Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"FantomWorks"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Also, to get on topic from this thread hijack, I recall seeing some old Wheeler Dealer episodes years ago and I really liked them. It seems they once did a Vanagon build. This show was so much better than the current selection of crap I am sorry to see it get changed and broken.

But it also makes me even more glad to not pay for a bunch of useless TV channels. I like my antenna, and my internet capable TV.

Good idea, Quit humoring that guy. Laughing

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Also, to get on topic from this thread hijack, I recall seeing some old Wheeler Dealer episodes years ago and I really liked them. It seems they once did a Vanagon build. This show was so much better than the current selection of crap I am sorry to see it get changed and broken.

But it also makes me even more glad to not pay for a bunch of useless TV channels. I like my antenna, and my internet capable TV.

Good idea, Quit humoring that guy. Laughing

The thread was not hijacked. This all got started because of my comment that some of these shows show illegal stuff being done in regards to emission laws on the books. That's not a good idea and it can get someone selling a tampered car into trouble.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

aja8888 wrote:
So what is the best Velocity show out there now that Wheeler Dealers is going down the tubes?

The only reason I MIGHT say Chasing classic Cars is simply because it's a different format from everything else on that channel. Problem is, despite the fact that he tries to sell himself as a car aficionado, Wayne seems more like he is in it STRICTLY for the money, whereas Edd was in it for a true love of car mechanics and to inform and educate others.
I had been watching Mighty Car Mods on Youtube where that show got its start, but now Velocity has requisitioned that show too. And it's the same story--much better show when it was just Marty and Moog tooling around in their driveway with a miniscule budget, trying out different things with just a few different cars. Now it seems like every episode they are off in Japan or wherever buying another car to jazz up, that was not the original concept of this show at all. I'm sure this is a result of Velocity getting their greedy little paws on this show too.
The laziness of American car TV proved itself to me when MCM went up against Roadkill, and the MCM boys went all out cutting up welding together and completely redesigning a Subaru only to show up for the competition and see that all Roadkill had done is take an old Impala and drop some stupid 750 HP engine into it AND THAT WAS IT. And then the Roadkill guys tried to pawn it off as "wanting to stay true to the original clasic design of the Impala." Bullshit. It was a couple of lazy ass twats that couldn't be bothered to actually try. Surprised Velocity hasn't scooped up this show for their fake drama overproduced BS joke of a channel.

Only hope left for true quality car TV programming is whatever Edd decides to do for his new show.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

First show of the new season is on now.

They are going to completely restore a '66 vert that's been through a couple of crappy 'restos' in the last few years.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:

They are going to completely restore a '66 vert that's been through a couple of crappy 'restos' in the last few years.

I hope they mean restore means back to the way it came out of the factory. I hope it's not another misuse of the word restore, or antique, or classic!
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:

I hope they mean restore means back to the way it came out of the factory. I hope it's not another misuse of the word restore, or antique, or classic!

That was very hard to watch for me. I especially felt bad for the couple when they got the bill. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:

I hope it is metallic copper with purple flames and a 2.2 liter IDA screamer.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:

I'm no expert, but it appears it was done to stock specs. Or else PDC (pretty darn close).
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
Helfen wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:

That was very hard to watch for me. I especially felt bad for the couple when they got the bill. Rolling Eyes

was that a new episode? I can't stand the asshole owner....I don't follow the show at all but watched the bug one

they undercoated under the hood of the bug in the center, and did the same in the wheel wells....when they got it, both were body color....

the wipe of the tail pipes was a joke....

the "lacquer" paint for the Maserati was plain old ppg....

what was the bill for the vert? 48K? unreal.....I can't watch that show, as the owner is an asshole. my friend who owns a resto shop was doing turn key bugs for under 20K (and losing his ass) with cars that were rotted in 1/2 and couldn't get people to open their wallets.....I have no idea how this guy can get that kind of $$$ out of people.....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Again,

I can't even stomach "FantomWorks" with the stupid drama, a-hole owner, his stupid eye rolls and exasperated looks when previous work isn't up to "his" standard. It's simply unwatchable.

Clearly, Fantomworks high shop employee turnover indicates us viewers are not the only people who think he's an ahole.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
stale air wrote:
Helfen wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:

was that a new episode? I can't stand the asshole owner....I don't follow the show at all but watched the bug one

they undercoated under the hood of the bug in the center, and did the same in the wheel wells....when they got it, both were body color....

the wipe of the tail pipes was a joke....

the "lacquer" paint for the Maserati was plain old ppg....

what was the bill for the vert? 48K? unreal.....I can't watch that show, as the owner is an asshole. my friend who owns a resto shop was doing turn key bugs for under 20K (and losing his ass) with cars that were rotted in 1/2 and couldn't get people to open their wallets.....I have no idea how this guy can get that kind of $$$ out of people.....

Yeah, as far as I know, it was a new episode.

I noticed the undercoating as well, for a 48k bill they could have at least painted under the hood, and wheel wells. Shoot after all it was all fresh metal under there from the media blasting.

I agree with all of you, the owner is an A-hole. From the way he talks to his employees, and especially way he talks to his customers. Maybe people think that by him being an A-hole it must equal a passionate accurate resto for their vehicle. Obviously, not the case.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

that guy is one hell of a salesman. possiably started out as a used car sailsman. but the new black is orange or whatever it is.. is worse, a pile of comodeans with no clue.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Only hope left for true quality car TV programming is whatever Edd decides to do for his new show.

Edd is getting his own show? Thank God, because Mike is like fingernails on a blackboard.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
sb001 wrote:

Edd is getting his own show? Thank God, because Mike is like fingernails on a blackboard.

That would be great, Mike is totally unnecessary to make that show work.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
sb001 wrote:

The idea is that Edd is going to basically make his own show.. but he's not exactly sure what he's going to do yet. You can keep up with him on his youtube channel.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

hotsam wrote:
Relevant to this discussion..Edd China is leaving Wheeler Dealers:

http://jalopnik.com/edd-china-is-leaving-wheeler-dealers-because-velocity-w-1793498487

Umm.. WOW.

Link

not my take on Edd at all... but I wasn't there. The rift between Mike and Edd must have been way bigger than I thought.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:

If you ask me it just went through another one. I watched this episode with my wife and and both of our chins nearly fell on the floor. The owner asked for a showroom floor restoration. When they attached the body back to the pan/chassis you could clearly see that nothing was even touched on the chassis.

I remember he did another VW on the show for a young military guy that didn't end real well. I don't remember the specifics but as I recall it had something to do with the disc brakes.

I don't really watch the show very often. Dan for me is a hard person to tolerate.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
aja8888 wrote:
So what is the best Velocity show out there now that Wheeler Dealers is going down the tubes?

The only reason I MIGHT say Chasing classic Cars is simply because it's a different format from everything else on that channel. Problem is, despite the fact that he tries to sell himself as a car aficionado, Wayne seems more like he is in it STRICTLY for the money, whereas Edd was in it for a true love of car mechanics and to inform and educate others.
I had been watching Mighty Car Mods on Youtube where that show got its start, but now Velocity has requisitioned that show too. And it's the same story--much better show when it was just Marty and Moog tooling around in their driveway with a miniscule budget, trying out different things with just a few different cars. Now it seems like every episode they are off in Japan or wherever buying another car to jazz up, that was not the original concept of this show at all. I'm sure this is a result of Velocity getting their greedy little paws on this show too.
The laziness of American car TV proved itself to me when MCM went up against Roadkill, and the MCM boys went all out cutting up welding together and completely redesigning a Subaru only to show up for the competition and see that all Roadkill had done is take an old Impala and drop some stupid 750 HP engine into it AND THAT WAS IT. And then the Roadkill guys tried to pawn it off as "wanting to stay true to the original clasic design of the Impala." Bullshit. It was a couple of lazy ass twats that couldn't be bothered to actually try. Surprised Velocity hasn't scooped up this show for their fake drama overproduced BS joke of a channel.

Roadkill isnt what it used to be...

it went downhill after they tried to reach alaska... after that, it was less roadtrip, and more "how can we make sure we do not make it in time for X event"
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:

it went downhill after they tried to reach alaska... after that, it was less roadtrip, and more "how can we make sure we do not make it in time for X event"

Hey, it worked for a certain Brazilian brothel bus for 5 years.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

vwnutt wrote:

I don't really watch the show very often. Dan for me is a hard person to tolerate.

Clearly Dan's many ex-employees feel the same way. Talk about shop turnover. I can't watch the show. Dan is just unbearable and unwatchable.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: