Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

must watch video for newbeeees
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheHippieVanMan wrote:

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it Wink

We really need enough people "doing it" to keep this hobby alive. If not enough people "do it" the parts manufacturers and vendor will go find something more lucrative to do and the game will be over. Crying or Very sad

I know in our touristy town the number of people driving Bays has probably decreased by 80% over the last 5 years. No one seems to be willing to put any money into an older car anymore, I have seen vehicles (non ACVW) in very serviceable condition that have been hauled off for need of a new battery or something similar in degree.

My brother inlaw was going to scrap his Ford Bronco over a wheel alignment. For reasons I won't go into here my wife, daughter, and two nieces were going to take a 300 mile trip in the Bronco (my Bay was down for exhaust work Crying or Very sad ) and I protested that it was unsafe to drive the Bronco because of the condition of the tires, the local tire shop wouldn't even rotate them they were worn so funny. Over protest that I was wasting my time I did a 40 minute home wheel alignment followed by swapped on the spare and another used tire I had lying about and sent my wife and companions on their way.

My brother inlaw was quite shocked that I had "fixed" the unfixable car he was going to scrap for zero dollars out of pocket. As a result he bought a new set of tires all around and he, my wife, and his daughters just took a 2000 mile trip in the same vehicle that months earlier was destined for a quick trip to the crusher.

I don't even really have a clue what a new car costs these days. My old rigs run cheap and dependable, that is all I need to know.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would swear Busdaddy authored that! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
SmokeyJoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you prepared to be covered in oil and grease for much of your life?

Because every simple maintnence task requires that you drop the motor, fix something and put it back in.

My career choice already beat my bus to the punch. Not every task lol I can change a tire, change a fuse, and change wiper blades. ok I doubt I would be as happy fixing everything in the car.

wanted parts: jalousie windows, bumper over riders, window seal set (all), vw emblem for hatch, fog light, and interior sliding door handle

"We are special, You and I sit between control and freedom , bending the boundries without reprocussions..." - My brother from another mother Cal.
ta33ers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still can't stop laughing. Last week I thought hell every time I go under my van I mean bus I get all greasy from the torn CV boots so I'll just change them out, yeah right $300 dollars later I'm waiting for the new CV joints to arrive. I never thought owning a VW Bus could be so much fun!
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't even really have a clue what a new car costs these days. My old rigs run cheap and dependable, that is all I need to know.

If you are looking for a reliable used car for a long commute to work ( 40 miles one way ) there is nothing worth looking at for less than $10,000.

I paid $75 for my first car, a '61 Corvair. Now I pay more than that for a tank of gas.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a way you can own a bus and never worry about it breaking down on the way and is cheaper than you think.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy [img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: