Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pre 48 Round Jacking points
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
52panelvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Pre 48 Round Jacking points Reply with quote

Hi,

I have has a good search and not found alot about them.

Im guessing they are tricky to obtain.
Does anyone know if they are they are available as reproductions and or what sort of money would you expect to pay for a pair of original vw ones?

Thanks for any help

Mark
splitpartsunlimited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just measure it from an existing 48 and buy same specs pipe ....installation of the part should be no rocket science if you also take a few pics of the og part ...

if you don`t want to get back to your house with dirty clothes , take a big mirror with you .... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

1951 crotch cooler split
1971 1302 cabriolet
1981 Mercedes Benz 230 military "Gelandewagen"
2010 Mercedes Benz c200 kompressor touring
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
52panelvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will take my mirror Very Happy

Ok so i guess you are saying later ones can be modified with pipe to make earlier ones? Is the flat section that sits on the pan/ sill the same pressings as later ones?

Mark
splitpartsunlimited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess so , but correct me if i am wrong , please

1951 crotch cooler split
1971 1302 cabriolet
1981 Mercedes Benz 230 military "Gelandewagen"
2010 Mercedes Benz c200 kompressor touring
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a photo of one, I'm guessing they are quite impossible to find, making one from scratch would be difficult but if you start with an early square one ( up to late 50s ) it shouldn't be that hard to make

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
47bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the replacement round hole jack.And if you happen to find an extra jack for one of these, let me know. Guy
52panelvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help.

Dont want to labour a point as there is not much more to know than you have written here on round jacking points other than the pair i have dont have the flat reinforcing bar at the bottom but look completely factory (as per billmetric's picture) with no obvious modifications or grinding? Also Dont appear to have been removed from the pan as factory spots are still there -odd.

Anyway thanks again

Mark
erioco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Round jack points Reply with quote

Mark, what year is your round jack point car? From some pix it is hard to see if there is a bar below, but then again I wasn't looking for that , my 47 has the bar below.

Eric

Mark,
found info via pix In the book Volkswagen Beetle: "The rise from the ashes" by Simon Parkinson

He has some good pix of very early REME cars,and bare chassis, ie 45-46 era showing no vertical flat bar underneath, so my guess is that the 'round only' were very early and they found that they were not stable, and added the bar below later. Either that or some were with and others without due to material probs, both are reasonable given the times. I would hang on to them, if not I might buy them.
Pix in question are on pp 63 of his book includes a bare chassis with jack point clearly visible and a pic of a sedan tipped on its side with the bottom of the jacking point visible but you need to look carefully. Also several pix of the Radclyffe Roadster (pp106) with just the round jack point, and that was built in 46, and I think that several pix of the first three Heb prototypes also show what could be a round jacking point (but harder to see). This might be a reason that the prototype cars for the Heb and the Karmann are referred to as early (read old) cars being used for prototype models. Many have thought that the round versus square was the point in question, but it might be the round alone versus round with bar was in question, which wiould make sense of the statements since the square didn't come in until late 48 or mid 49? and the statements were made while the round style was still being used, in production but with a vertical reinforcing bar beneath.
Eric

You have to realize that the jacking point was new during the war. The pix of most of the Kubels show scissor jacks. I am guessing that the jack point came in around 44, when the 40 liter gas tank came in and was built into the kubel at the same time. So it was about a year later that military production stopped and then a several month hiatus in "Production" (versus assembling some vehicles from parts available) so they didnt have much chance to reinforce this potential weak spot with the bar beneath. Don't forget that it took the plant 4 or 5 years to get rid of the round jacking points for a square one that didn't roll off the jack so easily.

One last point, given that damaged vehicles were taken back and refurbished, a "later" car could have very early characteristics, depending on what was damaged and what could be salvaged. So a "47 " may have a salvaged 45 or 46 chassis underneath, or at least parts from an earlier chassis, like jacking points.

Eric

Last edited by erioco on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
beetlekey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: I have made a set of 6 repro jacked Reply with quote

I had the same problem and made 6 peaces for some poor guys like me Very Happy
I will post a pic next days. The price is 50 Euros each + shipping.
Best regards from germany
Marcus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
52panelvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the information Gents - i think Erioco has the reason they have no bar then, i had only found a few pics of them all with the bar.

Im very sorry to say i dont have the whole car just some metal parts from it, i got for something else but wont be needing the jack points.

I will recheck the conditon first as i would trade(rather than sell) them if they are usefull to someone as i have no immediate use for them and I can only live in hope that i would have one day needed them for a very early beetle restoration.

Thanks again

Mark
Genrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Round Reply with quote

Here is a photo of my June of 48 round jack point.
From the chassis number I figure 200 VW's later they went to square!
Erich, Wendy and future 48 driver baby Karsten

VW1948
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Round Reply with quote

Genrich wrote:
Here is a photo of my June of 48 round jack point.
From the chassis number I figure 200 VW's later they went to square!
Erich, Wendy and future 48 driver baby Karsten

I have a 48 that I am restoring, so it would be very interresting to know from which chassinumber VW went to square Question
beetlekey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: There must be a little modification in 47 Reply with quote

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/1994995.jpg
the metalplate under the holder. IN 46 they have nothing like that.
[/img]http://www.kaeferschluessel.de
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlekey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erioco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genrich, what is the vin number when the jack point was changed to square?

I have been looking all over for info on the round jack points and there is hardly anything on them in the progressive changes, and nothing on changes within the round without bar and round with bar underneath.

Eric
Genrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,
I checked my J.T. Garwood book and the first square jack point came on chassis number 1-0079649. This replaced the old round "Vigot" jack.
Erich Kircher
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm making round jacking points. I have an old rusted original one as a sample, but I want to be 100% sure I have the correct inner diameter.

Could anyone measure an original jack what is the outer diameter of the jack tube? In mm please.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1495611
New projects
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad my '47 was solid & complete

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outer diameter is 34mm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich, but I'm looking for Jack's diameter.
New projects
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: