Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Movin' on up (is there a 356 in your future)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Movin' on up (is there a 356 in your future) Reply with quote

Been talking to some Porsche 356 guys lately and they have a fear that as the 356 demographic continues to age that there will be less demand for 356s. Having been dealing with VWs for over 20 years and over the past few years having been lucky enough to find some Porsches I can afford, I told them that I suspect that many aircooled VW owners would like to get a 356 someday, its just a matter of waiting to earn enough money or trading up, just like most bus owners started as bug owners and then moved up to a splits, I can see, and have seen, many split bus owners also "moving up" to a 356 as values on splits have gone up. Just curious if others in the split world see themselves eventually getting a 356 down the road.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
OVIEDOAV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero urge for me on the 356, and I don't see that changing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buses 'n bikes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I think the 356's are just getting priced out of young folk's league. I'm 27 and very into them but they're just not out there at my price point.

They sure do seem to be an acquired taste as comments on Bring A Trailer et al always liken them to bathtubs on wheels and glorified bugs. Whatever, those same guys lose it over numbers matching US muscle cars, to each their own.

I came across a beautiful project 62 super 90 sunroof in a widower's garage this spring. Price went up astronomically more each time I'd visit. I think it was $75,000 last I checked. Engine is sitting in front of the car and the interior is dismantled. A bit optimistic I'd say.
UC 231 L345 628068

kombisutra wrote:
No it's not, Deluxes are the tempermental Liberaces that wear eye liner, sequins and tights. Laughing Wink
Shaun Murray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OVIEDOAV wrote:
Zero urge for me on the 356, and I don't see that changing.

x2! I'm a hopeless bus nut. If it doesn't have cargo doors or folding gates I don't want it. I don't think I would trade my rusty, beat-up split for a 356 if the I ever had a chance to, unless I could flip it for enough to buy 2 rusty splits Wink .
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only Porsche I have ever been interested in were the 550 spyder and a speedster
but honestly they are pretty far down on my list of cars I would like to own
there are several vw aircooled and some American cars ahead of them
plus the price of them would have to drop down a lot for me to ever buy one

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite the opposite.

I have a nice 356A. Great car, love driving it.

Absolutely HATE the 356 crowd, hate dealing with most of the people. Selling my 356 and moving "down" into more VWs.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only concern the old guard has about new blood, is maintaining a demand for these cars. Its an easy way to protect their investments.

I really like the idea of the 356 but in reality, I'm way too practical to ever own one.
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't own a Porsche. They own you.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy choice: both. No reason to have to choose. If you can afford a 356- any split bus you love is already afforded. Any consideration of your bus as a future Porsche commodity automatically places you out of the running of this thread...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

being a split bus owner i would not consider buying a 356 or any other porsche "moving up"

moving up from what?

just b/c a vehicle has a high asking price dosen't gauarantee real value. at least for me anyway. comparing a split bus to a 356 is like apples/oranges

would you say a bay window is an upgrade? alot of people in 1968 did

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to own a 356 and probably will someday but I wouldn't trade my bus for it. I believe a bus and a 356 are two completely different animals and are enjoyed in different ways. I enjoy camping out of my bus and don't think a 356 would be suitable for something like that. A 356 is a sports car and a bus is a work horse.

I wouldn't consider trading a bus for a 356 "trading up" maybe more like a midlife crisis. Lol

Dustin

62 og paint L469 type 1
61 og paint L31 DD panel type 2
64 heilite viscount tent trailer
71 sears clamshell trailer

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156

Last edited by Dustin B on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I get one with a subhatch and a tent?
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't call a 356 "a step up" i'd rather have an old Lancia or Alfa,i could get an Aurelia b20 GT for 356 money!

Plus i can do a lot more things with a bus than a 356,that in itself makes it worth more to me,its kind of sad when there only worried about their"investment"does that mean they paid too much for them? Confused

My build thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742279
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: 356 Reply with quote

I have to agree with wiggy, the Porsche crowd in general is incredibly snobbish and a very closed boys club. I know as I have owned a 67 912 for years and love the car do not care for the crowd.Vw folks will help in a heartbeat, try posting a question on the Porsche forum, see how long it takes for an answer/help you can just feel the eyes rolling from its members Rolling Eyes The 356 registry is even more a set of uptight assholes my two cents
66ratrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too small and "useless" for me.
But then again, I guess if you flipped it over you'd have a pimp-ass bath tub Very Happy

"ACWVs are like having a sick dog that has a 100 year life span and needs constant medical attention... that you ride to work daily."
-Brian

\Dancing Red Bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from a split bus to a 356..... now would that be a trade up, or actually a trade down Question Question

Last edited by tisius on Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deepseeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt call it movin up either, maybe movin over. Dan maybe your just a little bi- and havent come out of the 356 closet yet...lol Very Happy I have both and i find myself driving my split more. i look at my 356 as an investment and my splits as a passion, i do agree the split crowd is a lot more socially entertaining then the 356 crowd.

61' Double Cab-restored driver
91 SYNCRO
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes

I am a little surprised by the responses as I have lusted after a 356 (to varying degrees) since I got my first Beetle at 16.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deepseeman wrote:
I wouldnt call it movin up either, maybe movin over. Dan maybe your just a little bi- and havent come out of the 356 closet yet...lol Very Happy I have both and i find myself driving my split more. i look at my 356 as an investment and my splits as a passion, i do agree the split crowd is a lot more socially entertaining then the 356 crowd.

Guess I've been outed then. Guess I am looking at it from the perspective of how people tend to get exposed to new things through a hobby. Like most guys are happy to get any kind of split bus at first, but then before you know it they want a bullet nose bus, and then its a 15 window bullet, etc. I didn't know squat about 356s or 912s until I got into VWs and guess through the process of learning about air cooled German cars developed an appreciation for the cars and a liking of for their design. I am not saying a 356 is better than a bus, like someone else said, its apples and oranges, and by "moving up" I mean of course costs, though some models of buses are keeping pace with some 356 values.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always lusted after a 356A, and when I got it, it wasn't all that great. The only thing they are good for is flipping fodder Twisted Evil or to say, "I have a Porsche 356!"

For that category of car, I would rather have a lowlight Ghia @ 1/10 the price and worry.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: