Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Daul mufflers vs 4 into 1 quiet muffler
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Daul mufflers vs 4 into 1 quiet muffler Reply with quote

Ok ive built a 1679 motor with blasted and painted tins polished small pieces on motor the dilema is Im proud of the way that the engine turned out so the 4 into 1 will hide the motor but im told the I will lose power with the duals, but with a smaller cc motor will i even notice the difference?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a percentage of performance lost with dual "cannon" style exhaust. The smaller the power, the more noticable the loss.

When there is a lot of power, it is harder to notice some lost, unless you are wrenching out every bit of power all the time.

But, lots of people run them. They do not race them, they drive them for enjoyment. If you do not mind the small loss in power, run them. But, if you are going to run dual carbs, do not run them, the dual cannon exhaust makes it next to impossible to tune dual carbs.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also how much of a noise diferrence between the two styles? I work noon to midnight and do not want to piss my neighbors off at 1am with load ass exhaust.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have your cake AND eat it too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The noise level depends on how it is muffled. Dual cannons can be quite if they have baffels. 4 into 1 can be loud with a stinger and no baffel.

My '73 Thing has separated dual exhaust that is factory style, but has quite pack mufflers. It runs nice and quite.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
donbarnes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have liked the "balanced" look of duals since my first buggy in the eighties, but have gotten tired of the sound of glasspacks and the louder ones- So my rail has a pair of duals that have the glasspacks cut off and a pair of quieter "shorty" ovals turned up on their side and welded in place, interesting look and fairly quiet.. My new baja has heater boxes and Bugpack duals with the loud glasspacks cut off and 3-bolt stainless Hayabusa exhaust flanges welded on, then the OE Hayabusa aluminum bodied mufflers bolt right on, haven't heard them run yet though...
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Dunebuggy with a 1776 it ran a full 1/2 second slower in the 1/4 mile with duals exhaust then it did with a 4-1 header. Regardless I still love the look of duals and the throaty sound of them. I also had dual IDF's and never had any problems adjusting them with the dual exhaust. There are several different styles and brands of dual exhaust. There are also several different brands of dual carbs, so some combinations may have interference problems.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty much echoing what has been said. You will have a noticable power loss. And I have not had good luck baffling dual cannons, but if you drive it easy on your way home, it shouldnt be too noisy.

Big problem with most "quiet systems" is that they use a big muffler.

Heres a thread that may give you some ideas - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=456642&highlight=perfect+buggy+exhaust
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the set up Lo Cash John showed?
kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andk551 thats the problem I have with the quiet system ive put alot of time and energy into the look of my motor and dont want to cover it up with a big exhaust system but I cant have a loud ass exhaust that wakes my nieghbours up at 1am but also dont want to lose a performance.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go through the link I had posted above - some great ideas. I ended up with something like the second post on the link except used a medium length Supertrapp. Its actually pretty quiet unless you get on it.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: