Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 Westy Weekender revival
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

It's 37* out this morning so I decided to give the sump heater a go to make sure it still works. About a hour after I plugged it in I was out loading up the bus, saw the IR gun and decided to check the temps of the heater and the sump. The heating element read 130* and the sump was at 80*. I touched the sump and it was noticeably warm. So, it still works. Smile

The new starter is a lot healthier then the one I replaced. It sounds better and has more power.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Pre warmed oil + flaps = pretty good heat on my commute to work

Don't forget to use the manual choke on those cold mornings. Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Don't forget to use the manual choke on those cold mornings. Wink

LOL
Is that the newer model to replace the brick I used to use? Razz

My 1968 Campmobile
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Opening day at Purgatory yesterday. Not much snow yet this year so they opened the bike park at 9am and a few ski runs at 1pm. It was fun to MTB and snowboard on the same day at the same mountain.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Hey Rich! What make/brand/etc is your side tent? Got more pics of it in use?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Its a Spacemaker, similar to the Add-A-Room Bus Depot sells.

There are some pics of it on this thread.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607361&highlight=
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Fun afternoon with the bus. I changed the oil and filter, used 10/30. I adjusted the valves, 1,2 and 4 were a tad loose (.007). 3 was spot on. Used new cork gaskets in the valve covers, thanks for leaving those Robbie. I adjusted the brakes, they were crazy loose. It's been over 2k since the last adjustment and there was way to much pedal travel for me. I wiped down the engine both in the bay and underneath. It was pretty dirty from the Tucson trip and the undercarriage got covered in mud 2 weeks back at the ski resort. Drove it around the hood when I was done, ready to rally to the ski resort in the morning.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Looking good and sounding good, Does your bus still have stock brakes? Or have you done a Disc Brake Modification for it?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Looking good and sounding good, Does your bus still have stock brakes? Or have you done a Disc Brake Modification for it?

Thanks Dan! I just broke 9K on this build. I am running the stock braking system on the bus. OG master cylinder, OG drums (the fronts could be changed) and OG front brake cylinders. I've replaced the soft lines, replaced the '68 only upper res with a '71 one, all new shoes, new German rear cylinders and new rear brake springs.

I really do not see a need to upgrade to disc brakes. Although my bus has a large displacement engine I only cruise at 60. It just goes 60 everywhere. Wink
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Yeah, I need to do some of that to mine. There is a outfit here in Oregon that puts Front Disc Brakes on them. I have heard that Porsche 944 Disk Brakes fit. And of course the 71 ones. CSP, Not sure what all has to be done.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

OG drums (the fronts could be changed)

Dan I think you're confusing what I'm saying here. The bus could use a set of new front drums, not disc brakes. I have no plans to upgrade the braking system, just maintain it.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

No Didn't think that but they would be a really nice upgrade for you bus. Sounds like it's serving you really well. I will probably have to build a stroker 94 combo at some point just to see what it's all about. But what I have is fine for here. I still don't feel comfortable driving mine all the way to Colorado. It's so much easier in the Subaru. But keep making the trip was out to Colorado Springs Area in November.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

What another great weekend! This weekend I raced the 12hrs of Mesa Verde MTB race just outside Durango. I raced on a four man team sponcered by Ska Brewing. Big ups to them for the super dooper hook up! We loaded my truck with most of the gear and the bus only had to carry the camping stuff. Bus killed it, leaviing the truck in the dust on the 6% grades. Don't get me wrong the truck had me on the flats, but not touching the bus on the climbs. Which is the total opposite of the race I had. I slayed the DH/Flow sections and got caught again on the climbs. Got 19.5 MPG this adventure, not the best but not the worst. Lost of wind and 2 good climbs, still rolled 60 just because.

Anyway, Lil P won the kids push bike race and I'm one step closer to raising an Olympic athlete...going big!

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

One year ago yesterday I got my bus from JAD Machine with my new engine. I've driven it 9783 miles during that time. Not the most Miles on the forum but definitely up there. Everything seems to be ok, no leaks and its not using any oil. The thing I notice the most is how the KEP pressure plate has broken in. It is sooooo smooth, grabs the gears amazingly and not a lick of chatter. 👍👍. Summer plans including having the transaxle rebuilt, rebuild CVs, new boots and possibly new tires.

Drove the bus all day yesterday. I picked up my buddy in the morning and went for a MTB ride on the Colorado Trail. Great times with 2200' of climbing and 2200' feet of decending. No issues with the bus and the trail was amazing.

At the trail head with snow covered peaks in the background

How the engine looks today, still kinda clean.

The engine has settled in nicely. It's getting 16.5 MPG in town and 21.5 on the highway, no too bad for a 2175.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Racing the Buckley Eliminator, part of the Zia/Devo Town Series. Downtown Durango, right on Main St.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Racing the Buckley Eliminator, part of the Zia/Devo Town Series. Downtown Durango, right on Main St.

Love it!!!! Looks like you got off work, saw a race happening, and jumped on in. Cool next race I want to see you in a coat and tie Cool

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

^Xevin, I gave those suits up looong ago...learned a lot back then, mostly that I don't want to be like them!

The stars aligned and I made last minute registration for the MTB race on Sunday. It's part of the Iron Horse Classic, the race goes through Steamworks Brewery. Shit is on this weekend!!!🚵🚵🚵
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Adjusted the brakes, rotated the tires and checked the air pressure.

All loaded up, mini road trip time! Headed to Purgatory Resort to ride the new flow trails. Then off to Pagosa Springs where wifey is vending her jewelry. Gonna camp and ride in Pagosa too.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Niiiiiice. I dunno how I missed all the updates, but that pic of you and Lil P is fantastic- I would treasure that forever. (Cause if you guys are anything like 71whitewesty's family, he probably shreds harder than me AND will be giving you a run for your money in a decade and a half!)

Good roads!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Westy Weekender revival Reply with quote

Super fun day MTBing at the mountain. Off to the 4th of a July feat now!

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 24

Jump to: