Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Bridge Subject to Crosswinds"
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: "Bridge Subject to Crosswinds" Reply with quote

I had the occasion to see this sign a few times recently before crossing some harrowing bridge spans. First,what does it mean exactly? Are there bridges NOT subject to crosswinds? How much concern should this sign cause us in our Vanagons? Are there any effective counter measures? Open the windows, etc.? Question

I've seen a semi in the water once. Not a pleasant sight to behold.

Last edited by Gauche1968 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some bridges are in windier areas than others such as over coastal rivers, plus the higher you get above the ground surface the higher the wind speed. Even what seem like farily protected bridges, such as the new one below Hoover Dam can have nasty winds at times due to localized effects.

You don't need to open the windows or anything. Just be aware and be prepared to counter steer if necessary. I suspect most wind related accidents happen from people getting caught off guard thus reacting late and way over correcting.

For the most part bridges aren't much different from driving in and out of road cuts, which can alternately block and funnel the winds.
windnsea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Covered bridges are subject to cross-winds too, but usually get destroyed by fire or floods!

2. In the late 1980's, in Seattle, I was driving over the I-90 floating bridge in my vanagon an was blown over 3 lanes by a strong gust of wind! About an hour later the adjacent floating bridge sections which were under reconstruction sank due to flooding caused by wind generated waves on Lake Washington.

3. Also, "Bridge freezes before the roadway." How true!! Simple thermodynamics!

4. The original Tacoma Narrows bridge was literally destroyed by crosswinds as it's center suspended sections undulated and were thrown into the channel!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best piece of advice would be to slow your vehicle speed in the presence of crosswind instability. The slower speed makes you safer and more able to react correctly to a sudden lateral shove. A tall profile vehicle like the Vanagon is more affected by these conditions than a sedan, wagon, coupe, etc. I found my Syncro to be surprisingly stable in wind, but I still slow down in my SUVs, and I have also been pushed 2 lanes over in a Fiat X1/9 - about as small a side profile as you can find. So, slow down a bit would be the best advice I could muster. No surprise there.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
CaptTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can remember my old '73 Bay window bus swapping lanes one me in the Appellation mountain passes. A blast of wind would really move that thing around. My '87 tin top Syncro has much better manners with side winds. Still, when traveling such areas I try to remain alert for side winds.
Type17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to give yourself the best chances of getting to the other end of the bridge pucker free, check the condition of your balljoints, tie rod ends, and all front suspension bushings. on my 84 i had done everything but the rack bushings and tie rod ends, night and day difference after doing those in high wind areas.

but as others have said, just slow it down and drive calmly. dont over-react to the wind and you should be fine.
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowing it down is good, but you don't know to slow it down until after the first gust which could put you way out of position.

The I-90 bridge over the Columbia river at Vantage, WA is really nasty. My van got pushed within inches of the guardrail without warning.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall if there was a warning sign or not, but that dang bridge to Astoria OR .....

When crossing that bridge, and it's really windy, I just slow the h**l down. If people behind me don't like it, too bad. Wink

That said, i keep my bus in good shape and have yet to be blown over to the next lane. (fingers crossed)

Neil.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
I don't recall if there was a warning sign or not, but that dang bridge to Astoria OR .....

When crossing that bridge, and it's really windy, I just slow the h**l down. If people behind me don't like it, too bad. Wink

That said, i keep my bus in good shape and have yet to be blown over to the next lane. (fingers crossed)

Neil.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's the bridge that sprang to mind when I read the thread title! The Golden Gate can be challenging, too, at the right time of year.

The only time I saw a travel trailer blown over sideways though, was in eastern Washington in a place where the road went through a short rock cut as Wildthings mentioned. It went out the other side and *BAM!* Right on its side - the family in the SUV was unhurt but...

Its a good idea to heed those warning signs. Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bridges over the river north of Charleston, SC can be a douzy as well. Like wise the Mackinac Bridge and the Sault Ste Marie Bridge in Michigan. All high and exposed.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disagree on slowing down later. Speed and angular movement from wind are a dangerous combo. Slow in advance of a potential sideways push gives a better chance of dealing safely with it.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I set the parking brake in the event of a tornado?

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Disagree on slowing down later. Speed and angular movement from wind are a dangerous combo. Slow in advance of a potential sideways push gives a better chance of dealing safely with it.

Yep, I cruised I-84 through the Gorge today buffing a strong head wind in my T-181. 55 mph was plenty fast enough. Probably didn't go faster than 40 across The Dalles bridge and slower on the Hood River one.
Type17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

bingo! slow down before your speed becomes dangerous. just like stopping before you hit that car in front of you and turning before you drive off the road. an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure.
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit the Chesapeake Bay Bridge today over and back in official wind warning conditions. THAT WAS FUN! 😌
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gauche1968 wrote:
Hit the Chesapeake Bay Bridge today over and back in official wind warning conditions. THAT WAS FUN! 😌

The old bridge was way worse Shocked ! Glad you lived to tell about it Very Happy .
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Chicago in 1984. There was a 70 mph wind one day. I came across a Geo Metro on the wrong side of the guard rail, between the guard rail and the chain link fence of the park. The car was completely unscuffed, there were no gaps in the guardrail, there were no gaps in the chain link fence. I had stopped to ask how the hell he managed to get the car there. The driver was not particularly shaken although thoroughly perplexed about how to get out of the situation. He had been driving on LakeShore drive one moment and on the wrong side of the guardrail the next. No other possible answer the wind had picked up the car clean over the guardrail and gently deposited it on the other side.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most front engine cars have the aerodynamic center of effort (ACOE) behind the center of gravity of the car. When the wind blows, the car pivots into the wind, which is "self correcting" the rear engine ACVW family has the ACOE in front of the COG, which means the wind blast turns you away from the wind, which makes you feel it much more.
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a 68 camper and was blown across 3 lanes of the glenn Jackson(I-205) bridge.luckily it was a sunday morning and not much traffic.been across Astoria bridge many times and was never hit by wind like I was on 205 bridge.real cautious about bridges now,even in my vanagon.newport bridge on the coast gets some mean gusts of wind.usually can't go more than 25 mph cause of traffic.i pucker up every time I cross bridges now
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Most front engine cars have the aerodynamic center of effort (ACOE) behind the center of gravity of the car. When the wind blows, the car pivots into the wind, which is "self correcting" the rear engine ACVW family has the ACOE in front of the COG, which means the wind blast turns you away from the wind, which makes you feel it much more.

This supposedly is the reason for being blown around so badly, but I also believe there are other causes. I think the front suspension design of a bus accounts for a lot of the drift when hit by a gust. The vertical king pin angle (whether you have king pins or ball joints) is far from ideal and I think accounts for a good part of the instability as the body rocks in the wind. The blunt nose don't help any either. It would be interesting to drive a bus with one of those replacement suspension systems (McPherson strut ?) installed that you can buy in Europe, I think they may be made in England but am not sure.

I drove my first bus with a 16' boat lashed to the top in some windy conditions. At first I was really expecting it to almost be unmanageable, but it actually drove better than the same bus did without the roof load. Not sure how to explain that. Maybe just a change in the moment of inertia. Having a canoe on top does not have the same effect as that much heavier boat did.

FWIW, driving into and out of some few tunnels can throw you around pretty severely as well.

Last edited by Wildthings on Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: