Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me understand this noise and ball joint
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Help me understand this noise and ball joint Reply with quote

Hey all,

I finally made it to the "end of the world" (Ushuaia) but some of the problems I've been trying to ignore are catching up to me. I've had this clunking noise coming from the front passenger wheel when going over bumps and it's getting worse.

When I was with a mechanic two months ago in Chile we found that the lower ball joint was bad, so we replaced it with a new one (topran was the brand) that the mechanic had had as a spare but never used. Afterwards the sound was still there even with a "new" lower ball joint, new bearings, and we checked the UCA bushings and upper ball joint and all checked out. I started attributing it to my failing Fox shocks, especially since both front are leaking oil and doing pretty much nothing at this point (and I just noticed today one of the collars is broken).

Anyway, after finally finding a jack and some stands that were high enough to get the tires off the ground (my hi-lift was stolen in Mendoza) I lifted the van today, put a bar under the tire and moved it up and down. There was a far about of movement and I could finally reproduce the noise. The only part that I saw moving was the lower ball joint. Below are videos of the movement and noise.

My questions are, am I correct in assuming this is the lower ball joint that is bad? Is it normal to have a lower ball joint pretty much dead on arrival? I had checked for play on the new joint compared to the old one before we put it in and it seemed solid. I also trust the mechanic and know he didn't give me a nice looking used one.
It just doesn't make too much sense to me because I started hearing the sound again within a mile or two after we replaced it. Maybe it's still something else that's making the noise and the joint is another problem, but I could feel/see the movement in the joint and nothing else had any play.

So if anyone could let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree with this I'd appreciate it. I definitely need to try to find new shocks down here to hold me over until we get back to the States and I can rebuild the Fox ones, and my brother is coming next month to visit and can bring another ball joint, but we have about 1500 miles between here and where he's visiting us. Thankfully they're mostly paved roads.

Sound:

Link

Movement:

Link

11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me understand this noise and ball joint Reply with quote

Oof!
Thatís a crap situation to be in; but itís got to be replaced again.
Is that the only part moving?
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me understand this noise and ball joint Reply with quote

Yeah, it's the only thing moving as far as I can tell. I tried prying at the upper joint and it didn't budge. Bearings don't seem to be wiggling either.

Not sure if I'll be able to find a ball joint where I am so I might have to cross my fingers until Bariloche. I was told I could get shocks in Punta Arenas so I might go back there and at least get those. Guess I just got a lemon! Last thing I bought that was Topran brand was in Lima and that was dead on arrival as well (coolant tank cap).
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me understand this noise and ball joint Reply with quote

Looks like the new ones bad to me as well from here. Bummer.

Have you got a trip thread or pics posted anywhere? Would not mind following along...

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me understand this noise and ball joint Reply with quote

Well, looks like we'll just have to wing it for another 1500 miles or so and hope it doesn't fall apart! That is unless we find one in Punta Arenas, which I think is unlikely. Thanks for the input Smile

I do actually have a trip thread, though I'm horrible at updating it. I did, however, just update it and uploaded some pics. Here's the link: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=654559
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: