Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 Westy Weekender revival
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Festival!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see the main stage in the background, we be close.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Another successful festival in the books! The bus preformed perfectly and was a delight to sleep in as always. Even if Miles got sick on Saturday night and puked all over the bed. 🤮 We had a drive by sighting of theLils this morning in downtown Pagosa, I tried to track them down with no success.

We spent 6 days and 5 nights at the festival this year, sooo fun. Besides the puking,Miles did great and our booth did great as well. No pics sorry, next festival is at the end of the month. Woot woot!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Did a car show yesterday at Ska Brewing. Won a growler and CBD oil in the raffle, good times!

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Looks like fun! Smile
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Loaded and headed to another festival. This weekend we'll be vending and camping at the Wines of Rhw San Juan’s Harvest Festival in Blanco, NM.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Have a good time
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

I don’t see enough Ska Beer in there.. Wink

Hope the trip is good as always! Btw- your bus is famous on Instagram now; you can’t sell it!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I don’t see enough Ska Beer in there.. Wink

Hope the trip is good as always! Btw- your bus is famous on Instagram now; you can’t sell it!

Naw...that just means he can sell it for more!! Very Happy

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

I’m pretty sure I took that pic at the 2017 SW Colorado Off Road Adventure in the San Juan Mountains between Purgatory and Rico. The only forum I posted that picture on was here, where Hazelnutguy when you need him.

Not only did they post my picture they are also using it as their avatar, some people...

The Harvest Festival is a blast. I’ll post a recap of the weekend and pics tomorrow. Cell service is poor here, we are in a canyon.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

The festival was great. Good music, cool people, great views and the booth did good! Although Saturday morning was an it stressful. So we load up head out Saturday, stop at my inlaws house and drop off the dogs. We make it to the festival around 930ish, all is good. We pull up to out spot and have the best location, we are all smiles. We unload the bus and set up the booth. Around 1045 my wife asks, where’s the jewelry box? Oh shit!!!! Turns out we forgot the most important box, the one will all the merchandise in it. So I jump in the bus and hightail it back to Durango. It took me like 1:10 each way and I was moving. Drove at least 5 mph over the speed limit the whole way and rolled 70 as much as I could. The bus took it like a champ! It had zero issues, temps were low and it still got good MPGs. I made it back a little over an hour after the gates opened. Ended up driving ~190 hard miles that morning and still had 1/3 a tank of fuel. By this time the camping area was pretty full. But we were able to find a nice spot, perfect for a bus, that was very shady. Then we festivaled on for the next 30 hours. Woot! We’ve hit the festival scene pretty hard this summer, good times!!!

Total miles: 272
MPG: 21.07
Oil consumption: 0
Broke 20k miles on the engine

Pushing it hard

Temps stayed constant at 70

A few bad scenery pics for grandpapete

Miles P loves camping in the bus

Few more pics wifey took

VW all day! VW Logo

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Glad the trip went well, and the bus served you like a well loved horse. Those temps are nice and low for 70MPH! Your engine is one happy baby. Do you have an external oil cooler? What was the outside temp?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Glad the trip went well, and the bus served you like a well loved horse. Those temps are nice and low for 70MPH! Your engine is one happy baby. Do you have an external oil cooler? What was the outside temp?

Thx. I have a deep sump, a Maxi Cool oil cooler w/fan, a 180* TStat and a big ass oil filter. The whole system holds ~6 quarts of oil. I hardly ever use the fan as my oil temps rarely go over 200*. The outside temp was 85* and sunny with very little wind. The engine does run nice a cool, I can really notice the low head temps with the CNC ported CB 044 heads. They also have CNCed wedge shaped combustion chambers, zoom zoom!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

Thx. I have a deep sump, a Maxi Cool oil cooler w/fan, a 180* TStat and a big ass oil filter. The whole system holds ~6 quarts of oil. I hardly ever use the fan as my oil temps rarely go over 200*. The outside temp was 85* and sunny with very little wind. The engine does run nice a cool, I can really notice the low head temps with the CNC ported CB 044 heads. They also have CNCed wedge shaped combustion chambers, zoom zoom!

Ah! That makes sense. I saw around 220-225 while going 65 into a head wind, about 85*F as well (But I don't have a deep sump or an external oil cooler with fan) I'm thinking of adding the oil cooler with the fan, it should be easy to T into my external oil filter line. Do you think the external oil cooler or the deep sump is more effective?

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:

Ah! That makes sense. I saw around 220-225 while going 65 into a head wind, about 85*F as well (But I don't have a deep sump or an external oil cooler with fan) I'm thinking of adding the oil cooler with the fan, it should be easy to T into my external oil filter line. Do you think the external oil cooler or the deep sump is more effective?

I use to see 220-240* with the 2109 I had, it only had a deep sump. Personally I think using the deep sump and the external cooler in conjunction is the way to go. But I think the external cooler makes a bigger difference then the sump.

Here’s a pic of my set up from page 2 of this thread. It’s a tight set up with the cooler and filter in the engine bay.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Alright, thank you. I'm not seeing 240 at least, although I'm sure I could get it there if I tried hard enough.

That setup does look pretty clean. Did you cut out the drivers side battery tray to allow airflow through the cooler?

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:

That setup does look pretty clean. Did you cut out the drivers side battery tray to allow airflow through the cooler?

Yes
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

Yes

Bummer. Idk if I'm willing to do that to my bus, especially since my oil filter is currently mounted on mine. Things to ponder. Anyway, just re-read your entire thread. What a headache with the engines! I hope this one lasts longer than the last couple. And you have one understanding wife, mine would have thrown my bus to the crusher had I told her I needed a new engine after only 3k miles. Anyways, one of my favorite buses on thesamba. Keep it up.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
richparker wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

Yes

Bummer. Idk if I'm willing to do that to my bus, especially since my oil filter is currently mounted on mine. Things to ponder. Anyway, just re-read your entire thread. What a headache with the engines! I hope this one lasts longer than the last couple. And you have one understanding wife, mine would have thrown my bus to the crusher had I told her I needed a new engine after only 3k miles. Anyways, one of my favorite buses on thesamba. Keep it up.

I really wasn’t saying that’s how you or someone should do it. There is many ways you skin the oil cooler cat, that’s just how mine is set up. Many people have expressed their dislike to my set up both here and in real life. A few people were total assholes about it even, screw those guys it’s my bus. On top of that I’ve been running that set up for like 35k, it’s proven it’s efficiency time and time again.

Wifey has no issues with the bus, it just needs to be reliable. So if it needs an engine rebuild, it’s gonna happen.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

I didn't think you were saying I had to do it that way. I actually like that setup. It seems very efficient from a cooling standpoint. I'm just not sure I'm willing to cut into my battery tray. But when/if I go to install an external oil cooler, i'll consider it. Because I agree, it's not their bus! It's not my problem they don't like it.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Drove the everyday to race the everyday.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1902599111
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 24

Jump to: