Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread...
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread... Reply with quote

Hey skills.
It is a diesel. But it's also brand new, fresh off the lot so I won't be walking into any issues. I'll sell it when the warrantee is up, build a new one with all the lessons learned from living in it. Or who knows, maybe I'll try something else. Either way.
If you're interested I may tell the guy who bought my bus that it could use a Subaru transaxle and that you would be the man for the job. I don't think money is an issue. Just getting it there.

Follow my adventures in the GoWAND'RLoST bus on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/gowandrlost/
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread... Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
don't know if it's an option but you do not want a diesel sprinter....1000% garbage. if you do get a diesel, you'd better be ready to shell out HUGE coin to keep it alive. I have 2 friends with shops that specialize in them....the horror stories are just plain amazing.

Listen to this man.

I know someone who purchased a fleet of 2013 Sprinter Diesels for an around-town delivery business. After 3 years of absolute mechanical hell, he sold all of them for less than the price of one new one.

He since purchased two Nissan Navara NV500's and has been driving them ever since with zero issues.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread... Reply with quote

don't know if it's an option but you do not want a diesel sprinter....1000% garbage. if you do get a diesel, you'd better be ready to shell out HUGE coin to keep it alive. I have 2 friends with shops that specialize in them....the horror stories are just plain amazing.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread... Reply with quote

@helmut,@tritessa-- even though she's still in the parking lot here (just waiting for the cashiers check to clear) I already miss driving her. I'll look back at this whole experience fondly and with nostalgia. Selling that '56 Ghia is a story I still like to tell. Now I have a great story about re-engineering an old VW bus, driving it clear across the USA. Across the Vail Pass in a blizzard. Offroading in Moab. Good stories all. And I get to end every story with, "and I couldn't have done any of it without the advice, the input and long conversations with the great peeps on the samba"

I'll check back in with y'all from time to time

tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread... Reply with quote

Good to see you pop your head up again, even if it is just to say "later, gators!"

Don't be a stranger!
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread... Reply with quote

Hey Bud ! Even with the modern amenities you will still miss the Bus Very Happy
Happy trails my friend !
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread... Reply with quote

Howdy all!

After an epic birthday road trip to Moab two weeks ago. After 13,000 problem free miles of mountain crossings and daily driving.... I made the decision to sell the bus.

In fact, I sold her to the first person to come and see her!! AND got $500 more than my asking price!! Here she is in all her press glory:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Soon I'll be retrofitting a 2017 Mercedes Benz Sprinter van, living in it full time, doing some travel nursing and photography. It just seems like the next step. I'll have 400watts of solar, 400 amp /hrs of batteries. 2000watt inverter charger. Dometic fridge. Webasto Diesel furnace. 21gallon water tank with a sureflo pump. On demand propane hot water and a 2 burner stove fueled by the largest undermount westy propane tank. It's all in my garage waiting for installation. Sprinter comes on Tuesday. If you're interested, click the link in my sig and follow me on Instagram. Eventually I'll post build pix

Anyway. Thanks all for the good times. Great conversations. Newfound friends. It's just time to move on to something larger. Newer. You know.. Something not as cool Smile

Crispyfritter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread... Reply with quote

Just read through this and your bug thread ( I have a red 74 Super). Thanks for sharing your successes and failures, all whilst navigating nursing school. You and my wife have the same profession. If you're ever in SW Kansas (I'm actually up your way often), PM me and we'll connect.

Chris
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread... Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
Sorry I cant give you a review on my 5 speed yet, as I only got as high as 3rd in my (no brakes) test drive. In hibernation now but with all this rain I might just have to pop out this weekend to test out the brakes. Just wish I had heat Laughing

Not for nothing, but I might need a heater core redesign. When it gets below 10* the stock subee heater core just can't keep up. That or I need to box the front cab in so the heater doesn't have to heat so much square footage.

captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread... Reply with quote

Nepenthe88 wrote:
Hey guys. Long time... The bus is doing great out here in Colorado, and I figured it was time for an update.

I hit 11,000 miles on the conversion just the other day, with nothing major to report. I lost the drivers rear brake line coming over the mountains (looks like the line dropped and the cv wore a tiny hole thru it). I switched out the master cylinder since I was messing with brakes. Other than that, and adding some additional mounting points to the exhaust, and changing oil, I haven't really needed to do any work on her. Yay!

Anyway, I'm considering a transaxle overhaul and wanted to get people's opinions on a rebuild. Should I have it re-geared with a taller 3 /4 or stay stock? And if so, what size gears? Should I plan on replacing the Mainshaft? LSD? And who should I have do the work?

Sorry I cant give you a review on my 5 speed yet, as I only got as high as 3rd in my (no brakes) test drive. In hibernation now but with all this rain I might just have to pop out this weekend to test out the brakes. Just wish I had heat Laughing
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread... Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
a conversion with a 5 speed is in the works. I will report my feelings on that when it all comes together

Well, I guess that answers my question... I can get by for now. If you think five speed is worth it, I'm game to follow along. If not, I can get my hands on a good used 091 to regear. Keep me posted please, cause if I trust anyone's judgment, it's yours.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread... Reply with quote

I am at about 73 @3200 rpms IIRC.

I am happy with it. the only time I miss a 5 speed is if I want to drop a gear and pass someone FAST....she'll pull good with the 4 speed but the reality is, it's a bus.....it's a miracle I haven't laid her on her side (yet) a 5 speed for sure would get me killed.

I have been using ben @ benco. good guy. doesn't put up with bullshit and is kind of course. guess that's why I like him Very Happy

but know this....you are putting 3x the power thru a box designed for 65 horse....drive it easy and you should have no problems. if you hammer on it, I would suspect the 200 year old technology to rear its ugly head in the terms of issues...no matter how "built" it is

a conversion with a 5 speed is in the works. I will report my feelings on that when it all comes together

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread... Reply with quote

Well you can kinda take it for a test run with his youtube videos! Razz
Not a Priest.
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread... Reply with quote

BusPriest wrote:
IIRC, Skillz said a built 091 and 009 are very different. Skillz very much likes the 091 he had built for his blue bus. I would give that thread a once over as he goes over it in detail.

Yup. Just checked it out. he's running 091 internals with the following gear ratios:

ratios:
1 3.80
2 2.06
3 1.14
4 .70
r&p 4.57

When I talked to Rancho, that's what he recommended. I'm still not sure if doing it makes sense financially. Shame I can't take Skills blue bus for a test drive to see the differene Twisted Evil

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread... Reply with quote

Skills runs a built 002. Don't cha Skills?

Nepenthe88, hows CO treating you? I'm hoping to be up there for VW on the Green in May. I'm hosting a off road/camping event down here at the end of July, you should try to come. I'll have the thread posted soon in the events forum, keep a look out.
’65 Deluxe Build
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread... Reply with quote

IIRC, Skillz said a built 091 and 009 are very different. Skillz very much likes the 091 he had built for his blue bus. I would give that thread a once over as he goes over it in detail.
Not a Priest.
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread... Reply with quote

pantone149 wrote:
As a point of reference I am running a 002 built up with superdif and 4.57 new gleason ring and pinion, 091 bell-housing, and 091 input shaft. That way I run a Vanagon clutch. At 60 mph it's spinning about 3,000 RPM with very close to stock diameter tires (215-65-15).

Interesting. Mostly cause I'm at 3200rpm at 60, but with big tires. Makes me wonder if it's worth the expense

pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread... Reply with quote

As a point of reference I am running a 002 built up with superdif and 4.57 new gleason ring and pinion, 091 bell-housing, and 091 input shaft. That way I run a Vanagon clutch. At 60 mph it's spinning about 3,000 RPM with very close to stock diameter tires (215-65-15).
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread... Reply with quote

Hey guys. Long time... The bus is doing great out here in Colorado, and I figured it was time for an update.

I hit 11,000 miles on the conversion just the other day, with nothing major to report. I lost the drivers rear brake line coming over the mountains (looks like the line dropped and the cv wore a tiny hole thru it). I switched out the master cylinder since I was messing with brakes. Other than that, and adding some additional mounting points to the exhaust, and changing oil, I haven't really needed to do any work on her. Yay!

Anyway, I'm considering a transaxle overhaul and wanted to get people's opinions on a rebuild. Should I have it re-geared with a taller 3 /4 or stay stock? And if so, what size gears? Should I plan on replacing the Mainshaft? LSD? And who should I have do the work?

Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread... Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Sounds like you're having no problem adapting to the Colorado lifestyle. Im hoping to meet up with you in the near future on one of my Denver trips. Glad your bus is doing well.

If they hadn't changed my schedule at the last minute, I would have road tripped to Gunnison and Mesa Verde today. When I do I'll look you up, unless you come this way first.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 47

Jump to: