Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'74 Westy, diesel conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Westy, diesel conversion Reply with quote

Found this tonight. ..

http://thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/going-tdi-anyone-with-knowledge-to-help-smooth-way.42637/

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dawie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Westy, diesel conversion Reply with quote

How would adequate lubrication be provided to the crownwheel/pinion, seeing that when flipped, it's higher than gearing section?
Overfilling, or does it have pumped lubrication like some Porsches?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Westy, diesel conversion Reply with quote

dawie wrote:
How would adequate lubrication be provided to the crownwheel/pinion, seeing that when flipped, it's higher than gearing section?
Overfilling, or does it have pumped lubrication like some Porsches?

Flip a few drain trays and reaim the fluid if I'm not mistaken. Not totally sure with this model trans

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trevorbrady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Westy, diesel conversion Reply with quote

overfilling is the solution to keeping the gears oiled. It's been done plenty of times over here in Ireland (even more so in the UK) so it's well proven in hundreds of vans with thousands of miles.

one big stumbling block with the conversion is the CV angles. You can't mount the engine/trans too high as the CVs will bind up, you can't mount the assembly at a neutral CV angle as the sump will be too low so you have to work out a compromise between road clearance and CV angles. I'm going to look into the cost of Porsche 930 CVs to see if they are worth buying to allow a slightly higher engine position. Unless anyone has any better ideas Wink
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Westy, diesel conversion Reply with quote

Yes, the CVs was one area my friend didn't expect to have to change until he started working on it. I think he is going with the Porsche CVs.

Also, the shifter has to be sorted out for use in a Bus; that transmission is shifted from the side like a Vanagon. Also the clutch is hydraulically-operated.

It was marketed to me as a nearly bolt in option for a Vanagon, but that a Bus would need quite a bit more sorting.

All reasons I went with a regeared 091. However I'm very interested in seeing these things work for future options/upgrades.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
GfunkBus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Westy, diesel conversion Reply with quote

Sounds like it was a good looking conversion. Anywhere I can see some photos of it?

How did the 5spd swap work out? Need to look into that someday.

Cheers!!
It Runs! -- http://youtu.be/kT5hOtwiOgk
And drives! - https://youtu.be/rVkoAgeOop0
trevorbrady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Westy, diesel conversion Reply with quote

GfunkBus76 wrote:
Sounds like it was a good looking conversion. Anywhere I can see some photos of it?

How did the 5spd swap work out? Need to look into that someday.

Cheers!!

the photos can be seen if you click the links in the first post. I don't know why they don't display inline any more. Sad

Since the last update, the van has now had a TDI and 5-speed upgrade done. Basically the previous non-turbo diesel and 4-speed was dropped out and sold to another guy with a bay window bus. I installed it in his bus as part of the deal. I kept all the radiator and ducting setup in my bus as it works so well. TBH, it works even better now with the TDI, they run cooler than the non-turbo diesels.

I must update this thread with the highlights of the TDI upgrade Smile
trevorbrady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Westy, diesel conversion Reply with quote

fully detailed thread on the TDI conversion is here:

http://vwkd.co.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5499&sid=fbbe076f014c7bd0b781efe7d7ab85f1
GfunkBus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Westy, diesel conversion Reply with quote

More reading material! It's like Alice down the rabbit hole... find an interesting thread.... leads to another and another... I've got so many tabs open between work, home and my smartphone of all these amazing forum threads. LOL...

Thanks! Another tab to read through as able Smile).... Appreciate the documentation!!
It Runs! -- http://youtu.be/kT5hOtwiOgk
And drives! - https://youtu.be/rVkoAgeOop0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: