Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Long time lurker, first time OWNER!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
torbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Long time lurker, first time OWNER! Reply with quote

Sorry for the novel, but this has been a long time coming and my wife and I are really excited! The Samba has been a great resource for me in researching these over the years, and I know people here will appreciate our "find".

After nigh-on three years of waiting, my wife and I finally found our Westy (or rather, it found us!). We're now the proud owners of a 1982 powder blue air-cooledWestfalia - with only 78,000 miles on it!

As these things happen, we weren't planning to buy one for a couple of months, and I hadn't really been looking at air-cooled's at all, but a buddy of mine happened to mention some old friends of his were *thinking* of selling their Westfalia since they just didn't camp anymore, so we agreed to go see it. The van had been sitting for about 4 months so the battery was dead, the paint faded and the pop top *very* grimy (we're talking almost black!) - I was immediately apprehensive. All that changed when he opened the door to reveal what looked like brand new carpet, clean (and plush!) upholstery, and a spotless, working kitchen. He went on to explain they'd just put on new tires (less than 2000 miles ago), as well as a new muffler and catalytic converter. On top of this, he was offering it for FAR less then our $6500 budget.

He said he'd get the battery charged and we arranged for a test drive, which showed a smooth, strong engine (relatively speaking of course - it is an air-cooled...) and it actually climbed hills pretty well! It took us about a day to mull it over (I didn't know anything about air-cooled Westys and had always heard they should be avoided), but finally decided it was just too good a deal to pass up, and we'd already more or less fell in love with it. There also seemed to be a bit too much "fate" happening to pass it up.

We arranged to pick it up, which is where things got even better! He'd found BOTH tables in his garage and installed them for us. On the floor inside the van were 3 chrome disks that go around the existing round chrome hubcaps for that über vintage look (will have to find a 4th one...). In the rear cabinet were ALL the privacy curtains (including the one for the windshield) - and even the rear hatch screen! Very Happy Under these was a Haynes manual (so now I just need to Bentley!), and the original electrical chord for connecting to shore power. The van basically has everything!

As we were getting ready to go, he said "Oh! do you guys want this too?" and pulled out a dirty but serviceable Trans Awn 2000! Our jaws dropped. Shocked

Of course, there are some negative things. That crappy headliner contact paper material is peeling off everywhere, The driver's seat will need replacing, and there's mold on the inside of the pop-top. The paint is pretty faded, the fiberglass is really scummy (It's Seattle, after all) and there is some seam rust alongside the kitchen area and on one wheel well, but the rest of the body is *incredibly* straight, with nary a dent anywhere.

It goes, it stops, it camps, and has everything we'll need, which is all we really wanted in our starter van. We're taking it up to Leavenworth this weekend for it's maiden voyage (joined by a buddy with a truck - which may come in handy, just in case...) and couldn't be more excited!

So here he is, in his pre-cleaned glory. We've named him "Dave".

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks great!

You do realize that many more photos are required of this unit?

The mold up top is really an easy fix if you remove the top from the van, some simple green, some bleach, a brush and rinse very well. It will come out looking like new! Same with the fiberglass top, give it a through cleaning and see what the finish is like.

Welcome!

Enjoy the van!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and congrats... share your upcoming adventures, tweaks, fixes etc...
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
torbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DJ, Tquilla. Good to finally be here!

djkeev wrote:
You do realize that many more photos are required of this unit?

Of course!

We spent a few hours *late* last night at a car wash with some Simple Green and a scrub brush on the sides (no ladder to get to the top - I like your idea of removing it) and the whole thing looks much better. Couldn't believe how much black water came off during the first few rinses. First "coat" of bleach was sprayed this morning, so we'll see how that goes.

We plan to take many, many more photos and I'll be sure to post them.

Oh, and another bonus just discovered. Apparently we have an "auxiliary heater". Not sure if/how it works, but is sounds cool.
wes.outside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Congrats!
panzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: welcome Reply with quote

Welcome to the fold. As my good friends' departed father used to say: "misery loves company". I wish my '81 Westy looked that good. It has 3X the mileage and has been flogged on a regular basis. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your new addiction... er addition! Very Happy Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Looks really nice!
desertrefugee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on a nice camper and a great deal. When I was looking for my Westy, I considered a nice air cooled '82 here locally. I only kept looking because this is not the best locale for an air cooled Vanagon.

Again, nice deal. It's good to see patience rewarded.

Now, on with the show - and the pictures!

🚐
📷

"For I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
torbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desertrefugee wrote:
When I was looking for my Westy, I considered a nice air cooled '82 here locally. I only kept looking because this is not the best locale for an air cooled Vanagon.

Ironically, this van started life in New Mexico (which is obvious from all the heat-wrinkled contact paper) but yes, the climate here is a bit more conducive to Air-cooled! That said, I'm still a bit nervous about the climb into the mountains tomorrow - it's supposed to be fairly hot, but I'll just take 'er slow.

My wife is out decorating now, and I just picked up new hardware for the awning. I'll post some more glamour shots once we're in the campground.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome and congrats. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malibu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the half attached awning brackets. Hit those chrome caps with the chrome polish! Congrats!
desertrefugee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: "Heat-wrinkled contact paper"

I'm not convinced heat is completely to blame for these issues. To wit: my Westy spent the first four years of its life in Montana, after which is has been an Arizona resident - and endured many hot summers. Knock wood, but the interior of my van is smooth as a baby's bottom (no wrinkled contact paper).

In any event, the stuff is pretty easy to replace as needed.

"For I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a well cared for van - I hope it serves you well and faithfully! Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like that Westy found a good home. Congratulations. Enjoy the ride.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
b00t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, excellent find and great story. I love that you bought it and are going camping asap! Post the inaugural pictures with pride my friend, welcome to the club!
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! We just got our first Westy too! It's an 81 Aircooled. We live in northern VT and the climate is perfect for an aircooled....slow and steady wins the race!
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to you. Nice to hear of another air cooled on the road. Most important....congratulations to you for investigating; PRIOR to making a purchase.

During your "researching" you've probably come across the subject of fuel line replacement and the engine to body seal and the various options of motor oils available. Read as much as you can on these subjects....air cooled Westys are a different brand of beast.

Many parts for the air cooler's are becoming difficult to locate but vendors like Bus Depot and Go Westy and Autohaus AZ are still valuable resources.

If your a wrencher; more power to ya...if not; locate a Vanagon savvy mechanic and treat them well. Smile Safe travels to you and yours and welcome aboard.
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! You're gonna love 'Dave'.

BTW, nice photography/post-edit work on the image of you and Dave.... or somebody got "lucky" on that shot. Smile
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
torbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zippyslug31 wrote:
BTW, nice photography/post-edit work on the image of you and Dave.... or somebody got "lucky" on that shot. Smile

My wife's the photographer, and it was actually just her iPhone with some cleverly applied filters. We felt the moment warranted a vintage look. Laughing

Thanks for all the well-wishes, welcome and advice - it's why I love this board! I did my first "fix" after reading a bunch of info re: air-cooled, esp. about the importance of having the engine compartment sealed. I checked this morning, and the main seal looks to be in good condition, I reseated the spark plug seals (flimsy little guys) and everything else looked OK, until I checked the license plate door. No foam left at all! Saw a post last night where someone used window foam around the edges, so I went ahead and did that:

Before

After

Warrants a cleaner fix eventually, but hopefully it will be good enough for our trip into the Cascades this afternoon. Speaking of which - any advice on mountain-pass driving in an air-cooled Westy? I have to admit, I'm a bit apprehensive about the trip. With no tach, no temp gauge and my unfamiliarity with the engine sound, I feel like I'm flying blind. Any advice on what kinds of sounds/smells to look for, speed/gear combination, etc? I plan to take it REAL easy, but it'd be great to hear any advice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: