Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Idle adjust on 34 PICT-3 FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect timing for this thread. I just got a new 34-3 for my 1641. I had an old brosol 30/31 on it with jb weld on the "access hole" Think that kept blowing out. It was a three springer by the time I pulled it(who else has springs pulling the throttle back up?) Anyway, the power curve is great when driving, very smooth, no complaints at all. But it has some strange sucking noise that gets louder as the idle screw is turned out and lessens when screwed in. The idle is a little rough though. A bit low and not exactly even. I just adjusted the points, put on a new condensor, plugs went in with the new motor about 1900 miles ago. I turned the mixture screw out 1.5 turns, and the idle screw seems to have two settings, die, and low. I will print out this thread and try to adjust it again as time provides. Just wanted to post my own troubles and confusion with my 34-3.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mpribanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have had the engine die at stoplights. Just put this donor engine in. I have a 1600dp, 12V, 009 with new rotor,cap,points, plugs and wires. It is in my'58 single cab

My question is: Would running the 36hp air cleaner(runs from right to left and looks like an elbow)effect how the carb runs?

When I had it on the carb it seems the engine would die at idle. I just took it off and drove around the neighborhood and the engine doesn't die.

I'm thinking the original VW oil bath cleaner doesn't give the carb enough air. Does this sound plausable? Anyone running the oilbath air cleaner on a 34pic?

Thank in advance

https://vimeo.com/67661950
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VolkDubz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice post
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldndragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a engine with a stock 34 Pic carb that starts,runs and idles fine BUT sometimes the idle creeps up at a stop...not all the time like a vacuum leak would cause but sometimes?.. could this be the choke is not adjusted properly?
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldndragon wrote:
What about a engine with a stock 34 Pic carb that starts,runs and idles fine BUT sometimes the idle creeps up at a stop...not all the time like a vacuum leak would cause but sometimes?.. could this be the choke is not adjusted properly?

Could be the choke yes.... if the element is not installed correctly in the housing and catching the lever right the butterfly and choke might be allowed to bounce around and cause higher idle.

Also worn out throttle shaft... allows some air to get sucked in creating a small vac leak... a small amount of air coming in to the mixture can make the idle go up and or waver up and down at stops.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
memento
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a great big thanks for this thread! My car stopped idling. It ran great over the winter, but then it sat for April and most of May, and it stopped idling. It just dies. If I held the choke closed a bit, it ran nice.

So I searched for info on adjusting the idle, but nothing worked. On the first page of this thread, someone mentioned the jet on the RIGHT side of the carb. I pulled it and cleaned it with carb cleaner. Sprayed it in the jet until it came out the 4 small holes on the other side. Put the jet back in and it purrs like a kitten again!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No really, thank YOU for using search. Glad to hear your problem is solved.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
memento
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are few questions that I have that have not already been asked on here. Smile Even if this is a Bus section and I have a 74 super. same carb.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
gcan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See below - is there a reason the idle pilot jet isn't mentioned in any of the carb adjustment articles or carb adjustment sections in the manuals??
I ran across the below post and it made getting mine adjusted much easier??

Try taking out the " stationary idle pilot jet" ( brass screw in jet) on the right side of the carb just behind below the choke and see if there is a small piece of debris in the tiny hole in the end of it. tap it on a mirror or a lean piece of paper on the work bench.

At some point ( if it is used or rebuilt) somone could have " overtightened this jet" in the body of the carb and it will not idle worth a damn. after making sure it is not blocked... loosen it up a tad and run the engine... then turn it in and out ever so slightly... you may find a ' sweet spot ' where it runs much better and idle up high... if so then get some locktite and put it on the threads and set it to that spot and let the locktite set- up... then reaadjust the mixture etc. all over again.

llamas1 wrote:
This the idle pilot jet you're speaking of?
Yes, it is a rebuilt carb. And I have no idea if the electronic choke works.
I will try cleaning it up and see what happens.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wilfredo R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, this might be alittle off topic, but, i rebuilt my carb and cleaned it with carb cleaner and dryed it with compressed air. I installed it into my car, it works great while it idles. But when i put gas, it will stall and die. Can you guys help me solve this problem?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilfredo Rumingan wrote:
Hi guys, this might be alittle off topic, but, i rebuilt my carb and cleaned it with carb cleaner and dryed it with compressed air. I installed it into my car, it works great while it idles. But when i put gas, it will stall and die. Can you guys help me solve this problem?

Is the accelerator pump squirting? a nice stream out the "faucet shaped" discharge tube?

There are a couple of places( ball check valves in the carb body) you can get blockage in the circuit so either no fuel gets from the carb bowl to the accelerator diaphragm or won't go through the circuit when pumped by the diaphragm... or even just the discharge tube missing or clogged.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wilfredo R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed it, it was the.. i think accelerator pump screw? its a largest screw on the right side if facing it from the back of the car.

And for fixing the idle, is it only the Volume screw on the left side? or is there something else? its not idling great
Wilfredo R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, the screw thats on top of the Accelerator pump screw, its to the right of the auto choke
d_walküre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG!!! Thanks for everybody's input. I was having the same idle problem when warm, and it WAS the idle pilot jet! l loosened it up about a quarter turn today and had it purring like a kitten.

I went ahead and did the popular 34 Pict mod and closed the hole in the throttle butterfly and got the main jet drilled out to 130, thinking that this was the reason my carb wasn't playing well with my 009.

Thanks for thesamba forums!
millertimin31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thank you for this thread. I still have to try it and make sure it is the problem but it sounds like everyone here has the same problem I am having. SmileSmileSmileSmile
Blu67Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to the 30PICT 1 carb on my Beetle, these 34 PICT3's are a royal PITA!!! Sad I truly hate mine, and when I bought it, it had a faulty float. Since it was brand new, I didn't bother to take it apart, but after endless attempts to make it run right, I finally removed it and opened it up. That's when I discovered that the float was too big, and wouldn't ever come to the top. Rolling Eyes
Once I carefully filed just a bit of one corner of the float, and reassembled it, I was able to get it to work. Very Happy
I finally replaced it with an old, original, rebuilt Solex carb, and it has behaved much better, and my bus runs the way it should. Very Happy
Thus, if you can afford it, and can find one, do yourself, and your bus a favor and get a nice used, rebuilt Solex carb, and put your new, repro piece of junk in the "spare parts" box.
EODinert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread saved my life.

No, not really. But it did make my car idle.

Brosol 34 pict 3, switched from a 009 to a DVDA, now it runs and idles. Doesn't idle as smooth as I'd like, but I'm getting close.
stodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bocar 34pict on my bus which went on new about 7 + years ago has done about 30k with no problems (so they are'nt all lemons!) However about 2 months ago after running great for all that time it just would'nt idle completely out of the blue.

I changed points condensor, stripped carb off and rebuilt it once, still no good. played about stripped carb off again, really really made sure i blew everything through....bingo, works like a dream again.

Never found out what was actually wrong with it but must have been a bit of crud in there somewhere.

Regards stodge
VWMike311
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: new 34 pic 3 WAY TOO RICH Reply with quote

I was about to post a new thread here, when I came across this one. I recently acquired a 71 bus, not running, and I replaced the dist, and a new 34 pic 3 carb, and I can BARELY get it running, but when it does, it's literally shooting raw gas out the tail pipe.... Shocked
Any thoughts?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it's gas? Most cars dribble condensation when the exhaust system is cold.

Where was your new carb made? did you open it up and check the jet sizes and that they were tight as well as the float level before you installed it? Is the choke opening?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 23

Jump to: