Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Nepenthe88 wrote:

I shake my fist at you good sir... Evil or Very Mad
Stop spending my money! Wink

don't fight it. I am your enabler Cool

Bend over and relax it will hurt less Laughing

WTF is this. This thread can stay stagnant on this, Shocked

And now back to our previous show.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project Reply with quote

Laughing

everyone should be use to one of my threads leaving someone all butthurt Very Happy

so, lets see....

when I was building the bus I had gone through a ton of vent windows to find the best of the best, and I did. but, one window had some nasty pits, almost like welding slag hit the glass. it was so bad, it looked like streaks of bird shit.

so, as much as I hated to do it, I cut the window back out and replaced the glass

I don't have the photo of the old glass. it was hard to show the detail of how nasty it was. but, it's all put back together now.

building this bus and looking for the best of the best was quite a challenge. you wouldn't believe in all of the glass I saved, there was only a handful that didn't have some sort of damage/ scratches.

but at the end of the day I am glad I swapped out that glass. much better now!

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project Reply with quote

well, that's it.

went for a ride today before the big spring nor'easter and the fresh air vent whistle was just enough to drive me batshit crazy....

off came the flaps. when I did this the first time, I sorted through my best vents and found the ones with the best seals.

when I took them off, I had found that the drivers side (the one that was making the noise) had the seal come unglued in one of the corners. so, I stripped both of them

prime

re paint and re seal

sadly, by the time I got it back together I just didn't feel like going for a ride. so, hopefully this will stop the dog whistle from the left vent. I ended up doing both of them. figured what the hell....

my to-do list is getting shorter. next up is to install the washer jug/pump and the modified switch.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project Reply with quote

I have found that with my home-made sealing efforts, nothing quite worked perfectly. Even my Super-Duper-Custom-Fit foam that worked for a month eventually started dribbling cold air at night. What worked for me was an extremely thin washer under the plastic mounting clips. This prevented the top of the new seal from contacting the lip first and not allowing the bottom to seal due to crush. Now my closed-cell foam contacts the lip in careful choreography. And the painted contact lip is kept clean and waxed. Twisted Evil

I recently discovered that my '76, though significantly cheaper in general build quality, has a "hyper extended lock" feature on the blue lever. If you push the lever all the way up, it will exert tension on the closing rod, similar to locking your knees when standing up for long periods of time before you pass out. Wink Does your '70 work like this? I haven't tried it with my '69 yet.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project Reply with quote

Think

interesting mr.robbie. I don't think my levers hyperextend like you speak of, although I am sure with enough playing around on the cams and their several holes you'd be able to do just that.

upon assembly, I shut the vents and the seals left a nice imprint of the profile in the sheet metal of the bus.

cold air is a non issue to me, as I can make enough heat for myself, 2 westy's and a high roof Very Happy

the whistle was just getting to me. no joke, my bus is whisper quiet going down the road. that noise was just driving me nuts....if I cracked the lever jussst a tiny bit, the noise went away. but doing that bled in a steady stream of air, so it was just on the cusp of opening the flap to make the noise go away.

if anything, I wish I could have found foam a hair thicker. this was 3/8 iirc, 1/2 may have been a bit too thick. I will find out once the weather cleans up some.

I have started to make replacement foam for the dash vents too. that has proven to be a bit difficult as the "on/off" lever/flap assy is oblong and the foam has to be made bigger to seal off the metal tube.

kind of figure may as well go all the way, right?

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project Reply with quote

I finally just now read through this whole thread. As I told Skills a day or two ago, I had refrenced parts of it several times, but never sat down and read the whole thing.

What a nice Bus! Sure makes my TDI swap look like a junkyard threw up in it!

After doing the window channel de-rust project in my '73, though, I've decided that there is no way I can really undertake a proper restoration of a Bus until I have a much larger shop/garage. So for now it'll just have to be maintenance/preventative projects.

I need to get in the rear window channels of my '78 because I know for a fact that they are rusted enough to let water in the bus. And I've got a pair of rear slider windows to stick in there!

I did pull the old turbo last night, it was blowing lots of oil past the seals into the intake. Enough that large amounts of oil was seeping out at boost tube connections and making a gigantic mess all over the back of the Bus! The turbine shaft has all sorts of play both axially and radially, which explains the problem.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project Reply with quote

I can also say that in general with a swap, I can relate to Skills' comments about throwing money at trying different things, trying different stuff out, and on and on.

I've decided for the '73 that I will keep the Type 4 motor going as long as I can without a rebuild (it does seem to be in good shape) while slowly stashing away parts for a swap in it.

Also, I have to say your willingness to thrash it astounds me a bit! I spent a good deal of money on rebuilding my 091 trans--4.13 R/P, taller 3rd and 4th and a super diff so that thing makes me a little nervous! Its probably fine, and I am getting into the boost more, but it still freaks me out a little bit!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

Also, I have to say your willingness to thrash it astounds me a bit! I spent a good deal of money on rebuilding my 091 trans--4.13 R/P, taller 3rd and 4th and a super diff so that thing makes me a little nervous! Its probably fine, and I am getting into the boost more, but it still freaks me out a little bit!

well, I don't rail on it every time I drive it, but I didn't build it to be a dust collector.

honestly the way I look at it is I brought it into this world, I can take it out....and make another one that looks just like it Very Happy

what good is it if I can't/won't enjoy it? it's not an investment to me....none of my cars are or ever will be. if it turns out they are in the end, so be it.

I am not of the mindset to just let it sit and talk about how "great" it is...I use it. will I go off road with it or drive it in the crappy weather? no but I will rip it around 8/9 months a year.

no need to put it up on a pedestal...it's just a fuckin car...that they made millions of.

in hindsight I should have done it to my camper as that is a little more family friendly. so, I guess I should work on that Cool

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project Reply with quote

Fair enough. And I do generally take the attitude of "what good is it to have the vehicle if I don't take it out and use it?"

I think part of my apprehension is having blown up both the engine and the transmission along the way, and not wanting to experience either again!

Though, I guess I need to remember that the engine blew up due to an error on my part of putting the cooling system together. And the transmission didn't exactly blow up, but I shouldn't have been (and wasn't, really) surprised when it went kaput.

I knew it was old and worn out before I even started that project.

So I suppose I need to lighten up a tad with the TDI bus! I probably won't go trying to peel out or anything, but I do admit to enjoying getting into the boost now and then. Smile

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project Reply with quote

<snip>

in hindsight I should have done it to my camper as that is a little more family friendly. so, I guess I should work on that Cool

And... here you go again! Rolling Eyes Smile

But this time, it will have the benefit of all the experience you have.

You're like me... You get a project all wrapped up, and... start looking for the next one. Wink
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project Reply with quote

Skills...you should do a diesel swap Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Why waste time re-inventing the wheel when he has a proven recipe that can go anywhere and do anything (even if he makes a decision to limit that everywhere and everything).

Oh, and BTW... one winter of daily driving in the salt and snow wreaked HAVOK on the admittedly craptastic paint job of my bus. and my "stainless" exhaust... not so stainless anymore.

Follow my adventures in the GoWAND'RLoST bus on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/gowandrlost/
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

as a former diesel tech, I abso-fucking-lutely hate diesels. I wouldn't drive a diesel to a junk yard.

for what they are (in cars/light truck) they are useless....I have had my fair share of coked turbos, head gaskets, injection pump failures....

the diesel of today is smoke and mirrors...cost way, way too much to maintain. hard to tell a guy that got contaminated fuel he needs to start with 5k in parts to see if we can make it start. your average diesel bill is 4-8k in fuel system repairs.

plus I hate smelling like a boiler for a week

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project Reply with quote

Hey Skills,

First off, mad props on your build. Secondly, have you done this swap on a split window bus yet? Engine compartment is even smaller than an early bay so I'm wondering if its even doable without making any heavy modifications.

BTW, I've seen them done in splits, just curious if you have done with one with same mantra of 'don't make any significant changes that cant be undone'.

This one seems to be fairly un-modified from what I can tell:

Thanks
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project Reply with quote

That orange(?) engine bay appears to have some cutting done to the sides of the apron. It looks neat enough, and they even managed to cover the sharp edge with trim molding, which is a nice touch to the somewhat "home garage" look to the engine bay.

I'm not saying my engine bay is the gold standard like some people here actually have, but it cost me five cans of spray paint, some scrubbing pads, and a few hours of time to make it far nicer than what I was working with before. I guess if you have more money than time you end up with an engine like that, but the festooned chrome in that engine bay isn't doing any favors when there's flagrant dirt and grime surrounding it. Think
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Hey Skills,

First off, mad props on your build. Secondly, have you done this swap on a split window bus yet?

thank you. as of now, I have yet to do a split. I think the rules would be the same, but different.

in my 70, it would have been nice to cut the gasket channels off. that appears to have been done here. not needed on my 70, but it would have given me a tad more room. the only causality was trimming a rear apron.

if I get time, I will try and slide a engine in a 65 bus I have here now. I also have cooling pipes bent for bay windows in stock, so I could see how different a split would be in that department as well

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Hey Skills,

First off, mad props on your build. Secondly, have you done this swap on a split window bus yet?

thank you. as of now, I have yet to do a split. I think the rules would be the same, but different.

in my 70, it would have been nice to cut the gasket channels off. that appears to have been done here. not needed on my 70, but it would have given me a tad more room. the only causality was trimming a rear apron.

if I get time, I will try and slide a engine in a 65 bus I have here now. I also have cooling pipes bent for bay windows in stock, so I could see how different a split would be in that department as well

Thanks. Looking forward to your findings. I think this route or all electric are definitely the future (with electric at a huge cost disadvantage now) if you actually want to drive your car. I know a bunch of guys that do that now with air cooled motors (I just did a 450 mile trip with my 1500cc single port) but it can be a high anxiety affair at times.
fogoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project Reply with quote

Hey Skills, if you don't mind saying, what muffler are you using for your swaps. I like that you keep it tucked in behind the wheel and not wrapped around the front... errr back of the engine
75 Panel Bus - converting to Subi power http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651073&highlight=
78 Kombi Camper
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project Reply with quote

Hey Skills, so when can we expect to see this thing going offroad Wink

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project Reply with quote

^It's for his adventurers on roading... Laughing

Link

Oh the comedy, sorry Skills...you and your bus are awesome!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 33

Jump to: