Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

If it were me, I would paint them the same color you have above the beltline on the bus.

This thread has been entertaining but I must say, the bus came out looking pretty darn good after the paint job.
74volksrodwv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

Shocked I've read 15 pages of this... Shocked

I honestly cant tell if this was just truly epic trolling or serious, but either way I need to step away and evaluate everything I thought I knew.
1973 beetle(deceased)
1967 13 window deluxe
1968 deluxe bus
1973 bus(sold)
1978 westfalia(deceased)
1979 deluxe westfalia(sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

I want to ad better heat. does anyone know where you can get accesory blower motors for the heater boxes the ones that go in between heater box and the stove pipe? \Also what is the best heater boxes for it, anyway to make the heater boxes work better as in -10celcius days the thing was just defrosting the window and barely heating the bus..maybe i just need new heater boxes? anyone have new heater boxes?
Also is there alternative to the propex heater that is only $100-$150 instead?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

The only way you're gonna get heat at that temp is to add a gas heater like a bn4.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
i think i speak for most of the forum when i say I don't even know how to respond. i think i feel bad for you and the bus, but congrats on making your dream come true, i guess?

i dunno, but you have been able to single handedly make the whole bay forum speechless....

About the funniest thing I've ever read here. Purple Bus

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

update--> recently put on a few miles went to niagra vw show and kw vw show with it and a couple cruise nights.
The westy interior is great..
Since i have this giant poptop whole any ideas on a bed or maybe cot to put up there..
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

haven't really updated this much yet, recent add-ons include a grateful dead sticker on the back instead of like gl or dl or whatever model it is it says grateful dead celebrating 50 years!
also got this really cool shifter you'll have to check it out next time you see it driving by..
Thanks to everyone for continuesly helping me wit htis bus have grateful weekend
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

thinking about painting it silver again...

Link

Link

made it to the vw cruise just like I said I would with my bus took 15 years but I got there..

determination is the key to success when everyone says no just keep trying.. and let them dream/..
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

This thread is gold... great reading material while I drink my coffee this Saturday morning!

Love the couch!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
This thread is gold...

even if it's gold spray paint Laughing Dancing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

vwuguy wrote:
made it to the vw cruise just like I said I would with my bus took 15 years but I got there..

way to go.

Link

vwuguy wrote:
determination is the key to success when everyone says no just keep trying.. and let them dream/..

dream on my friend, dream on.

Link

TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
This thread is gold...

Krylon from Kame apart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
vwuguy wrote:

way to go.

Link

vwuguy wrote:

dream on my friend, dream on.

Link
Regarding this bloke: He may not have much in the way of rhythm, but he sure can’t sing...... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
cmonSTART wrote:
This thread is gold...

Krylon from Kame apart.

I was thinking more along these lines

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

I was fine. Opened this up again with the whole turd won't flush mentality. Next thing I know its on again. Shocked Laughing Thanks for the AM laughs ya'all Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

On sunday was at the june jitter bug with the bus in niagra falls, wow what a great show that was and the ride there was fun. At 7am i was at the tims on lundys lane pull in and there was two other busses parked there a 78 and a 76 i think, it was nice to stop grab a coffee and check out some preshow busses..I mean I never see busses at the tims at home except mine.. a rare sight indeed.
As I pulled into firemans park there was a line up of beautiful vw's of all kinds. From ratlook to stock to highly modified you were able to see it all there. Well, waiting in the que for entry driving my vw bus i slowly kreeped to the register tent in front of me was a very lowered bug , I to the tent and front then drove my bus into the vending area, with eager eyes to see the treasures available in the swapmeet area..man I must have checked those parts out so many times...The swapmeet area you had drive around a huge building then go into this huge feild and there was a giant swap. I drove my bus about to get to one end to the other end of the swap, some cool items i spotted were some semaphores, some early bay bumpers, some late bay interior parts, oval window bus parts and more as i slowly checked out each swapmeet setup. It was a very sunny hot day, I slowly drove my way to meet myfriends swap spot and help setup the booth. I tried swapping a few pieces and in the end I was able to swap a few parts and get a new muffler for the bus thanks it will be on there shortly. single quiet pack means loud not quiet.. Many folks were at the show chilled out and chatted to quite a few people and in general it was a really nice sunny day to see some excellent vws

Some of the highlights of the day were seeing my friends 72 bus he just completed and just meeting everyone and seeing good people, thanks for popping by are swap booth, and I thank everyone for helping keep the bus going so i can make it there. I hope you have a great summer see you at the next vw event!
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

I think being a vw driver should be determination and a dream to drive your car again in no matter what shape it is. You can restore it even if it is rusted beyond belief. The reward of repairing something everyone says is not fixable is that in itself as you get to enjoy a life you missed all those years it wasn't driving and you get a new respect for yourself..and you get to prove them wrong. You get to see things no one else gets to enjoy and enjoy a life with no limits..no bounderies only forward to the next challenge.
and I had the bus for sale several times between fixing it and driving it and about 12,000 people came to look at it to buy it and said there is no way you will ever drive that again..I can prove this with my Kijiji hit count on it. Like I think Henry ford said I proved them wrong if you think you can do it it is possible. The only sad thing is that I never fixed the other bus.. too..
and now that $1500 parts bus would be worth a lot more..

I guess your eating your thoughts now and rethinking your life as the impossible is possible here on the samba just look at the split bus thread..
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

Don’t give up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

I want the “ prove them wrong video” please...skills and I need it in Betamax, though
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: just rescued this 68 walkthru westfalia is it worth restorin Reply with quote

took a few pics looks good fall 2018

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 19

Jump to: