Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

trans leaking...need some advice
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: trans leaking...need some advice Reply with quote

OK....Im very much a newbie when it comes to messing with the trans. I'm pulling a IRS trans out of a 70 bug. when I pulled the drivers side CV off at the trans, it appears the trans fluid has been leaking into the CV. The rubber/plastic cap that goes over the spline shaft that the CV attaches to was off....and the joint seemed to be filled with a mix of grease and gear oil.
Is this an easy fix??
thanks for any info
Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JerryB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pulling a IRS trans out of a 70 bug. when I pulled the drivers side CV off at the trans, it appears the trans fluid has been leaking into the CV.

Over the years, the CV grease has broke down and gets kinda runny. if you have a leak in the side cover seal in back of the companion flange of the trans, there might be a mixture because of slinging grease and oil around. Possibly tho its just the CV grease over everything.

The rubber/plastic cap that goes over the spline shaft that the CV attaches to was off....and the joint seemed to be filled with a mix of grease and gear oil.

Torn boot. And possibly a leaking side cover seal as above/\ /\.

Is this an easy fix??

First, remove the rear wheel then you might pressure wash or clean all the grease and oil off. Remove the affected axle, replace the boot that's torn and also the boot on the other end unless it was fairly new. Check the CV with the torn boot carefully for lack of grease.....galling, heat etc. as it might need to be replaced. Search on the details. Then you should look carefully behind the CV flange on the side cover and see if gear lube has leaked from the seal area. You will smell the sulfer smell if it is gear lube. If so replace the seal. GKN Lobro CV kits and boot kits are best but they cost a fair bit more than the "offshore" parts.
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerryB wrote:
I'm pulling a IRS trans out of a 70 bug. when I pulled the drivers side CV off at the trans, it appears the trans fluid has been leaking into the CV.

Over the years, the CV grease has broke down and gets kinda runny. if you have a leak in the side cover seal in back of the companion flange of the trans, there might be a mixture because of slinging grease and oil around. Possibly tho its just the CV grease over everything.

The rubber/plastic cap that goes over the spline shaft that the CV attaches to was off....and the joint seemed to be filled with a mix of grease and gear oil.

Torn boot. And possibly a leaking side cover seal as above/\ /\.

Is this an easy fix??

First, remove the rear wheel then you might pressure wash or clean all the grease and oil off. Remove the affected axle, replace the boot that's torn and also the boot on the other end unless it was fairly new. Check the CV with the torn boot carefully for lack of grease.....galling, heat etc. as it might need to be replaced. Search on the details. Then you should look carefully behind the CV flange on the side cover and see if gear lube has leaked from the seal area. You will smell the sulfer smell if it is gear lube. If so replace the seal. GKN Lobro CV kits and boot kits are best but they cost a fair bit more than the "offshore" parts.

Thanks JerryB

The bots were not torn....When I removed the drivers cv joint at the trans, there looks like a rubber disc, about the size of a quarter or half dollar. when I look at the passenger side, it looks like it was supposed to be on the spline shaft that holds the CV flange to the trans. I was wondering if that is what stops the trans fluid from leaking out between the flange and the spline shaft.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, that rubber disk is the seal. Just need to replace them, It is that simple Very Happy
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
yep, that rubber disk is the seal. Just need to replace them, It is that simple Very Happy

Always love it when its a simple fix.. Very Happy
Thanks Modok
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those caps are cheap - get a couple just in case you mess one up, but they just pop in.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: