Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No more NEW Registrations in Texas?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Cali sort of crossed the bridge a long time ago....

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/spcnsreg

See statement about VW Beetle ...

I'm not sure when Washington crossed the titling line, we do a more modern system now with a kit title. I know the old system lasted into the early '90's. I bought my beach buggy from a state licensed used car dealer with a Bug title (1964 VW Beetle, color: purple.) I looked over the current guidelines and it seems correct to stay a Bug (which honestly it mostly still is, despite appearance) even if I sold it now (because I already have a recognized VIN.)

Has the Texas dune buggy effort done research into how kit cars, including beach buggies, where correctly titled and/or registered in Texas in the past? There may be some jems in old state laws that show old Bug titles to be correct or show no requirement to retitled at some prior time. Look for loopholes, even if only to use to make current laws easier.

"Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together." -- Red Green
Yaleiza07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

I have my Manx II with a VW Beetle Title. I want to use my investment freely without the worry of having to deal with any X problems due to many loopholes that can be use to get it on the road. I will surely hate to wait, but I prefer to have this new bill been work on properly and hoping that the end product doesn't translate into more problem at the TxDMV office.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Saturday, August 12th, 2017 was…
1045 Days
Do I have your attention?
2 years, 10 Months. & 10 Days
How about now?
34 Months, 10 Days
Perhaps now?
However you choose to look at it… that is a LONG time & how long this effort took.
I am sure some of you are thinking to yourself, what the heck is Faron talking about?
I just got word that on June 22, 2020, Assembled Vehicle Owners will be able to start the process of LEGAL Title/Registration of our hobbyist-built vehicles. Yes, you read that correctly! MONDAY, June 22nd, 2020 is when we can start the process of getting our Assembled Vehicles back on the road legally!
I know that June 22nd is 73 Days from today, but nothing has been quick when it comes to working with the bureaucrats at the TxDMV, and then the fact that they are working from home due to COVID-19 adds more time to that equation. We are lucky that its just June 22nd, 2020. Before you ask, the actual guidelines, as well as forms, have not been released just yet. But I assume they will be released soon. Rest assured, we will get that information out to you soon after we receive it.
That is all for now…
Now get in the garage and get to work on your Assembled Vehicle, you only have 73 days to get it in Tip-Top Shape, & ready for an inspection by an ASE Certified Master Technician!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Thank You!
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
l8sho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the TXDOT changes actually went through? If so, has it been published so I can review the latest version. I quit rebuilding my Sandhopper a couple of years ago because of all of the bad news about pulled/cancelled titles and so on. Still have a good (legal) title. Sure would like to finish it and get it registered. Any updated information would be appreciated.
Thank you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Elgin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Yes it did go through. I recently went through the long and painful process. Took me the better part of a month. My Buggy is now a 2020 Assemble Vehicle , Not a 1973 Spatz. Paper work was terrible but i did it. If you live in a town that does NOT have a ASE Certified Technician like i do it can be very frustrating. It depends on how much you want or love your buggy.
My Build http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5987690#5987690
My Youtube page
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqd2r1Af7uZgqlnxAtMap4A
l8sho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

Thank you so very much for the updated information. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it. Guess what I intend to be doing starting this evening!
HippieBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

New to this Dune Buggy Topic. Just purchased a Dune Buggy in Texas to restore. No paperwork other than a Bill of Sale. I understand I will need to get a Bonded Title. That's not a big deal. The vin of the 67 Bettle the buggy sits on is still in the Texas system.

Does anyone see any issue I might need to think about? Do not want to restore this buggy and then have title issues.
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

I was one of the people that worked on getting HB1755 passed, a bill that reversed the overstep by the TxDMV. There is a new & sometimes challenging process to get your Dune Buggy LEGALLY Title/Registered in Texas. Not only will I post a write-up by my friend Allan who gives you a play-by-play on his journey to get his Dune Buggy Street Legal. But I also suggest that you also join a couple of Facebook Pages. First is "Save the Texas Dune Buggy, SANDRAIL, and Kitcar Group. Second is I suggest you join the Manx Club because you will get all kinds of valuable information there. Third, check out 109 Dune Buggies!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SavetheTexasDuneBuggy
https://www.facebook.com/groups/manxclub
www.manxclub.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/109DuneBuggies
www.109dunebuggies.com

Assembled Vehicle/Dune Buggy | Steps to Title and Registration
An assembled vehicle is a vehicle that is assembled from component parts (motor, body, and frame), as
applicable to the type of assembled vehicle. An assembled vehicle includes an assembled motor vehicle,
assembled motorcycle, assembled trailer, and a custom vehicle, street rod, replica, and glider kit.
An assembled vehicle may not be titled or registered if it is constructed by merging two or more vehicles classes,
except for parts from certain passenger cars, pickups, panels, and vans may be interchanged; uses the frame or
body of a nonrepairable motor vehicle; contains any electrical or mechanical components from a flood-damaged
vehicle; is designed for off-highway use or on-track racing only; is a stripped vehicle; or uses any parts not
compliant with federal motor vehicle safety standards if a standard exists.
This is the order I followed along with all the various forms and procedures to successfully register and
title my assembled/vehicle dune buggy. Not all Assemble Vehicles are the same. This document is based
upon a fiberglass Manx style buggy body with a Berrien Buggy chassis. It has a standard VW link pin front
suspension, a swing axle transaxle, and standard air-cooled 1600cc motor. DEPENDING ON WHAT TYPE OF
ASSEMBLED VEHICLE YOU HAVE WILL DETERMINE WHAT FORMS ARE REQUIRED.
You will need the RTB 010-20 Titling Procedures for Assembled Vehicles to guide you through the process. A Google Search will provide these forms for you. Or you can look on the files of this page.
 Here is the list of forms I needed to complete.
 VTR-61 Rebuilt Vehicle Statement
 VTR-63 Component Part(s) Bill of Sale
 VTR-64 ASE Safety Inspection for Assembled Vehicles
 VTR-852 ASE Safety Inspection and Application for Custom Vehicle or Street Rod License Plates (I did not
need or use this form for my assembly).
 VTR-68-A Law Enforcement Identification Number Inspection (This form will be given to you at time of
inspection appointment)
 Form 130-U Application for Texas Title and/or Registration
 These are the major components to an assembled vehicle Dune Buggy as far as the Texas DMV is concerned.
The chassis, the body, the motor, and the transmission.
If these components come from the same source, you will need only one Form VTR-63 Component Part(s)
Bill of Sale. If these components come from different sources, you will need a VTR-63 form for each
component. I needed a VTR-63 form for the motor and one for the transmission. My chassis has a Certificate of
Origin. My body fell under the MOC as a Kit and part of the chassis.
 First and foremost, you must assemble your dune buggy to road-ready condition. This is basically the
condition that would allow you to get a state inspection and drive on the state roadways.
 Your buggy is road-ready so now get your state inspection. Be sure you have all the required equipment for
the inspection.
 Make an appointment to get your VTR-68-A Inspection (Law Enforcement Identification Number Inspection).
Depending on where you live will determine where you will get your inspection. In my case, I live in Harris
County, so I had to use the county Sheriff’s Department. They have appointments every Wednesday
between 9am and 11am. It is stated in VTR-68-A that inspections will not be conducted on a partially
assembled vehicle. It must be road-ready! You cannot download or print this form to fill out. The officer will
fill out this form for you if you pass the inspection. It will have an embossed seal for authenticity. Assemble a
packet with the following documents.
 A copy of your appointment time, email or whatever you received to confirm your appointment.
 A copy of your driver’s license.
 Proof of Insurance card
 Your state inspection report.
 Form VTR-63 (Component Part(s) Bill of Sale). If all parts come from one place you need only one form. If
components come from different places, you will need a form for each component. I had to have a VTR-
63 for my motor, chassis, and transmission. They did not ask for a bill of sale for the body, but if you
have one include it.
 Attach a copy of your receipts and/or bill of sale to each VTR-63 form.
 If you have a purchased frame/chassis, have a copy of your MCO (Manufacturers Certificate of Origin)
 I also took all my original receipts, bill of sale and MOC just in case they need to see them.
 Now you need form VTR-64 (ASE Safety Inspection for Assembled Vehicles). This must be performed by a
MASTER Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Technician. When you search for a Master ASE be sure that he
has the following.
 Master status is established by passing the Automobile Test Series (A1 through ACool.
 A copy of the certifications and expiration dates, available through the inspector's my ASE account, must
be submitted with this inspection. The inspection is not valid if any of the series (A1 through ACool are
missing or expired at the time of the inspection. This form is not valid without the certifications printout.
 The inspection fee is set by each ASE Certified Master Technician.
 The ASE Certified Master Technician must initial each box, and provide comments as applicable, to
certify the presence and/or safety of each item.
 This inspection does not replace or eliminate the mandatory Texas vehicle safety inspection (and
emissions inspection, if applicable).
 Now you need to make an appointment with your Regional Service Center (RSC).
 If you are the owner of an assembled vehicle that has not been titled as an assembled vehicle in Texas or
another state, you are required to obtain title and registration for your vehicle. Prior to applying for title
and registration, you must obtain a letter issued by a Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV)
Regional Service Center (RSC). The RSC will determine if your assembled vehicle is eligible for title and
registration and if you have provided all required documents.
 If your vehicle is eligible and all required documents have been provided, the RSC will provide you a
letter with an attached list of the verified documents. The letter, attached list, and all documents must
be presented to your local county tax assessor-collector’s office to process the application for title and
registration.
 The following documents are what I was required to produce for my assembled vehicle and submitted
to the RSC for approval:
 Application for Texas Title and/or Registration (Form 130-U).
 Photographs of the front, rear, and side of the assembled vehicle.
 Proof of insurance.
 Evidence of ownership for the basic component parts of the assembled vehicle (motor, body,
transmission, and frame), as applicable to the type of assembled vehicle.
 Proof of an Automotive Service Excellence safety inspection performed by a master technician.
 A copy of the certification for the master technician who completed the inspection.
 Vehicle Inspection Report, if the assembled vehicle is to be registered for operation on the roadway
and the vehicle is not exempt from inspection.
 Rebuilt Vehicle Statement (Form VTR-61).
 Certified weight certificate.
 Government-issued photo identification; and
 Vehicle identification number (VIN) verification document. I provide my Certificate of Origin.
• a Law Enforcement Identification Number Inspection (Form VTR-68-A) establishing the vehicle
identification number assigned by the manufacturer of the component part by which the
the assembled vehicle will be identified.
 You will receive a letter from the RSC verifying that your assembled vehicle is eligible for title and
registration allowing you to proceed to your local tax office to complete the title and registration
process. The RSC will give you with your approval letter an Assembled Vehicle Checklist outlining all the
documents you will need to take to the tax office. My RSC took all the forms I submitted to them and
compiled them in the order that matched the checklist so all I had to do is go to the tax office.
 At this point in time, the tax office in my county will only let you do a title transfer or registration by
appointment. I made my appointment right away. My appointment was scheduled two weeks out. It
was first available. I was able to get all my inspections and forms filled out and ready for the RSC
appointment and get approved in time for my tax office appointment. It was close with only one day to
spare. So, plan your appointments. See when you can get your VTR-68-A appointment and tax office
appointment and work within those times.
 THE END!!! I went to my tax office and presented all my forms and documentation that was put
together for me at the RSC to the lady behind the glass. All seemed to be in order except for some
confusion on the year. My MOC has 2020 on it. The forms I fill out have the year as 2021. My Form 130-
U has 2021. My Form VTR-64 has 2021 because it states that “An assembled motor vehicle will be titled
by the year it was assembled and with the make as ASVE unless an original body is used.” So, I use 2021
as the year assembled. My VTR-61 has 2021 on it. The tax office did not like the MOC having 2020 and
my forms having 2021. But they sent them off anyway and registered my vehicle. The Title will come in 4-6
weeks if no issues. Otherwise, they will inform me what I need to do. So, the moral of this issue is to be
sure your forms have the correct year. At this point, I do not have positive information to give you
currently. If I do indeed get my title, it may be a non-issue. We will see.
 I hope this write-up helps you with your questions and makes your process go as smooth as possible to
register and title your Assembled Vehicle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: No more NEW Registrations in Texas? Reply with quote

"Yaleiza07"][/quote]Sounds like the Utah DMV. The legislature passed a law to reissue retro white on black plates, but it’s been on hold for two years because the DMV allegedly can’t find a manufacturer of reflective black paint, which they insist the plates must have.

Luckily for me, I got a personalized plate, and had a place custom make me 55 Utah plates with the registration number for my Beck Spyder.[/quote]

There is a company in Texas that makes all the license plates for Texas and other states with a reflective film or paint and one of the colors is black. This company has been doing this for some 40+ years. They also make all of the reflective highway signs for the Texas DOT (highways). All the materials now are made as a film that is stuck to the substrate.

So the Utah DMV needs to be dragged into court or the legislature in Utah needs to make a new department that will do what they are supposed to do.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: