Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Bumper Mod?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Front Bumper Mod? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone. I keep reading how the '73 and later front Bumper is superior to the early Bays' bumper, and I was wondering if anyone has retrofit a later ( not sure what to call it) under/body bumper - not the bumper itself- but the stamped lower front section that adds the strength, to an early Bay? I'd imagine the inner and middle lower sections also need to be changed? Then, can the early bumper fit over the later under-bumper, just for the looks? Maybe trim down the body bumper so the early front bumper will fit over it?
Thanks for any ideas.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over our side of the pond all you can get is Brazilian extremely late bay deformation panels.These have vertically paired bolts to fix the fender and have a curved profile more like early.

I was just discussing this on Saturday with the vw guy I take my bus to. You have to weld in a flat panel to fix a horizontal pair of nut inserts on each side of the bus for the late bay fender. I will need this doing soon the panel on mine is more holes and piles of rust inside bondo..

We were standing with my 1974 bay next to a 2010 brazilian water cooled so it was clear the difference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's the front bumper that's so superior, rather the whole redesigned nose of the late bay that makes it stronger. The frame is different, there are diagonal braces going from the frame out to the body, the crumple zone behind the late bumper, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Unpopular wrote:
I don't think it's the front bumper that's so superior, rather the whole redesigned nose of the late bay that makes it stronger. The frame is different, there are diagonal braces going from the frame out to the body, the crumple zone behind the late bumper, etc.

Same frame with the diagonals from 1970, some slots were added to the diagonals in 72 to make them crumple and the extra inner bumper was added in 73. The inner bumper is the main difference, that thing is thick and heavy.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so it's called the inner bumper? My 72 has the diagonal braces, but the whole lower nose needs replacing, so I thought of using an inner bumper off a later year to add some strength up front, thoughI'd really like to use the OG bumper. Come to think of it, doesn't the later bumper bolt directly to the inner?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: