Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I cut the dash for a radio? Champagne Edition...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I cut the dash?
Do it, it'll be nice to be able to reach the radio!
41%
 41%  [ 26 ]
Don't do it, you'll kick yourself in the end!
58%
 58%  [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 63

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Should I cut the dash for a radio? Champagne Edition... Reply with quote

I've currently got a CD player stuck in the glove box, and that is okay though I am a bit tired of not being able to reach it easily while driving.

There is an old tape player in the slot in the dash, but the dash isn't cut.

I'm thinking of cutting it out to put in the cd player.

It does appear that I wouldn't really have to cut the padding, just the inside part. It also appears that I could still put the non-functional tape player in there if I so chose in the future; enough metal would be left to support it.

The dash is otherwise nice, no cracks in the padding or anything like that.

It is a Champagne Edition, so it is the brown dash.

The bus isn't anything super special, has some of the normal rust and such. At some point I'll restore it, though that isn't in the cards anytime in the near future. I have no plans to sell it, it was a gift from a family friend and I think I'd get in big trouble if I did! Very Happy

So, I guess the question is, would I kick myself in the future if I cut the dash? I'm not against mods, I've done some other stuff though it generally is all reversible.

Thoughts?

Last edited by vwwestyman on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't touch that dash, especially for the Champagne Edition. I've seen so many ruined by hack jobs that it makes me cry. Figure out something else, or get a unit that fits your bus.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO! Keep it in the glove box or find another way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
asbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, just a simple no.
Mount it in the back under a Z bed and use a remote to actuate the disks /radio / MP3 or what ever. I always wondered why they had a remote in most all new in dash units and then I bought a bus and I see why...
KC Very Happy
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say dont cut. You will regret it some day. Isnt the stock radio location the correct size for a "moder" cd player without cutting? I thought it was, but its been a while since I installed a stereo, although I will be installing one this week so I will watch this thread to decide what I should do with mine.
ChuxBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: measure twice, cut once Reply with quote

It's your bus... do what it takes to enhance your safety and enjoyment. Unless you expect this bus to be a money-making super-sano restoration showpiece trailer-queen...

or, sell the dash for top $$$ and get a dash with a modified DIN-compliant radio hole.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChuxBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: measure twice, cut once Reply with quote

I know there was a modified brown dash in a '78 in Virginia back in the 80's... Shocked

Last edited by ChuxBus on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
White99z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a mount to go under the dash to the left of the steering wheel! That's where I was going to put mine until I decided on the glovebox. The glovebox isn't really that far away!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busmania24 wrote:
I say dont cut. You will regret it some day. Isnt the stock radio location the correct size for a "moder" cd player without cutting? I thought it was, but its been a while since I installed a stereo, although I will be installing one this week so I will watch this thread to decide what I should do with mine.

No, the actual mounting hole would have to be enlarged a few mm on the top and bottom, and a couple mm on each side to fit the mounting "cage," the one with the folding tabs that you bend to hold the player.

The trim of the player does fit (tightly) in the opening in the padding, so the padding doesn't need cut, you wouldn't be able to see that it was cut at all with any radio (new or old) installed.

I'm sure the tape player doesn't work, though I was thinking maybe I could at least rig it so that turning the dial on it made the hidden cd player come on. Then it wouldn't have to be tied to the ignition switch, but would be simple to turn on and off. (I hate how you have to usually hold the button for several seconds to make it go fully off.)

The current cd player doesn't have a remote, but the new one I'd install does, so that would be a good compromise. Maybe use some self-sticking velcro to keep the remote in a convenient location.

But I would still appreciate seeing others thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need only take about 3mm max off all the way around to fit a modern radio. I did this one in less than an hour with a Dremel tool, using the cut-off wheel:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm pretty sure if I really wanted to put an OG Sapphire in that spot it would go right in and look just fine. I KNOW I really don't want to, though.
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
ChuxBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

melville wrote:
I did this one in less than an hour with a Dremel tool, using the cut-off wheel:
yeah, but did you do it to your Champagne?

...and how do you rate those under-dash speakers?
MOX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would modify!
A) you will enjoy your bus more
B) the next guy will cut it if you don't!
melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChuxBus wrote:
melville wrote:
I did this one in less than an hour with a Dremel tool, using the cut-off wheel:
yeah, but did you do it to your Champagne?

...and how do you rate those under-dash speakers?

PO did it to the Champagne, which I MIGHT be parting out (a solution for the OP?). I haven't looked in at it for a while, so I don't recall how good a job he did.

The under dash speakers are rear window speakers mounted upside down. I spent another hour or so making brackets for them. The left one ended up further outboard than the right one, so I still have full fusebox access. They give clear sound at volumes louder than I care to go, so they do just fine.
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
MLTIGGER2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't cut it buy a radio that fits and mount the cd changer in a remote location
check out this site
Soundmove.com
They sell radios for classic cars
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done with a hand file, tape the area around the opening top protect it, even if you have to go back to a double knob radio to be "original" the increased hole size will not interfere with mounting a obsolete radio.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little testing with the old tape player that is currently in the dash, and it actually works somewhat, which surprised me. (though the tape player portion keeps auto reversing over and over)

I also noticed that there was a wire labeled "power out."

So here is what I'm thinking:

I ordered a plastic glove box. I'll install the CD player in there as many have done.

Then, I'll hook up the yellow, signal wire from the CD player (ignition switch signal) to the power out wire on the radio.

That way, when I turn the knob, turning on the old radio, the new radio will come on and you'll hear music! I'll just velcro the remote somewhere easy to get to and/or get a remote commander that is wired to the back of the unit.
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

So, I guess the question is, would I kick myself in the future if I cut the dash?

You will if someone breaks a window to get in the bus and steal your nice stereo.
...If If stoner A takes a hit and then stoner B goes right away(not waiting two seconds), he's trying to suck on it while it's still got a vaccum, doesen't get much of a hit at all! Cause it hasn't filled back up all the way yet.

Stoner A is cylinders #2/4 B is #1/3 The plugged bowl is the throttle, the bong is the manifold
Bajatacoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut it! As others have said you only have to take a small amount all around, it's not noticeable and it makes driving safer and more enjoyable.

On the downside, my dash was near perfect fine until some kids decided to steal my stereo and tried to pry it out. Those are screwdriver marks around it. I always take the face plate off, but the shop left it on and you see what happened. I'd have been happy to string the teens up and gut them for the birds if I had caught them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?
Hunter S Thompson
181freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its your bus.. do what you want.. i cut mine.. once the new radio is in.. you cant even see where i slipped ...

Laughing

*Looking for any Dealer Items from
MIKE GRADY VOLKSWAGEN in South Carolina!!!
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cut it. It takes about 30 seconds and the pain will stop.
Reaching over to the glove box would be completely annoying, and I would think dangerous while driving.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: