Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1975 FI Knocking
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Sell the VW or repair it
sell
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
repair
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 5

mamiyapentax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: 1975 FI Knocking Reply with quote

Hello Samba, a mechanic told me my engine sounds like a bearing has come loose in the crank case and is "knocking." Previously the top half of the motor was rebuilt with new pistons and heads. Apparently this is an expensive repair that will require a rebuild of the crank. The body of the VW is in great shape and deserves to be back on the road again but as what cost is ideal? One mechanic told me I need an entire new short block.

1975 Type 2 Bay Window
Fule Injection
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 FI Knocking Reply with quote

If you end up buying a rebuilt engine:

Since you are near the east cost, I would try and contact Gary Leblanc from Suburban Engine in Massachusetts about a rebuilt engine.

If you were on or near the west coast, my choice would be headflow masters.

Either should be in the neighborhood of $3-$4k

Regardless of who you go with, I would try and get a new cam instead of a reground cam. A lot of people go with a web cam, but the $99 cam from european motorworks is good and cheap.

Last edited by kooper271 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 FI Knocking Reply with quote

There are lots of things go "Knock" in that motor- your new heads could hsve dropped a pushrod or rocker stud-- the oil pump idle pin can move into the cam gear,-- many an exhaust leak has sounded like a knock-

Would like to hear an audio of that if you can- how many miles?

Few more details on the motor- like the Id number- how many rebuilds its suffered.

If you have or can get an boroscope from harbor freight (think it's $89. with coupons- and take a look in each hole for signs of disaster.

would cut the oil filter open for signs- if no fragments or silver oil- would definitely look further.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 FI Knocking Reply with quote

If a little thing like an engine rebuild makes you think of selling,then the love affair is over.Sell!
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 FI Knocking Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
If a little thing like an engine rebuild makes you think of selling,then the love affair is over.Sell!

"2 kinds of vw's - those that need a rebuild and those that have just been"

quote from the haters.

any one have a pic to go with said quote??

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 FI Knocking Reply with quote

Type 4 engines are not prone to bearing problems, their bottom ends tend to last until the cam is no longer serviceable. You might pull the oil pump and make sure the idler shaft hasn't backed our and it hitting the rivets on the cam and that the cam gear is nice and tight on the shaft.
mamiyapentax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 FI Knocking Reply with quote

I will get out my microphones and record the sounds of the engine.

This happened when I was riding on I-87 and pushing the motor. No smoke but a loud rattling noise came out of no where and I lost power. The engine was always strong driving up and down I-95 to Miami.

Anyway most of the replies are outside my realm of understanding but I am willing to learn. I do NOT see metal in the oil.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 FI Knocking Reply with quote

For starters, check under the valve covers, I had a rocker assembly
back off & shut down a cylinder, thought I'd blown something, just a
couple loose nuts. Start with the simple to inspect stuff.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: