Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Side Tent Mounting on Eurovan
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Side Tent Mounting on Eurovan Reply with quote

I have a '99 Eurovan Westy. I recently got a side tent. My tent has a flap that is suppose to attach to the roof, but since a Westy doesn't have a rain gutter, I'm lacking a place to anchor that flap. I found these: http://www.busdepot.com/a9014 but wondering what my other options might be. There's no picture so it's hard to know whether I'd like them or not. I do like the description of "No driling" though!

What's everyone else using?

And just because everyone likes pictures. Here's an example of my tent set up. Thanks for any feedback!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kernewek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice van �� On this side of the Atlantic almost everyone uses a Reimo Multirail to attach their awnings. They're tailor made for the T4 Eurovan. Don't know if they are available in the US, otherwise a strip of aluminum curved profile will do the job.

Craig
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tent! I have a really old version of the same thing! Make sure you stake it down. We just through tubs w/ stuff in them on the plastic part, which was fine until it was the end of our trip and all the food was gone and I must have moved the wrong one when it got really windy and the entire thing blew over. Into the Vanagon, got stuck on the bike rack and the wind kept blowing! LOL

Lucky for us, it was a really busy crowded private campsite where everyone was friends and they all came over to help us! Embarassed Then, since we were leaving the next day, we took it down! LOL

At any rate, I didn't attach it to the Vanagon, just put it beside the door and left it at that. Worked fine. Kept the bugs out even when the door was over b/c I've yet to finish a bug screen! LOL

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
josh_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Side Tent Mounting on Eurovan Reply with quote

rcowan wrote:
I found these: http://www.busdepot.com/a9014 but wondering what my other options might be. There's no picture so it's hard to know whether I'd like them or not. I do like the description of "No driling" though!
Those work, but they are nowhere near worth the price, and they do not keep the tent attachment pole away from your paint. There is a reason they don't show a picture like the other mounts they sell, and haven't bothered to add one for the at least 5 years they've sold them. You have to wonder why they have pics of all the other mounts, but none of these. They have at least dropped the price a bit from where it was when I bought mine.

All they are is three ~6" lengths of 1" webbing and three 1" plastic side release buckles. You unscrew the aluminum strip that holds your poptop canvas to the roof of the van, slide one end of each webbing strap under it, and screw the strip back down. Then you loop the other end of the webbing around the the horizontal tent or awning pole and attach it to itself with the buckles. It's about $2 worth of materials at any craft store, and you could probably make it work without a sewing machine. The only part that requires thought is making sure the straps are short enough that they don't hang out from under the poptop when it is down.

I promise when I install the '01 poptop lift struts in my '99 I'll finally take some pics and measurements of these. Actually, I'll probably pull them and post them for sale along with my Kelty Carport to help fund a new Shady Boy.
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

Kernewek- The tent is a Reimo so that makes sense that their multirail would work well. I haven't been able to find one over here though and honestly, I'm not in love with drilling holes and having something outside of the poptop that I can see all the time.

tam_shops- You are a couple weeks too late with the warning of staking it down well! Embarassed I left the van/tent and when I came back the tent was upside down on the OTHER side of the van! I was super scared to even look but I got away with two little scratches on the tailgate that polished out! Not sure how it got to the other side of the van but I'd like to know it's path!

josh_w- Thank you! That's exactly the information I needed. I thought it was odd to not have pictures. I asked Bus Depot for some but I haven't gotten anything yet. I'd love to see some pictures when you take them..... I'm also curious about the poptop lift struts.... Do you have to change out the whole frame or just add lift struts. That would be a welcomed addition!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Side Tent Mounting on Eurovan Reply with quote

rcowan wrote:
My tent has a flap that is suppose to attach to the roof, but since a Westy doesn't have a rain gutter, I'm lacking a place to anchor that flap. I found these: http://www.busdepot.com/a9014 but wondering what my other options might be.

I'd give big magnets a try (rubber coated for all-weather usage), such as: http://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Wreath-Hanger--Whit...ath+hanger . True Value Hardware usually has these types of things, if you want to find something local.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
josh_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcowan wrote:
I'm also curious about the poptop lift struts.... Do you have to change out the whole frame or just add lift struts.
I'll let you know when I figure it out. Wink I'm in the middle of trying to close the sale of my house and find a new one, plus packing for the move, so it will probably be a couple months before the dust clears and I can play with the van again.
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like magnets! I'll have to give that a try!
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus Depot got back to me. They described it just as Josh_w had..... except for the $2 at any craft store part. Smile
emagin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Side Tent Mounting on Eurovan Reply with quote

I used a Kelty Ridgeway Canopy with mostly netting on the sides.
It holds up in wind pretty well and gives me a ton of space for my Kitchen and outdoor sleeping.

It's not a perfect 'dock' to the van, but I get it real close and that works well enough for me.

On the back I used two Target shower curtains ($12 total) with sailing canvas snaps to attach to the existing buttons in my back door. With tent stakes at the bottom, this creates a perfect shower / compost toilet area.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: