW Beetle, could very well be seen as Falsifying a Legal Document or Insurance Fraud. BE CAREFUL in doing so.
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Good Morning Everyone, I have some good news! As most of you know, the Assembled Vehicles Working Group Meeting is all set to be held February 28th & March 1st. I just received the list of Invited Attendees, and the Agenda. I am not going to post everything at the advice of our Lobbyist, but I will point out what is important. A list of Invited Attendees include 15 TxDMV or State Employees, (Most of who we have already spoke to) and 12 Industry, Associations, and Other Stakeholders. Attorney for National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(NHTSA), President - Factory 5 Racing, Senior Director - Specialty Equipment Market Association(SEMA), General Counsel - Texas Automobile Dealers Association (TADA), Program Manager - American Association of Motor Vehicle Administration (AAMVA), 2 Owners of DF Kitcar, Justin, Ron, and myself. Please note that this is a list of Invited Attendees, there is no guarantee that they will all show up at this point. As for the agenda. The 28th will mostly be introductions and an overview of current Laws & Regulations both State level as well as Federal. The 1st will be when the discussions begin! It looks to me like they really want to try and figure out a way to make it possible for us to get our vehicles back on the road LEGALLY, as that is where the afternoons discussions seem to be geared. Problem is that I don't think this is the meeting were we will find a conclusion, as they already have a second meeting tentatively planned for April 19th. I also want to add that this meeting is unfortunately by invite only, and we had nothing to do with who was invited or had a say in how the meeting is planned. As usual, I will give a brief summery of everything as we go along. This is good news, as it still seems that they want to a reasonable solution that will let Safe Dune Buggies, Sandrails, and Kitcars back on the road LEGALLY. While keeping "Frankencars" that are simply unsafe OFF the road!
66/440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

BuggyFaron wrote:
Good Morning Everyone, I have some good news! As most of you know, the Assembled Vehicles Working Group Meeting is all set to be held February 28th & March 1st. I just received the list of Invited Attendees, and the Agenda. I am not going to post everything at the advice of our Lobbyist, but I will point out what is important. A list of Invited Attendees include 15 TxDMV or State Employees, (Most of who we have already spoke to) and 12 Industry, Associations, and Other Stakeholders. Attorney for National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(NHTSA), President - Factory 5 Racing, Senior Director - Specialty Equipment Market Association(SEMA), General Counsel - Texas Automobile Dealers Association (TADA), Program Manager - American Association of Motor Vehicle Administration (AAMVA), 2 Owners of DF Kitcar, Justin, Ron, and myself. Please note that this is a list of Invited Attendees, there is no guarantee that they will all show up at this point. As for the agenda. The 28th will mostly be introductions and an overview of current Laws & Regulations both State level as well as Federal. The 1st will be when the discussions begin! It looks to me like they really want to try and figure out a way to make it possible for us to get our vehicles back on the road LEGALLY, as that is where the afternoons discussions seem to be geared. Problem is that I don't think this is the meeting were we will find a conclusion, as they already have a second meeting tentatively planned for April 19th. I also want to add that this meeting is unfortunately by invite only, and we had nothing to do with who was invited or had a say in how the meeting is planned. As usual, I will give a brief summery of everything as we go along. This is good news, as it still seems that they want to a reasonable solution that will let Safe Dune Buggies, Sandrails, and Kitcars back on the road LEGALLY. While keeping "Frankencars" that are simply unsafe OFF the road!

Any report on how this meeting went?
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

The meeting went good, but nothing is resolved just yet. The TxDMV will be setting up a follow up meeting for sometime in April. You are welcome to join the Facebook Group to see up to date information as we go along. https://www.facebook.com/groups/SavetheTexasDuneBuggy/

Thanks,
Faron
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Good Morning fellow Dune Buggy, Sandrail & Kitcar Owners.
PLEASE ONLY LIKE THIS IF YOU ARE GOING TO SEND A LETTER TO YOUR STATE Legislators.
We are about to get started sending letters to our State Legislators once again! Below you will find a VERY good example of what we are looking for you to send. (A form Letter if you will.) You are welcome to cut & Paste or come up with your own. It does not matter, just send out a letter to your State Rep. When we did this last time, the TxDMV Received almost 200 letters. It would be really be nice to see far more go out to our State Legislators.
A big Thank you to Member Alan Holmes, for letting us another Form Letter that he has written. r Texas State Legislators are.
http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/Home.aspx
A big Thank you to Member Alan Holmes, for letting us use another Form Letter that he has written.
Hello __________,
I want to inform you of an issue that myself and many others are having with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. A group by the name of the "Assembled Vehicles Coalition" has been attending a "Working Group" hosted by the TxDMV. The "Working Group" has been working towards a way to amend Administrative Rule 217.3. The "Working Group" was set up by the TxDMV to present our proposed changes that they said they would discuss with us. We complied and were prepared to discuss those in what was scheduled to be a half-day meeting. This was the second of two "Working Group" Meetings.
Early in the meeting the TxDMV told us that any effort to compare our "Assembled Vehicles" to any other class of vehicle such as shop-made motorcycles, three wheelers, rat rods, hot rods, low riders, lifted truck, autocycles etc (which ARE ALL legal) would not be heard because those vehicles were in a different class and each class stood alone. That makes no sense to us.
We were told that our class did not meet Federal Safety Standards and therefore would not be titled or registered. As I am sure you know, those standards involve things such as airbags, anti-lock brakes, emissions controls, etc., something that a VW based vehicle could ever reasonably do. When we asked why this did not apply to the other classes, we were told that the Department had not yet reviewed them.
Not too long after the meeting began, we were told that there was nothing more to discuss and that the Ruling to ban dune buggies, sandrails and most kit cars would stand as written. We felt betrayed by the Department because we were not even given the opportunity to present our proposals. Further, they said that their authority to enact such administrative rulings, which basically are like laws, came from the Texas Transportation Act of 2013 and it was valid.
We have checked with our group members from almost every other state and find that Texas now has the most stringent and restrictive laws concerning assembled vehicles than any other state in the nation including California, New York, Massachusetts, ......... I could go on and on. That is certainly not what one would expect from TEXAS. It is unnerving to think that the state with the most stringent emission laws allows Assembled Vehicles & the Great State of Texas does not.
Prior to now, our group has chosen to take the high road in our effort to change the rulings in a gentile, business-like manner. We opted to not involve the press or any other medium in hopes that the issue could easily be resolved. Unfortunately, the Department shut the door on that.
However, barring a change of heart by the Department, we are now entering an all-out media campaign against the Department. On Friday May 4th, 2018, we will be publishing a Press Release to local and national media to include print, televised, social, celebrity and any other means to get our message out there. That is something we held off doing up until now.
Further, we are already receiving support from several major national auto hobby-related organizations because the spread of such rulings to other parts of the country would have negative impact them. We plan to expand that list as well.
Obviously, this is not at all where we wanted this to go, but with all of the time and money that our members have invested in their vehicles, we are not going away quietly. I cannot even begin to imagine what response would come from the members of the other classes of vehicles if similar rulings are put into place for them, as they are Much Larger and well-funded than we are.
Lastly, it is my fear is that all of this will lead to criticism of the legislators, including those of the Transportation Committee who gave such broad, unbridled power to the Department to enact these rulings
Thank You,
​Sign Your Name
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

We are gaining traction!

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/05/04/txdunebuggy-03/?refer=news
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

BuggyFaron wrote:
We have been working on this project for over a year & we have accomplished a lot. But we are not finished yet.
Thousands of dollars have been raised. (All Funds Raised go to support Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Sandrail & Kitcar. If you would like to donate, PayPal [email protected] or you can send in a check.)
Thousands of hours have been donated.
We hired the Lobbyist who is credited with getting the Polaris Slingshot Legal in the State of Texas. We have attended multiple TxDMV Board Meetings.
Attended 3 Working Group Meetings that the TxDMV Board, directed the Director of the TxDMV Title & Registration division to organize. (SEMA, as well as Factory 5 Racing, were both involved. SEMA is still keeping a close eye on the situation.)
Attended a Sunset Commission Meeting. (Where we were a topic of concern.)
Talked to just about everyone in the Texas State Capitol Building. (Most of whom do not understand why the TxDMV arbitrarily made this rule WITHOUT their direction)
Written hundreds of letters to Executives at the TxDMV.
Written hundreds of letters to Legislators.
Held a Rally on the South Lawn of the Texas State Capitol Building where Bruce & Winnie Meyers, the inventor of the Dune Buggy Attended. Mike & Lorie Ann Dario the President & Secretary of the International Manx Club with over 5000 members were also in attendance.
We have a Bill Written that we assume will be on the Docket of the next Legislative Session that starts in January of 2019.
All that, & we still have work to do! At the moment everything is pretty quiet due to a "Christmas Coma" & I assume that it will stay this way until after the first of the year. But that does not stop the bill that comes in every month to pay Ron our Lobbysit. Ron our Lobbyist still needs a monthly check & we are shy at the moment, please donate if you can. PayPal to [email protected] We have come this far because of Rons guidance & hard work, it would be a shame if he had to slow down or quit because we can no longer pay him. Please help if you can.
Not long ago we asked that all of our fellow Texas Dune Buggy Owners send an email with their Name, City/Town, & Zip Code to [email protected] for our records. We will also be sending specific updates that we would like to keep from the public eye AKA the prying eyes of the TxDMV who are still closely monitoring what we are doing. As of the time, this is being written, we only have 52 people on that list. We really need your help! Please send the above info to [email protected]
The way we see it... we are in the third quarter of the Superbowl & the odds are in our favor. But we still need to continue to bring our A game. PLEASE HELP WHERE YOU CAN!

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Das Lil'l Beast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

RDCII wrote:
The other day I went in to Renew my Registration on my street buggy.
Was told they are no longer registering buggies.. Be it Tubed framed or Tubed... I made a huge argument to them bout it till they called there main office for that district.. They confirmed what I was told the first time.
Went home, got online and searched for a new law or anything bout. Came up empty,... Nothing.. So I called the main DOT office.. Finally after a week, got my answer. I can still register mine since I've been doing it for many years now. But no NEW ones are being allowed.... So if I sell it or try and buy another I/them will not be able to.. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to fight this? Just doesn't seem right.
Das Lil'l Beast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

RDCII wrote:
Was told they are no longer registering buggies.. Be it Tubed framed or Tubed... I made a huge argument to them bout it till they called there main office for that district.. They confirmed what I was told the first time.
Went home, got online and searched for a new law or anything bout. Came up empty,... Nothing.. So I called the main DOT office.. Finally after a week, got my answer. I can still register mine since I've been doing it for many years now. But no NEW ones are being allowed.... So if I sell it or try and buy another I/them will not be able to.. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to fight this? Just doesn't seem right.
Quote:
Quote:

I would suggest you look at Faron Smith's posts on the special face book page: "SAVE THE TEXAS DUNE BUGGY" It is loaded with current information based on a number of trips we have made to Austin, TX. Suggest you make a donation to assist with our lobist & attorney.
Das Lil'l Beast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

RDCII wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would suggest you look at Faron Smith's posts on the special face book page: "SAVE THE TEXAS DUNE BUGGY" It is loaded with current information based on a number of trips we have made to Austin, TX. Suggest you make a donation to assist with our lobist & attorney.
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Das Lil'l Beast wrote:
RDCII wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is an issue that we have been working on for over a year now, and we are well on our way to correcting the problem. You can find out more information on our Facebook Page, website, or you can contact me directly. I will post that information at the end of this post.

You were able to Re-Register your Dune Buggy because of the Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Sandrail & Kitcar also know as the Assembled Vehicle Coalition of Texas. In December 7th, 2017 we attended a TxDMV Board of Directors meeting and that is where our fight started & when the TxDMV agreed to Grandfather anyone who had a Dune Buggy, Sandrail, or Kitcar LEGALLY Titled & Registered in their name since before the Administrative Rule Changed in April of 2014.

Texas Administrative Code, Title 43, Part 10, Chapter 217, Subchapter A, Rule 217.3
(6) Not eligible for Title. The following are not eligible for a Texas Title regardless of the vehicles previous title/or registration in this or any jurisdiction.
(A) Vehicles that are missing or stripped of their motor, frame, or body, to the point that it materially alters the manufacturer’s original design or makes the vehicle unsafe for on-road operation as determined by the department.
(B) Vehicles designed or determined by the department to be a Dune Buggy.
Additionally, Transportation Code 502.048 allows the department to refuse registration to any motor vehicle the department determines to be unsafe, improperly equipped, or otherwise unfit to be operated on a [public highway.

Fast Forward to today and you will find out that we are working on getting a Bill passed in the 2019 session. We are VERY Close to correcting this issue but we still have work to do.

The Lobbyist that we have working with us has really helped us make a difference.

www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SavetheTexasDuneBuggy/

[email protected]
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Monday, January 21st, 2019, Ron our Lobbyist, gave us an update. He said that the Newly appointed Texas State Senate Transportation Committee for the 86th Legislative session was announced. That is good news as it means that they will finally get things underway, we hope.
Chair: Sen. Robert Nichols, Jacksonville
Vice Chair: Sen. Kelly Hancock, R-North Richland Hills
Members: Sen. Carol Alvarado, D-Houston
Sen. Juan Hinojosa, D- Edinburg
Sen. Lois W. Kolkhorst, R-Brenham
Sen. Charles Perry, R-Lubbock
Sen. José R. Rodríguez, D-El Paso
Sen. Charles Schwertner, R- Georgetown
Sen. Royce West, D-Dallas
As of the time that I am writing this, our Bill is being rewritten by Attorneys, once they have put everything into the "legal language", it will be presented to us in order to look over and make any corrections we feel might be necessary. We will post when this happens.
After the Attorneys have done their due diligence Texas State Senator Ed Thompson (R) District 29 will present our Bill to the Texas State House Transportation Committee.
After the House Transportation Committee, the Bill will be presented to the Texas State Senate Transportation Committee.
Once both the House & Senate Transportation Committees have passed our Bill. It will be presented to both the House as well as the Senate Floor for Debate.
At this point, you are probably asking yourself what you can be doing while this LONG process takes place.
Most importantly, you can follow along on the "Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Sandrail, & Kitcar Facebook page.
Be prepared to attend any meetings that we ask you to attend. (On the Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Sandrail, & Kitcar Facebook Page.) So get those dress clothes to the cleaners in order to be prepared, we HAVE GOT TO HAVE LARGER NUMBERS show up to the meetings we ask you to attend than we have in the past. Remember there is strength in numbers.
It is understood that it feels a lot like we are asking everyone to sit on our hands, seeing how we were all so individually active a few months back. But sending letters & making calls at this time very well could do more harm than good at this point. As each Legislator is getting bombarded and their time is very limited right now. What we need to do is let Ron (Our Lobbyist) do the job we are paying him for. I have been with him in Downtown Austin on more than one occasion, it seems everyone who walks around downtown Austin, knows who Ron is & knows who he represents. It's pretty close to being with a Rock Star. LOL
Lastly, we NEED YOUR continued donations! Please keep in mind that all proceeds go to fund the fight & we can not do this without your donations. If you would like to make a donation, please donate to our PayPal Account at the [email protected] account.
WindRyder06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

If you are a Dune Buggy owner, Rail Buggy owner, VW enthusiast or a custom car enthusiast, Please donate to the cause. If the Texas DMV is successful in keeping Dune Buggies off the street they will start looking for other "modified" vehicles to remove from the road. If Texas wins, other states could and more than likely will follow suite. Please donate $1, $5 or $10, whatever you can donate to keep all of our cars on the streets. We are rounding the corner to the home stretch and can see the finish line. No donation is too small. Please donate to our PayPal Account at [email protected].
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: