Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Contemplating a 1990 911 Convertible
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veedubfreak59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Contemplating a 1990 911 Convertible Reply with quote

What am I getting myself into with this particular year car. I'm told it has a few issues to look out for, but figured I'd ask the wider community. This car would be something that is being rebuilt after an insurance write off. I've seen the car and I'm not certain why it was written off.

Thoughts? Warnings? Rough price I should be looking for?
porsche tech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO the 964 was not Porsche's finest example. One critical issue was oil leaks (mostly where the cylinders meet the cylinder heads). Porsche's fix (back in the day when they were covered by warranty) was replacing the piston/cylinder set ($$$). The previous model (Carrera 84 to 88) and the later model (993 95 to 98) were much more desirable (again in my experience). I had 42 years as a tech/shop foreman at a Porsche dealership and most people I knew in the business would agree. Any way you go, Porsche is not an inexpensive car to drive.--Dave
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the good things about these cars is they have AC that actually works effectively, not like earlier models.
Porsche930dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to porsche tech. If you can afford it go with the 993. They are a little pricey but for good reason. The 964 is a red headed step-child that had engine problems. If I ever buy another P car it will be a 993 or a 1972 S (even pricier!).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: