Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WSOLAR 100 watt foldable kit from SolarBlvd
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scruffyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: So far so good Reply with quote

I've had the unit set up in the window of my apartment and it's been charging up an SLA battery. Not ideal conditions but I'm surprised and the output given the orientation of the panel, sitting behind double-paned windows, etc. I don't have an ammeter hooked up, just a voltmeter reading battery voltage. I've been checking where the charge controller cuts off the charge and when it disconnects the load.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked a local supplier with a similar product. Though his web page shows only the 100/120 Watt folding panels as sold out, all his 80 Watt folding panels are gone too. Sad

(though 80 Watts may be too little even if used only with only a TF49 and 100 AH battery)

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
BetaVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ADJUSTABLE ANGLE STEEL FRAME SOLAR PANEL MOUNTING KIT WALL ROOF OR GROUND MOUNT

Will look into that. Thanks!
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BetaVan wrote:
Looks great. Since I am lucky enough (or sometimes not) to live in the SF Bay area, we've got tons of solar suppliers around. Just picked up a 100 watt panel yesterday for $120. I already had a charge controller and wire, so I am set. I'll keep it in the back, as it fits perfectly on top of the cushion. I was hoping to roof mount it, but with having a Yakima Skybox and some sort of canoe,kayak, or surfboard combo on top, there's just too much shadowing going on.

The last thing I need to construct is a mount to angle to the sun and I'll be good to go. Solar rocks!

ADJUSTABLE ANGLE STEEL FRAME SOLAR PANEL MOUNTING KIT WALL ROOF OR GROUND MOUNT

price: US $12.99 for a pair
Shipping: US $8.98
Quantity: 4 Available
Item number: 400299768998 Blue Bay Bus Ebay- this is all you need, I have two of these on 85 watt panels on my vans. Great price. Works good for mobile mounting. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.

Last edited by joseph928 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the response I got from Solarblvd after an inquiry:

They sold out in one week - we should have more next month. Sorry about the inconvinience. =(

Prashant Shewa

http://www.solarblvd.com
BetaVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. Since I am lucky enough (or sometimes not) to live in the SF Bay area, we've got tons of solar suppliers around. Just picked up a 100 watt panel yesterday for $120. I already had a charge controller and wire, so I am set. I'll keep it in the back, as it fits perfectly on top of the cushion. I was hoping to roof mount it, but with having a Yakima Skybox and some sort of canoe,kayak, or surfboard combo on top, there's just too much shadowing going on.

The last thing I need to construct is a mount to angle to the sun and I'll be good to go. Solar rocks!
WestiCoast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Photos Posted Reply with quote

scruffy wrote:
I'm not all that computer savvy when it comes to uploading pics to a particular forum, haven't got that much practice yet but I did manage to get photos of the Folding Solar Panel Kit uploaded to my gallery

FTFY

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

adv rider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Solar kit Reply with quote

Looking forward to hearing about the kit's performance! This is on my short list of future upgrades Smile
scruffyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Oh Well... Reply with quote

Hopefully they're just out of them for now and dropped them from the site temporarily. Oh yeah that's right... That Thing In The Desert What's it called? Flaming Humanoid? Burning Body? It's coming up when? THAT'S where they all went!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at those last week but didn't pull the trigger. Great price. They may have sold out of them. Wish I had bought one.

http://www.solarblvd.com/Solar-Panels-&-Systems-12-Volt-Solar-Kits/c1_272/index.html
scruffyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Photos Posted Reply with quote

I'm not all that computer savvy when it comes to uploading pics to a particular forum, haven't got that much practice yet but I did manage to get photos of the Folding Solar Panel Kit uploaded to my gallery. Hopefully someone can make out this particular bit of gear and find it again
NC Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwrDDMFxwjg
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea.

Is it something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Instapark-PowerBox-Fold-n-Go...m_sbs_lg_1

Searching 100W folding panels for sale gets hits from Australian vendors. i.e.

http://www.lowenergydevelopments.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=98

Anyhow.... thanks for posting what you found. I'll be curious how it works out for you in real life!

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
scruffyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Sorry about that... Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
Looked at the site I ordered from, I couldn't find it again either! Sent them a message asking about the unit and I'm awaiting a reply. It's really odd... I just got it yesterday. I'll re-post when I have more info.

Again, Sorry guys
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pix are worth 1000 posts.
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find any mention of a folding 100W panel kit anywhere on the site. Can you post a link to what you got?

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see it, cheap !
scruffyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: WSOLAR 100 watt foldable kit from SolarBlvd Reply with quote

Just received my WSOLAR 100watt foldable solar panel kit from SolarBlvd (www.solarblvd.com)

The unit arrived within 3 days of ordering in good shape with more than adequate packing. The unit folds nicely and latches securely. The carry handle seems beefy enough. The legs appear kind of spindly but just have to wait and see. They do seem to aim the panel at the correct angle. The whole thing comes with a pretty decent carry bag. It *should* fit up in the upper berth, haven't stuffed it up there yet. Also haven't had a chance to really give the thing a work-out yet but early evaluation looks promising.

Some interesting features;

10 AMP charge controller included and mounted to the back of unit

Hook up wiring including 15' of lead-in wire, 1 set battery clamps, 1 cigarette lighter (or power port for the non smokers) adapter

Charge controller shows battery voltage with 3 LED's, charge indicator, load indicator LED's

Controller will cut power to load if battery voltage drops below a certain point.

At just under $200 including shipping it's a pretty impressive set-up IMHO

*NOTE* be SURE and check the polarity on the battery output pigtail coming off the charge controller, mine was color-coded and hooked up improperly. No big deal, I just slipped some heat-shrink tubing of the PROPER color over the existing leads and re-attached.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: