Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rusty Wheel Wells (Warning Graphic)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Rusty Wheel Wells (Warning Graphic) Reply with quote

Hi,

So I gutted my 78 Westy to completely clean the inside and lay down some sound proofing, new rug, and insulation when I stumbled upon some nasty rust. Both rust spots are on the same place on opposite sides of the bus. Looking at it from inside out, they are both at the base of the seat pedestals on the backside. Both holes lead out to the wheel wells. Both rust holes are about 6 inches long. The surrounding metal is solid, but I was able to make these wholes with a screw driver.

I've read on here that it's common for rust to form between the seam sealer and metal where welds have been made. I'm guessing that is what happened here.

So my question is how should I proceed? The holes don't seem to have created any structural damage. So I'm thinking about using POR15 and fiberglass to plug the wholes. I don't know how to weld or own a welder nor do I know someone that does. Seems like everyone on this site does one way or another. Also, I don't know of a mom and pop place that will just do patch work on the cheap that also seems prevalent on this site. I live in Chicago so if you know of a place that does in the area, I'm all ears. If you have any other suggestions beside a complete restoration, I'd love to hear about some methods other people have used with success.

Thanks!

Drivers Side from inside the cab
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Passenger Side from inside the cab

Passenger Side from the wheel well

Drivers side from the wheel well

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fix that with bondo, or tape it over and use por 15 whatever you want. Welding in new metal is better probly but you can fix it and drive the bus anyway you see fit. It's a hole in the body, it means nothing to the useability of the rig imo, rock on! Cool
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However you fix it, treat the rust completely first.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can purchase small sheets of metal from hardware stores,auto parts(FLAPS), etc. Cut with snips,bend over the corner of your work bench to fit. Lay down a bead of caulking,seam sealer and pop-rivet the metal to metal. Simple fix until the next owner buys it. Sad

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
MidWesty79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westy Steve wrote:
However you fix it, treat the rust completely first.

This. I've used POR 15 with mixed results. The best way is certainly to weld in some patches. Don't own a welder? Don't know how? Sounds like a perfect time to get a cheap one and teach yourself! Very Happy

Harbor freight has cheap flux core wire welders for like $100. Yes, the welds will be ugly, but for just starting out and for how hidden those repairs will be, who gives a turkey? Wire welding isn't difficult. (MIG welding is downright easy once you get the hang of it.) For $150 you could patch that yourself, learn to weld, and have a welder that you can use for other small projects... Sounds like a win, win, win.

In time you can upgrade to a decent gas Mig welder. I have a nice Hobart that I love... welders are handy...

EDIT: here's a link to the welder http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-68887-8494.html . I got a flyer in the mail (I live in Milwaukee) with a super coupon for $98.99 for it. Current price even without the coupon is only $111.
dasdachshund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidWesty79 wrote:

Harbor freight has cheap flux core wire welders for like $100. ........

EDIT: here's a link to the welder http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-68887-8494.html . I got a flyer in the mail (I live in Milwaukee) with a super coupon for $98.99 for it. Current price even without the coupon is only $111.

No offense, but that welder is total trash. I just sold mine in my garage sale for $50 after trying and trying to weld with it with total fail results. Get an Eastwood 135 to learn on....and keep. I'm sold on mine. But I do second your opinion on learning to weld, MidWesty. Dancing

pioneer1 wrote:
You can purchase small sheets of metal from hardware stores,auto parts(FLAPS), etc. Cut with snips,bend over the corner of your work bench to fit. Lay down a bead of caulking,seam sealer and pop-rivet the metal to metal. Simple fix until the next owner buys it. Sad

I love this idea. Applause My source for sheet metal is recycle building material stores. Like 50cents for a nice piece of old metal shelving.

-dasdachshund
hagermanfolley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Lincoln 110, at home depot, worked pretty good, then sol it, when I found a Lincoln 230v someone had returned, it looked unused but it was open box picked it up for 215.00, Shocked anyway buying a little welder has saved me so much money over the years, you would be surprised at what you can make. Even if this project thats the only spot your going to need to weld, who knows the shape your next one will be in.
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hagermanfolley wrote:
I bought a Lincoln 110, at home depot, worked pretty good, then sol it, when I found a Lincoln 230v someone had returned, it looked unused but it was open box picked it up for 215.00, Shocked anyway buying a little welder has saved me so much money over the years, you would be surprised at what you can make. Even if this project thats the only spot your going to need to weld, who knows the shape your next one will be in.

Okay guys/gals,

You shamed me into it. I will buy a welder and learn. However, I still do want to be able to use my bus until I'm ready top purchase and set some time aside to learn. Any suggestions for a quick non-perm fix?

I can still lay down the the rug and sound proofing, but I'm concerned about rain getting in the bus. Maybe just buy some cheap floor mats and position them over that area. They might work in a pinch.

Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold the phone guys a Lincoln 230v is 800 bucks! Way out of my price range and the Lincoln 110 is 300 bucks. This isn't going to happen anytime soon. But I'll keep an eye out for a used one.

MidWesty79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to think of a nice cheap option for the guy. Never used one of those harbor freight cheapies, but it does have quite good reviews (4 out of 5 stars, 167 reviews!) on Harborfreight.com... so I figured it couldn't be all bad, maybe you just had a crap unit?

My Hobart 140 was somewhere around $650 with tank, cart, auto-dimming helmet, gloves, jacket, etc. I got a pretty good deal, but you can get them for less if you just buy the unit. Keep an eye out on craigslist for used units. Look for a lincoln, miller or Hobart. All decent brands. Oh, and unless you have 220 in your garage, stick with 110v. A 110 will do pretty much anything you're gonna need it to do and will be much cheaper, and you won't have to muck about with adding a circuit, AND it'll work anywhere so you can take the welder to your buddies house, etc.
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on craigslist and in pawnshops for a good used welder.

In the meantime, the RV crowd (you know...like people who enjoy travel trailers) sometimes temporarily fix things with Aluminum tape. Never tried it on a bus, but it does seal up holes and bonds pretty well.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welding is awesome, you will be happy with a 110 volt mig, just look for a used one. The better ones are higher amp rated like the 140 Hobart mentioned. Most good units are capable of using flux core wire for use on outdoor projects or fixes that don't need to be beautiful looking. And using a bottle of gas with solid core wire for projects you want cleaner looking. The gas shielding will blow away in the wind outdoors so it is better used indoors. The cheap welders suffer from a low duty cycle rating which means they get hot and need to cool down more often. I have owned many welders and by far my favorite is a Readywelder.com 100 percent duty cycle and with 36 volts DC you can weld up to 1/2" thick steel plate like it was butter. Very Happy
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the welders. I'll keep an eye out for sales and on craigslist.

CoastalAirCooledVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidWesty79 wrote:
I was trying to think of a nice cheap option for the guy. Never used one of those harbor freight cheapies, but it does have quite good reviews (4 out of 5 stars, 167 reviews!) on Harborfreight.com... so I figured it couldn't be all bad, maybe you just had a crap unit?

I have one of those harbor freight welders. It works very well with thick steel but thin steel is a challange. If you are patient and can live with a bit of burn through it is a decent welder for the price. It would NOT be good for doing bodywork ect but for covering some holes it is a decent machine
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a no go. The garage I use is rented and I only have access to 125v plugs.

Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfreds78bay wrote:
It's a no go. The garage I use is rented and I only have access to 125v plugs.

I take that back the Harbor Freight 90 amp will plug into a 125v plug. Looks like I'm stuck with that one for now. And the price is right. Might be a good starter welder. If it sucks, I'll just return it.

wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you reverse the polarity on the flux core welders you can weld sheet metal fairly well with practice. You really have to play with the wire feed speed to keep enough fill material in the weld. If you plan on doing a lot of welding then you would probably be happier with a brand name MIG welder.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a steel mix gas of 75% Argon and 25% co2 with your welder will help with welding thin sheet metal because it helps prevent burning through the metal. I also like to say that there really is no such thing as MIG welding. MIG stands for Metal Inert Gas welding, but it was discovered that there really are no inert gases so the proper term is MGAW or metal gas arc welding. Likewise TIG is also now called TGAW or tungsten gas arc welding. Wink
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
MidWesty79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use flux core, then switched to 75/25 argon co2 with my 140.... The difference is absolutely insane. One second you look like some bum melting two pieces of metal together, switch over to solid with gas and you become michelangelo workin on his steel chapel. If you've got the cash sittin' 'round MIG is the way to go hands down...
Kabasue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welding in new panel is the correct answer (we should really have a in depth "what to buy" welder sticky).

What I have done to stop rust until I could properly fix it is.......
1. Wire wheel all the loose rust off the surface.
2. coat the area with rust converter, 2 coats
3. several coats of rustolem primer
73 Westy with a 411 engine (Finally Finished)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: