Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"FantomWorks"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BG Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Im guessing "Diesel Brothers" lots of beards.And yes I had a friend in school get his hair caught in a lathe.Wasnt pretty
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

If you are looking for a more clinical show with no bearded personalities, Tech Garage is on Velocity on Sunday mornings at 8:30 EST.

More like Motorweek's Goss' Garage segment.
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Relevant to this discussion..Edd China is leaving Wheeler Dealers:

http://jalopnik.com/edd-china-is-leaving-wheeler-dealers-because-velocity-w-1793498487
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

hotsam wrote:

http://jalopnik.com/edd-china-is-leaving-wheeler-dealers-because-velocity-w-1793498487

Wow.. I hope the show tanks now that Ed is gone. He and his detailed work in the shop was the heart of the show. I like Mike in small doses but I'm simply shocked that Velocity screwed this working combo up so bad.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

As I said earlier in this thread, Wheeler Dealers was the ONLY decent car show left on this joke of a channel that tries to make every single car show into THE SAME SHOW. Not a show about fixing cars, but a show about fake drama, and outrageous production expenses that in WD's case, required first moving the show to CA, and then outsourcing almost everything that Edd used to do himself. If you read between the lines this is exactly what Edd is saying--he's just too decent a guy to call them out on it.

The fact that Wheeler Dealers started off as an 8 man production crew out of nowhere in Britain where they knew what people actually wanted to see in a car show, kept it being one of the best car shows on TV as long as they could, but once those f^&* tards at Velocity got hold of it it was straight downhill.

F^% you Velocity. :fist:

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Despite all that^, the worst thing about WD is Mike. If they could just feature Edd fixing cars and telling us about it we'd have the perfect car show.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

BG Brian wrote:
Im guessing "Diesel Brothers" lots of beards.And yes I had a friend in school get his hair caught in a lathe.Wasnt pretty

Diesel Brothers definately had an assortment of F*Ugly beard.

And the show itself... dunno... a pickup? ok cool...

next week... a pickup? okay i guess...

next week... a pickup? again? Stretched? again? Military upgrade? again?

Throw in the mix another raffle pickup, and you got the series.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
As I said earlier in this thread, Wheeler Dealers was the ONLY decent car show left on this joke of a channel that tries to make every single car show into THE SAME SHOW. Not a show about fixing cars, but a show about fake drama, and outrageous production expenses that in WD's case, required first moving the show to CA, and then outsourcing almost everything that Edd used to do himself. If you read between the lines this is exactly what Edd is saying--he's just too decent a guy to call them out on it.

The fact that Wheeler Dealers started off as an 8 man production crew out of nowhere in Britain where they knew what people actually wanted to see in a car show, kept it being one of the best car shows on TV as long as they could, but once those f^&* tards at Velocity got hold of it it was straight downhill.

F^% you Velocity. :fist:

I'll second that !! When Fox took over SPEED the same thing happened. They don't get it. Take a good formula and ruin it.
Over on the AACA forum you get the same comments about Velocity shows.

The radio industry formats are the same. Try listening to oldies stations these days. The 40's 50's early 60's songs are gone and the late 60's to the 90's only play a select type of songs. If you took for example the top 50 most popular songs of the year 1975 you might get one or two they are playing. It's like they left out all this history of popular music.

Last edited by Helfen on Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

they don't care about content. If the viewer number increase with drama, you can bet there will be more.
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

It's almost to the point where All Girls Garage is the best show they have.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
Despite all that^, the worst thing about WD is Mike. If they could just feature Edd fixing cars and telling us about it we'd have the perfect car show.

Well, hopefully there's a producer out there that recognizes the real appeal of Wheeler Dealers was Ed and his work in the shop. I'd love to see him reappear in his own show doing what we all love.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:

Well, hopefully there's a producer out there that recognizes the real appeal of Wheeler Dealers was Ed and his work in the shop. I'd love to see him reappear in his own show doing what we all love.

I'll agree that Edd is really what sells the show, but I think Mike's importance to the show is a bit underappreciated. The chemistry he had with Edd was terrific, and if you think about it, there wouldn't have been any cars to work on at all in the early days had Mike not been able to find decent fixer uppers with the miniscule budget they had (I think this is an important aspect of Mike's role that was lost in later seasons.) Yes the most entertaining part of the show was watching Edd "fiddle with the spanners" but don't shortchange Mike's contributions to the program.

1600 SP engine
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

hotsam wrote:
It's almost to the point where All Girls Garage is the best show they have.

That's a interesting show. Camera angle from high above, girls wearing low cut "T" shirts makes the ratings.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

OK, which one of you is responsible for the threats against Mike??

Link

1600 SP engine
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Just saw a Wheeler Dealer episode. 1973 RS Camaro, 350, 350. Was transformed into a 383 stroker. Most if not all emission equipment was eliminated.
It is illegal to tamper, remove, modify any vehicle that comes from the factory with exhaust and evaporative emission controls.
Not a good thing to show the public, public officials and general do gooders for many good reasons.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
Just saw a Wheeler Dealer episode. 1973 RS Camaro, 350, 350. Was transformed into a 383 stroker. Most if not all emission equipment was eliminated.
It is illegal to tamper, remove, modify any vehicle that comes from the factory with exhaust and evaporative emission controls.
Not a good thing to show the public, public officials and general do gooders for many good reasons.

That depends on where you live....
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

hotsam wrote:

Okay, where have I been that I missed this bit of gloom?! Shit.

Best car show on the air up to now (the prior Top Gear being a watchable option).

The suits have taken over and the dilution of actual car content will be fatal to the show. Mike was watchable and although I favored the Edd segments, the combo was sort of like the two sides of the viewer... part car searcher, part mechanic. I valued both.

The (former) integrity of the show and Edd in particular is why it was the best.

The closest they came to dishonesty is when:
(1) They left out the value of Edd's labor when calculating the "profit" on the job. They addressed this lately by at least listing the number of hours in addition to the parts/car costs.
(2) They often skipped the hours of cosmetic restoration that was not shown on the air. I was okay with this, since watching someone polish paint and chrome, or apply UV protectant, is neither educational nor interesting to watch.

These minor nits pale in comparison to the antics and fakery of other shows.

What started a few seasons ago as a U.S. segment seems to have turned into a regular occurrence. I got the impression the boys likes California and it seemed like the show was taking up a new permanent home here in the colonies. Was this also a Velocity doing? Part of their charm was the British and European angle, somewhat lost lately.

Velocity just checked this show out of my rotation. I predict it will die in another year or two.

All things must pass, as George sung.

So I'll have to keep an eye out for Edd's next adventure!
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Helfen wrote:

That depends on where you live....

ANYWHERE in the U.S.A. and it's on the books, as to whether or not it's enforced is another story. Sometimes it rears it's ugly on new registered owner time. Sometimes it's registering from state to state or in the case of AZ. it could be county to new county. When buying a post 1965 it's wise to ask for all the emission equipment the car came with if it is not on the vehicle you are buying. Cars in Ca. are not only under federal laws , but Ca. law. Even though Ca. cars with exhaust controls from 1966-1975 are not currently tested, Ca. law states they CAN BE brought back into testing at any time the Ca. Air Resources Board deems it necessary should the state have problems meeting it's future emission reduction or clean air standards.

Last edited by Helfen on Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

What started a few seasons ago as a U.S. segment seems to have turned into a regular occurrence. I got the impression the boys likes California and it seemed like the show was taking up a new permanent home here in the colonies. Was this also a Velocity doing? Part of their charm was the British and European angle, somewhat lost lately.

Exactly. When they first moved the show to CA a few seasons ago, I believe it was only half a season of cars they did there- and the other half of the season was still in Britain. They explained it as easier to do the show that way because the winters in Britain were so long they could get more cars done. In fact i think this season of the show had 18(!) cars, 9 in US and 9 in the UK.

But now, it appears that this was just a Velocity maneuver to get the show over here, and the 9 cars they did in the UK was just to finish up what they had started over there.

Either way the UK appeal of the show has been lost over the past couple of years, now it's just another ho hum American car show with miniscule air time deovted to showing actual car repair, and now we can expect to see the percentage drop even more.

God I can't stand what these a&*holes have done to this show.

1600 SP engine
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Either way the UK appeal of the show has been lost over the past couple of years, now it's just another ho hum American car show with miniscule air time deovted to showing actual car repair, and now we can expect to see the percentage drop even more.

God I can't stand what these a&*holes have done to this show.

Exactly! The European angle besides the tech approach is what made it different and better!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: