Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

Epic thread!
https://www.facebook.com/Bay-Area-VW-Owners-1464253410267781/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

Did a quick oil change at about 27460 miles going to change oil again in 50-100 miles for cold weather oil

Link

fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

Dude..I mean this in the nicest way..but you're lazy as shit,,
Level the bus
No love to the strainer? cleaning the only filtration of heart of the of the type1 motor?
"That's tight enough" 33 foot pounds for pre-71 engines,25lbs after that..manuals and torque wrenches are good things..
5 liter jugs are a major pain in the ass..brings up on the engine roof don't it?
Somewhere before the industrial revolution they invented funnels..
even before that..I'm guessing the era of the caveman someone decided it was a good idea to use some sort of fabric as "rag"
Not a bad thing to have lying around when dealing with messy fluids or checking levels of certain vitals
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

i guess you can buy me all that stuff if you have money for it. I couldn't move it to the other spot as thats my only spot in the driveway. However i don't have much cash, I don't have any rags ,i am sure it costs cash, and no i don't have a seal kit rt now. If you want to buy me a funnel that be nice. I am sure that costs money too, and yes I had just had enough cash to buy the 2 jugs of oil i needed to do one oil change now and one about 100 miles from now and yes i did order a seal kit it should get here by christmas i am sure of it..and yes i did need to drive today..and no am not lazy..
if you read the thread or watched any of my other videos you would know that..
the only question i have is are you driving your aircooled vw or drooling over it in the garage? and if your drooling over it in the garage well how about i stop by to drool over that sweet bay of your or that ghia too.. cheers erb.
thanks for the advice.. i'll get on that and try it differently.. in 100 miles oh wait only 74 miles now as i was just driving it.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

Comedy!

Popcorn
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

Folks your amazing keep the comments coming, any suggestions appreciated.

If you want to donate a few parts to improve the bus heh thanks too.
thanks
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

Clean oil is the objective, and you are there. Oil change snobs?? I've seen it all. I have over 400K miles on my 69 over the last 30 years of ownership and I checked the strainer maybe 3 times. I've used my friends shirt sleeve as a rag, oil I found at Goodwill, funnels made from newspaper ads,filed points,ran Bosch super spark plugs over 100K miles,built engines out of 3 dead ones and reused every gasket made. You get out and drive it, which is the whole point of owning a Bus. Well done!
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

Call it snobbery,anal,whatever..these are tough little motors but Cant subscribe to neglect and abuse..
Tell me how clean fresh oil is going to be sucked into the pickup tube with a strainer like this? You want this shit in your galleys?knock yourself out.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I eat red meat,drink beer and like fried eggs and bacon..I'm not sure of the conditions of my arteries, but if I could spend an extra 20 minutes cleaning them out like I could a VW Strainer why wouldn't I?
But I don't have to because my ACVWs get drooled over in my garage instead of driven
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

My jaw is on the ground. ON THE GROUND.

Is this the greatest trolling ever? Is this insane? What the hell is going on? This thread makes me question everything I thought I knew about everything.

I'm sorry, Erb. Your '69 is not worth $55,000. That's an insane price. The bus did turn out nicer than I thought it would.

I am confused, though. With all the work you've done on this bus, you cut some odd corners. You spilled more oil ON the engine than you got in the engine itself. And wiping the dipstick on the grass Shocked I don't know if I should laugh or cry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

made it with the bus out paddling recently in december almost unheard of here,
here i show you how you can clean the vinyl and how you can convert a deluxe fabric bus to a wood westy roof by installing westy headliner rails in it..

Link
[/youtube]
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

took off rear bumper on 71 recovered splash pans for this 69 not shown..

Link

vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

just got something new for this bus

Link

vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

paint looks ok after 4000miles..
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

Vova wrote:
Epic thread!

+1

I just read through the entire thread while having my Sunday bagel. I'm speechless.
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

thanks..
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

i couple buddys got together and got me a new interior for my bus for my birthday. thanks guys so the bus got a facelift now has a real 1969 westy interior and the bus is one year older as part of the family and i am too..aw!!

drool and just drove it wow does it go..
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

That was a nice gift, it looks good.
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

Thanks samba for birthday gift. If anyone needs to learn to drive a vw bus your welcome to email me and we'll go do it on the campground close by,
I need a cool stereo next if you have some stereo stuff email me want to make it boom
if you want to rent or borrow this bus for a trip email me
\
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

Are you going to paint your bumpers?
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

thought about painting them, not sure I kinda like the ratlook bumpers..
do you think i should chrome ones for it..
I have new white ones too that came with it..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 19

Jump to: