Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Waterpump issues...maybe
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
adv rider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Waterpump issues...maybe Reply with quote

I think i am having issues with my 2.1 water pump-the pressed in tube for that goes to the oil cooler? hose. First the hose was leaking,so i tightened clamp. Continuing to leak-tightened clamp more.

Still leaking so closer inspection showed clamp was cutting into hose, replaced with a piece of 3/8 heater hose,new clamps. leaking again,tightened the clamps some more. Still leaking! Not wanting to cause the clamps to cut hose. I replace hose with factory specified hose- still leaking again. I removed hose and put some adhesive on metal tube and reinstalled hose, tightened securely-but not over tight. And still leaking!

I got a set of clamps from a local VW service shop today-raised edges so i can tighten more,without cutting hose. But i am wondering has anyone ever seen the tube that is pressed into waterpump leak? Like around the tube from pump body?
When i get home from work today, I plan to install the new clamps and pressure test the system. But was wondering about the pump leaking.

Thanks for the input. Smile
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never have seen that fitting leak..but it could.

Just be sure it is leaking there and not somewhere else.

Try using those dreaded OEM VW spring clamps. They do a good job of holding a coolant hose in place with no leaks. Don't damage the hoses/fittings and expand with the fittings when hot. They are a pain to get off and on. A special $36 spring clamp tool from Sears part number 9-47390 really helps.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
adv rider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: water pump...Not Reply with quote

Very Happy Got home and swapped out the 2 hose clamps, hooked up my handy snap-on pressure tester w/ adapter of course. Pumped her up to 14psi-no leak anymore Very Happy . So I let it sit to check for any other leaks-and boy I was prayin' to not have anything happen.

Some drips started in the middle at one of my stainless pipe to rubber hose clamps-tightened that one. And waited...and waited, seems good. So I go about do a little pressure bleeding of the system.
Opened rear heater bleed valve-only coolant, no air was heard escaping.Went to the front loosed rad. bleeder-heard a very brief hiss of air, then coolant. So I released the pressure, added a small amount of Starcool.and pumped it up again.let sit for 10 min or so,and repeated.

Ended up using about 1 quart of the Starbrite, Starcool, and I am happy about that. And on top of no visible leaks-I had no white smoke on start-up.

So I should have used the pressure tester from the beginning,made quick work of my problems-using correct clamps helped too.

Has anyone used the Starbrite Starcool?, synthetic coolant, etc. etc.but it is supposed to seal pinhole leaks. Maybe this is similar to the Subaru stuff? I have never seen the suby stuff myself,so when I saw this I figured why not. I already run Triumph oat coolant in the van.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: