Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 Westy Weekender revival
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Congrats, that first service tells the tell.
Many trouble free miles to come.
Tcash
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I remember when he was a baby. You and the wife took him on that long trip and I thought you were nuts! Smile

That was a great time! It was 2 years ago next week. Great times!

Here's the link, if anyone would like to see it. Smile
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598487&highlight=

Tcash wrote:
Congrats, Many trouble free miles to come.
Tcash

I sure hope you're right Tcash!

Good day cruising in the bus today. Today it took me to the trails for a great MTB ride, back home, picked up the family and went back into town. We went to a Bday party, hit the supermarket and the car wash. Bus ran great and temps were good, but we all know a bus runs better when it's clean. I did however get a few wifs of the exhaust. My guess is now that it's exiting on the drivers side I can smell it. It's not bad and deffently coming through the drivers side window.

While in town I had a quick drive by visit from samba member Mtnbus. He met me to pick up some VW parts. When I was at the shop yesterday I grabbed some parts for him that they ordered for him so he didn't have to drive out there and pick them up. We also did some trading, I traded him a EMPI header and single pack muffler for a case of beer.

Mtnbus, his '62 Turk and the Bone Bus.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

The Bone Bus is running great! Turns over on a tap of the key and roars to life. After 3 new strokers in 3 years (insert Skills opinion) I can say that I can totally feel it "loosing" up. The power will be available to me soon...... Twisted Evil So far the first 3 tanks (91) have been right at 15.9 MPG. I'm thinking that's low. So I went back and looked at my in town MPG of the last 2175 and 2109, turns out they are right around 15.9. So I'm hoping for the same highway milage (20-22) as those engines but, you never know. It did way to many changes from the last engine to this one that I'm kinda starting over again, with lot and lots and lots of recorded info this time though.

Tomorrow is the yearly car show on Main St. I'm meeting my buddy,who has a nameless '63 SC at 8 am. If you want to park next to a certain car you better roll in together. I invited Durangos newest samba member resident, Samroon, but he's busy taking tourists rafting down the river. It's super high right now, like 3000 CFS, be safe Sam. Super long day on the clock so I did the 1030pm self car wash, Asiab3 style!

That shitty F-int regulator broke already.......so pissed. It goes down easy, but gong up it gets stuck 1/2 way. Grrrrrr.............I'm gonna be on the hunt so if any of you find a link to an OG drivers side regulator, I want one. I have no doubt that I'll be on the interweb looking while I'm at the show tomorrow.

Super stoked to have my bus back!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

I did the search. Every one is selling the same regulator I have, the 211837501. CIP is the cheapest with the free shipping, always a plus with them. No OG ones in the classifieds. It's hot, I need a working window!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Just emailed Busted Bus. Big ups to SGKent for having that info in his signature line!!!

Blowing up my own thread here....can you guys show me how to put the oil in?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Oil in what?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Blowing up my own thread..... can you guys show me how to put the oil in?

Laughing I see what you did there...

Looking good Rich. I need to get my stroker finished LOL

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

I put The Bone Bus in the local farthers day car show, it was a blast. I met my buddy with a '63 single cab around 8 and we headed over together. Main Street was pack with all sorts of classic and custom cars, trucks and motorcycles. I have 600 miles on the new engine and it is running great!

Lil P rocking the VW tee. Wink

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Aaawww yeaahhh!! Sweet pics, and even better carwash setup, ha! Now if you find a carwash with a sweet mural, you'll probably be the first!

How much longer do you think Lil P will be able to rep the front cot?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

^I'm thinking 2 more summers. But you never know, the kid's growing like a weed.

That's an epic road trip you have planned!!!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Aaawww yeaahhh!! Sweet pics, and even better carwash setup, ha! Now if you find a carwash with a sweet mural, you'll probably be the first!

How much longer do you think Lil P will be able to rep the front cot?

Robbie

Already did:

That's on the side of the wash bays

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

So, I ran into my insurance agent (State Farm) at the car show last weekend. I told him I wanted to go see him and discuss my current policy's (mostly just the bus) and set up and appointment. I went in this morning and took care of business. I got him to double our agreed value of my bus for $6,000 to $12,000 with really no questions asked , holla!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

That's pretty cool Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

All loaded up and on my way to Pagosa Sorings, Co for the weekend. Wifey is vending her jewelry at the 4th of July festival there. It's been raining for 2 days and it didn't look like its gonna stop, we're gonna get wet. This will be my first road/camping trip with the new engine. It will only be around 150 miles but it will be a good mpg indicator. If it's not close to 22 I'm gonna have to make some jet changes.

I gotta say, this engine is so quite! The VS has made a major difference in the sound and it's also killing my milage. It's a trade off...

Happy 4th!

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

I gotta say, this engine is so quite! The VS has made a major difference in the sound and it's also killing my milage. It's a trade off...

Happy early 4th Rich! The VS killed my milage with the stock 1600dp until I changed out jets too. It completely alters the induction signature of the engine, so it's naive of us to think we don't have to do some tuning! Cool

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

^What Jets did you change? I'm thinking about going down in the main jet and go from there. My builder recommended putting a smaller idle jet in but last time we did that there was a flat spot. But that wasn't on this engine.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
^What Jets did you change? I'm thinking about going down in the main jet and go from there. My builder recommended putting a smaller idle jet in but last time we did that there was a flat spot. But that wasn't on this engine.

I went from a 130 to a 127.5 on the main. My pilot jet should have gone one size leaner as well, but I was doing a lot of hot hot desert road trips so I left it for enrichment at low-RPM flogs.
(34pict3)

My new engine also didn't hit 20mpg until about 1000-1200 miles on it.

Robbie
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

I Understand we have different carbs but the concept is the same. I'm currently running a 120 main and think I should try 117.5 (if there is such an animal).

I hear you on the new "tight" engine. I'm at 900 miles right now, I understand it's still breaking in. The current town milage is close to my old engine. But if I put any sort of foot into it the needle move south rapidly. So I'm thinking main jet because I'm seeing high gas consumption at WOT.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

75 miles on 1/4 of a tank, not bad.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

I just got a PM from member 2Type2 asking about things to do in Durango. I respond to him but....my message can't go through cause I'm on his ignore list. Oh the comedy!

So 2type2, if you want to know what the haps are here in Durango take me off your ignore list.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 24

Jump to: