Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Insurance after a conversion or rehab
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Insurance after a conversion or rehab Reply with quote

I now have my van insured for 15K through Haggerty. I wanted more coverage but that was the best I could do. If an "Unthinkable Event" were to happen I would be out a significant amount of coin. However after looking at other companies, payment histories etc, Haggerty wins hands down for cust svc and cost compared to good hands etc.

I am going to to get a new quote after more works is done, and offer some of my own comps I have found.

Anyone else want to chime in?
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance after a conversion or rehab Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
I now have my van insured for 15K through Haggerty. I wanted more coverage but that was the best I could do. If an "Unthinkable Event" were to happen I would be out a significant amount of coin. However after looking at other companies, payment histories etc, Haggerty wins hands down for cust svc and cost compared to good hands etc.

I am going to to get a new quote after more works is done, and offer some of my own comps I have found.

What kind of policy did you purchase?

Agreed value? Stated value? Or?

Most classic car "insurers" are simply writing policies on some one's paper.

Only a few insurances wholesalers actually provide this sort of policy.

What does it say on your policy? Who is it underwritten by?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it appraised by someone who knows Vanagons, well Exclamation
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance after a conversion or rehab Reply with quote

r39o wrote:

If Hagerty writes anything other than agreed value I am unaware of it.

Not sure why it matters, but the underwriter probably is One Beacon though in my experience Hagerty appears to have underwriting authority in these matters.

Presumably Hagerty will say what they want if they do not readily agree to a requested amount -- I have not had that happen but the OP sounds like he is on the right track with additional comps and perhaps a professional appraisal.
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance after a conversion or rehab Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
TequilaSunSet wrote:

Guaranteed Value: $15,000
Under Written: Essentia Insurance Company A+ rating
1967 Bug- Gone
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance after a conversion or rehab Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
...Under Written: Essentia Insurance Company A+ rating

You are correct -- apparently One Beacon has sold is sub Essentia to Markel earlier this year though they are still paying claims out of the prior reserve.

Sometimes underwriters just want you to give them a good reason to say yes. Best of luck.
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with Haggerty your ride must be garaged, hence my push with larger wheels and tires, and lowering it to still have garage access clearance. The cost for my 67 Volksrod project and Vanagon is so very reasonable, and I have heard in regard to claims to be great to work with.
1967 Bug- Gone
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious if you have tried State Farm?

I've had several classic Porsches, Chevys and other customs insured with them. In every case their estimate of value was much higher than mine and policies were very cheap!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:

I've had several classic Porsches, Chevys and other customs insured with them. In every case their estimate of value was much higher than mine and policies were very cheap!

With towing $415 annually for both the Vanagon and Volksrod... really hard to beat that.
1967 Bug- Gone
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
Xtremjeepn wrote:

With towing $415 annually for both the Vanagon and Volksrod... really hard to beat that.

My one off color 928S4 is $9 a month. My 951 is $8 a month. Both insured for quite a bit more than your van at the moment. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
The thing with Haggerty your ride must be garaged, hence my push with larger wheels and tires, and lowering it to still have garage access clearance. The cost for my 67 Volksrod project and Vanagon is so very reasonable, and I have heard in regard to claims to be great to work with.

Follow the under writing guide lines.

Your bigger engines and other mods likely need to be declared too.

I have yet to find an agreed value policy that does not require the vehicle to be in a garage.

The garage thing is the big hang up for most Vanagon owners. Sad

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
TequilaSunSet wrote:

Follow the under writing guide lines.

Your bigger engines and other mods likely need to be declared too.

I have yet to find an agreed value policy that does not require the vehicle to be in a garage.

The garage thing is the big hang up for most Vanagon owners. Sad

They have ALL my receipts from Stephans, nothing hidden... and my engine is SMALLER (1.9 to a 1.8 ) Very Happy
1967 Bug- Gone
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
TequilaSunSet wrote:
Xtremjeepn wrote:

My one off color 928S4 is $9 a month. My 951 is $8 a month. Both insured for quite a bit more than your van at the moment. Wink

And you drive them how many declared annual miles? Got towing? Uninsured motorist? 100/300? Whats your deductible? I want to hear more...
1967 Bug- Gone
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xtremjeepm is playing with fire.

Buy cheap, get cheap.

Let's see how it goes at claim time......

GFL!

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance after a conversion or rehab Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
TequilaSunSet wrote:
...Under Written: Essentia Insurance Company A+ rating

You are correct -- apparently One Beacon has sold is sub Essentia to Markel earlier this year though they are still paying claims out of the prior reserve.

Sometimes underwriters just want you to give them a good reason to say yes. Best of luck.

Markel is in lots of markets.

They are NOT a preferred carrier.

In fact, I have been advised to avoid them......

Horror stories.

luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:

Details?!
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

State Farm agreed to high market value on my Westy. Around $10500. This was ok with me, and they let me pick the shop to get the estimate for repair, and they gave me the check to have it fixed where i wanted, or not. I also have towing and roadside assistance. Not sure of the details of coverage, but know it is only a couple dollars a month.

Now that I have a van with no dents, and a nice new paint job, I think I am going to look into insuring it at a higher value.

Tonight a thunderstorm watch forecasting quarter sized hail made me drive to a local car wash and wait out the storm in a covered bay in case it hailed. (Don't have a garage)
Not sure i can live like that.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb,

Do you have an agreed value or stated value policy with State Farm?

Agreeing to a value for repair is not an agreed value policy......

Reventlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot to say on this subject! As some may know, I recently lost my Syncro Westy in a catastrophic electrical fire of unknown origin. This was a wonderful vehicle that I've owned for years, with tons of upgrades and countless $ invested. I freely admit to having been completely ignorant regarding insurance coverage, never imagining I'd face a total loss. I did, however, express concerns to my carrier about being under-insured, but I never got beyond them offering to adjust my deductible, etc. After the fire, the homeowners' side of the policy gave a very fair settlement on the contents, but the auto claims side offered a paltry $5500, about a tenth of what it was worth. My policy stated Actual Cash Value, which apparently doesn't mean what it sounds like. Naturally, I declined this payout, but really didn't know how to proceed from there. I've since learned more than I ever wanted to know about auto claims. With the most generous help of three persons in particular who know who they are, and have my eternal gratitude, I amassed professional documentation on my vehicle's fair market value, along with gathering comps, currently listed vehicles for sale, articles, etc., all of which I submitted in a huge file. Long story short, after hiring their own appraiser, who sent a loooong document that was mostly unintelligible to me, they upped their offer to $27,000. I've had one interested party say "way to go!" and another say "no! Hold out for the big $". The claim is still open, and if I want to proceed, I need to hire a certified vehicle appraiser on my own dime and basically start over. I'm conflicted on how to proceed. I've never really considered the process to be adversarial. I'm sure the Syncro just showed up in their books, if they go back that far, as a VW Kombi Camper, and I also understand that I've been paying low premiums on a car they know nothing about, and valued at next to nothing. (They must have fallen out of their chairs when they saw the comps I listed from GoWesty!). I'd welcome any and all opinions on where to go from here.

Back to the OP's concerns, I'd also like to know who will insure our cars without restrictions like mileage and garages for agreed upon value. In hindsight, I'd have been glad to pay premiums on an agreed value of $60-70,000 if I could have found a carrier who offered such coverage.

Matt Q Costa Mesa
(Proud new owner of a Syncro 16 Jagdwagen!)
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer Matt... that sucks beyond money.

I know exactly what I am getting and the rules I have to follow (AKA Keep it Garaged other than trips) They were only going to do 10K and I was going to walk. I got them to 15K and for now that will have to do until I get some more comps and do some additional work in the next couple of months.

Good luck with your insurance adventure...
1967 Bug- Gone
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: