Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6 volt 1500 Install - what's involved?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeVertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: 6 volt 1500 Install - what's involved? Reply with quote

I read a lot about converting a 6 volt pre 1967 car to 12 volts but what about installing a 67-69 single port in a pre 1967 type 1? can I retain the 6 volt system and if so what is involved? Thanks
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly installing the early 6 volt generator, and its stand.

Make sure you use the right sized cooling fan for the later engine.
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more pointer here? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=478202
DeVertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for steering me toward the "previous posted posts on the subject" that I could not find and thanks for the added information. Not sure what year would have a 200mm 6 volt flywheel but I can only a assume 1966 1300. Anyone know that answer for sure?

I would very much like to replace my 1965 40 hp with my first choice a 1966 1300 if I can find one or a 1500 which seems like a more likely "can do" if I can find the right flywheel to mate the 1500 crank and a 6 volt starter, or . . . did I read correct that a 6 volt flywheels fit 1500 but not vice versa. At this point I feel a bit stupid asking but I do know things rarely go as smoothly as one might hope when doing swaps. Just want to do my homework before I go out and buy a bunch of useless parts.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be sure which your engine has requires removing the engine and counting flywheel teeth, or if you have a helper, remove starter and count teeth as helper turns engine by hand. The latter is easier if you remove the spark plugs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: