Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bug Engine into Bus::: Mounting Ears Question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kazos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Bug Engine into Bus::: Mounting Ears Question Reply with quote

Heyall,

Someone has offered me a good deal on a ''71 bug engine to replace my toasted bus engine (same year). I was told that the mounting ears need to be the same, and I need some specifics on that so I can determine whether I can make use of this engine. Can someone please give me details on that? I'm not at all familiar with this, and am not present with either of the vehicles at the moment, so need something I can send to the seller. Another mechanic (out of town) told me that using an adapter kit is out of the question, as it's too complicated and unsafe.

Thanks for any info you can give!
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug Engine into Bus::: Mounting Ears Question Reply with quote

I have used adapters without issue.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug Engine into Bus::: Mounting Ears Question Reply with quote

the ears are the same on all VW engines. There are holes on the bottom near the oil pump that hold the mustache bars that are not present on most bug engines. Sometimes the spots are there and just need drilling and tapping. Sometimes a bug engine can have been rebuilt with a universal case so they will be there. If not, some people use adapters, some do not like that. Generally "good engines" are already in running cars. A "it was running when it came out of a car" engines are a crap shoot. In 5 years someone will sell your core engine as it was running when it came out of a bus unless it has holes in it from ventilating.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug Engine into Bus::: Mounting Ears Question Reply with quote

The three mounting holes are ideal, but new style adapters aren't the end of the world.

You should also consider the '71 power brake vacuum needs. A '71 bus engine would have used a dual part manifold with a 1/2" nipple coming up and out at a diagonal. You'll have to get really creative without it…

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bug Engine into Bus::: Mounting Ears Question Reply with quote

He should be able to use his intake with brake booster port off his toasted engine. But without photos of both engines it's hard to say exactly.
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bug Engine into Bus::: Mounting Ears Question Reply with quote

His signature says 70 Bus. 70 doesn't have the booster, right?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bug Engine into Bus::: Mounting Ears Question Reply with quote

Whoops. Just saw a lot of numbers and got confused!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bug Engine into Bus::: Mounting Ears Question Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Whoops. Just saw a lot of numbers and got confused!

That happens when you start thinking electric. What I want to know is where do you store the extension cord and how far can you go before it unplugs Laughing
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bug Engine into Bus::: Mounting Ears Question Reply with quote

FWIW, in 2013 I replaced my failing single port motor with a dual port from a 1971 Bug. It did not have the drilled bosses for the mustache bar. I used this adapter that fits over the oil pump. To date, no issues. YMMV

Purchased locally but looks like this kit: https://www.busdepot.com/0091480
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: