Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

westy door panels
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: westy door panels Reply with quote

Hi Lind! Knew I'd get your attention. What did my front door panels look like on my 62 so34? Were they factory vw or birch paneling? I have none at the moment.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that they would be the grey fibreboard.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hella Bro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your camper came with the grey board. Sorry Crofty I wanted to see my name on there to break up your streak!
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I have a slight warped set of Sewfine door panels in my camper. I'm seriously considering going over to Home Depot and getting enough thin panelling to make some new ones. I do have the original kick panels, though.

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, its grey hardboard like any other commercial model.

Clara Williams makes excellent repros of the front door panels, kick panels and cab roof inserts. she can be contacted at:
[email protected]

for the roof paneling and side paneling in the cargo area, Jim Phillips has found the right Limba wood in the right sizes after years of searching, he can be contacted at:
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hella Bro wrote:
Your camper came with the grey board. Sorry Crofty I wanted to see my name on there to break up your streak!

Wolfsburg West has them for around $50.00, no holes though. Chug, chug, chug!!!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Thanks for the info. As nice as the camper interior is on the westys I thought for sure they would have upgraded the cab interior too. Plain old grey it is then.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: westy door panels Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
Hi Lind! Knew I'd get your attention. What did my front door panels look like on my 62 so34? Were they factory vw or birch paneling? I have none at the moment.

Hi Volksaddict,
The 1962-63 SO-34s we have seen had the same material for the front doors and the cargo doors. It is a light colored wood look formica.
Eric&Barb
Flipseat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my 61 SO-34 (stamped SO-23 though), the front door panels were wood like the other interior panels. They were badly deteriorated though, thanks to leaky seals, and I replaced them with grey 'commercial' panels. I would have made copies, but the bottom half was gone Sad I'm convinced that they were original.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipseat wrote:
When I got my 61 SO-34 (stamped SO-23 though), the front door panels were wood like the other interior panels. They were badly deteriorated though, thanks to leaky seals, and I replaced them with grey 'commercial' panels. I would have made copies, but the bottom half was gone Sad I'm convinced that they were original.

Hi Flipseat,
What little we have seen of the 1961s they did seem to come with wood paneling on the doors. All you need to do is copy the grey commercial panels you have onto Baltic Birch.
Eric&Barb
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The panels Clara makes fit well and are well made. I installed a set of door, kick and roof panels in a 61 panel and was impressed with them. The price was right as well!
Flipseat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Flipseat wrote:

Hi Flipseat,
What little we have seen of the 1961s they did seem to come with wood paneling on the doors. All you need to do is copy the grey commercial panels you have onto Baltic Birch.
Eric&Barb

I will eventually make copies, but I'm not really thrilled with the fit of the aftermarket grey panels. They don't line up to the "ribs" or raised sections of the door as nicely as I would like, although they are decent. I didn't put a vapor barrier on my first set, and they warped to hell and pulled themselves from the screws! The 2nd set I lined quite well, and they've warped just slightly over the summer, not anywhere near as bad as the other set. I will eventually make a set of birch panels that line up the the ribs perfectly even if it takes me a few days to sand them down to just the way I want them. I need to find a varnish that matches the aged original panels as I replaced the center section of my headliner, the long drivers panel, and the cargo door panels with birch already as the originals were falling apart/gone.
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little more evidence that the early flipseats had wood door panels - the interior woodwork looks too nice on this one for them not to be OG...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I doubt if it's a '60 however, too bad about the roof... This one is in the classifieds now, and I realize the seller isn't always 100% accurate on his descriptions, but hey - at least it's not a double door, right?

I wonder if this one will go to Oregon?
Stitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like the new panels out there being sold , seemed like most of them start to sag/warp within the 1st 6mo. of use. I used some old ones as tamplates and went to Home Depot and bought 1/8" Hardboard. After I cut them out I sanded them ( including the edges) and then sprayed them in primer.Next... to get the "similar look" of the originals , I used the "hammered look" spray paint. That really looks like shit until the next step ...spray painting them grey. Then they looked SWEET! They are SOLID and look great! I did the ones above my head too. Wink

Click to view image (If you have to ask....you don't know... )
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got some hardboard panels cut out and wanted some opinions on the paint color. does anyone have a favorite color that they thought was close to the og color? would it be better to take my og panel and just match it up as close as possible at home depot? do you prefer a roller or a spray can for the paint?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 62 SO-34 came with either:

grey fibreboard
birch wood ply
or a wood grained Getalit laminate on a board.

Seeing as so few of these in original condition are around, I'd think you can choose which ever of the above you like, and it'd have a fair chance of being correct. Of course, the correct laminate would be really hard to find, so picking one of the other two options would get your camper tidy quicker..
Stitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abeed wrote:
i got some hardboard panels cut out and wanted some opinions on the paint color. does anyone have a favorite color that they thought was close to the og color? would it be better to take my og panel and just match it up as close as possible at home depot? do you prefer a roller or a spray can for the paint?

I was able to match it pretty close at the Depot with the in stock grey Wink
I would choose these over the repro sag in 6mo. ones anyday!

Click to view image (If you have to ask....you don't know... )
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stitch wrote:
abeed wrote:

I was able to match it pretty close at the Depot with the in stock grey Wink
I would choose these over the repro sag in 6mo. ones anyday!

Sorry if this is a simple question, but up until the other day, I had never seen a set of those door handles. Are they original for a Westy? I'm used to the larger ones being up front...
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny seeing this post, here it is 3 1/2 years later and I still haven't done the westy interior yet Sad
_monkey_
Samba Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germanpride wrote:
Sorry if this is a simple question, but up until the other day, I had never seen a set of those door handles. Are they original for a Westy? I'm used to the larger ones being up front...

Those look like the 67-only style handle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: