Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"FantomWorks"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

(1) They left out the value of Edd's labor when calculating the "profit" on the job. They addressed this lately by at least listing the number of hours in addition to the parts/car costs.

When the show started, this actually made sense. Edd was doing repairs that you could do in your driveway to cars that anyone could afford. He wasn't doing massive repairs. I don't think he was even using a lift for some of the early cars. Watch the 924 episode sometime to see what I mean.

In my opinion the show started to go off the rails when the budgets went up. The Bronco episode was a joke (fix the truck by buying another truck!) and the 1916 Cadillac (the final Edd episode) was well over $100k. The last episode I really enjoyed was the 1963 Corvair.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

I like the wonky 914 they bought that Ed had to pull the engine on.
camfella04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

A couple of shows out of Canada. Not sure if they air in the US.

http://www.history.ca/restoration-garage/episode-guide/

http://www.legendarymotorcar.com/lmc-tv/season-1.aspx
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

I just saw a Wheeler Dealer show on a Pontiac GTO. I think those boys should stick to imports.
The overheating problem on the Pontiac GTO was remedied by install a aluminum radiator, water pump ( wrong one) , thermostat. You don't need a aluminum radiator, you do need a proper pump.
The car came with A/C but the compressor and most of the goodies were in the trunk. Ed decides instead of using the proper GM A/C compressor to use a cheap aftermarket compressor. Guess what, those aftermarket GM replacement compressors do NOT have a oil sump, and Ed did not add a low pressure switch or a high pressure switch to compensate.
Worst of all Mike, on a road test finds the suspension loose, and Ed finds the rt side upper control A arm loose....it was loose and all the adjusting shims for camber caster fell out and were long gone! What does Ed do? Tightens up the nut/bolt A arm assy and that's it! No alignment, no shims. Read a book Ed.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksheime wrote:
Did you catch the part when they were assessing the damage on the 66 Beetle, Dan and the metal worker guy both agreed to NOT use aftermarket metal and stick with German metal. Then you see them using the black painted Chinese fender and apron for the actual repairs.

All new front suspension - $1000
chinese sheetmetal $200
Telling the VW owner he had to choose either disc brakes or dropped spindles to stay within the $8,000 budget - Priceless

I watched this show, and was true shocked by the way he treated that kid.
I would punched that asshole in the face, if he talked to me like that.
The brakes weren't correctly adjusted, and Dan's BS, proved he had no business near a VW.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Helfen wrote:
Just saw a Wheeler Dealer episode. 1973 RS Camaro, 350, 350. Was transformed into a 383 stroker. Most if not all emission equipment was eliminated.
It is illegal to tamper, remove, modify any vehicle that comes from the factory with exhaust and evaporative emission controls.
Not a good thing to show the public, public officials and general do gooders for many good reasons.

That depends on where you live....

And whether you give a shit.

Man I am glad I live in Idaho and not CA.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:
Helfen wrote:
Just saw a Wheeler Dealer episode. 1973 RS Camaro, 350, 350. Was transformed into a 383 stroker. Most if not all emission equipment was eliminated.
It is illegal to tamper, remove, modify any vehicle that comes from the factory with exhaust and evaporative emission controls.
Not a good thing to show the public, public officials and general do gooders for many good reasons.

It's a federal law, so say you living I Idaho take off all that stuff that helps make tailpipe emissions clean and sell the car to someone in Arizona which emission and visually test cars back to 1967 means there is more than just the owner coming back at you. You do like clean tailpipe emissions don't you?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:
Helfen wrote:

It's a federal law, so say you living I Idaho take off all that stuff that helps make tailpipe emissions clean and sell the car to someone in Arizona which emission and visually test cars back to 1967 means there is more than just the owner coming back at you. You do like clean tailpipe emissions don't you?

I am confident that my 87 Toyota with an aftermarket carb properly tuned is running as clean and more efficiently than the 260K mile Aisin carb with a giant pile of failing CA emissions control garbage connected. The parts to repair that failing pile of garbage of emission control are no longer available.

So would it be better to scrap the entire vehicle and use another giant pile of energy and mine another giant pile of steel, and of copper, and of silica, and rubber, and use many thousands of gallons of water, and many thousands of gallons of fuel, and many thousands of watts of electricity, to produce another vehicle that costs me 15 times as much as this one did (12 years and counting), all to get five miles more per gallon and make a little bit less carbon over it's intentionally shortened lifespan through planned obsolescence?

Not to me. I'll drive this fucker into the ground.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Helfen wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:
Helfen wrote:

I am confident that my 87 Toyota with an aftermarket carb properly tuned is running as clean and more efficiently than the 260K mile Aisin carb with a giant pile of failing CA emissions control garbage connected. The parts to repair that failing pile of garbage of emission control are no longer available.

So would it be better to scrap the entire vehicle and use another giant pile of energy and mine another giant pile of steel, and of copper, and of silica, and rubber, and use many thousands of gallons of water, and many thousands of gallons of fuel, and many thousands of watts of electricity, to produce another vehicle that costs me 15 times as much as this one did (12 years and counting), all to get five miles more per gallon and make a little bit less carbon over it's intentionally shortened lifespan through planned obsolescence?

I'm sure there are plenty of OE parts out there for your car. Don't take the easy way out. Don't know what Toyota you have , but I just found a re-man carb at Rock auto for you for a P/U. You can keep your car running clean and you don't have to scrap it. Just takes a little effort....if you care to have your car in compliance.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Helfen wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:
Helfen wrote:

I'm sure there are plenty of OE parts out there for your car. Don't take the easy way out. Don't know what Toyota you have , but I just found a re-man carb at Rock auto for you for a P/U. You can keep your car running clean and you don't have to scrap it. Just takes a little effort....if you care to have your car in compliance.

Do they also have the electronic air bleed control valve, the idle air control valve, the mixture control valve, or any other number of control valves and emissions devices run by miles of vacuum hoses for a part-of-one-year-only California carbureted 22R? Nope, I checked. That is when I dumped it all for a NEW, not remanufactured in China, a BRAND NEW WEBER that works perfectly. And it came from a Toyota specialty shop in the one and only California!

I really do not care about compliance. Not even a little. I care that my vehicles are well maintained, they run and drive as smoothly and safely as possible, and that they last a long time. An obscure 50 year old emissions rule doesn't mean a damn thing to me.

I am curious about something. Do you really think that any car built after 1965 should be completely stock or not be driven on public roads? Nobody should drive a blown 69 Chevelle with 500 HP? What about the guys on that wonderful youtube show Roadkill, that built a 69 (?) Camaro with over 700HP, but with completely electronic controlled tuneable fuel injection that also netted them 22 MPG on a long road trip?

You really think that Federal compliance is what matters?

You also ignored my statement about the true cost of building new cars over saving the old ones.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Didn't even know if you had a truck or not , just took a chance on that so I don't know if they had your carb.
As far as the law goes it is currant and relevant. I do know you don't care about this law. I just wonder how many other laws you don't care about. I think if you built a house today you would pull your hair out following code. I think you like to make your own rules if the law doesn't suit you.
It doesn't matter what I think concerning modifying cars from 1966 on because I have no control over the law. As far as the guys on TV goes, is when legislators see this kind of thing they make it harder on all of us. They make people like the kid down the street think he can do anything to his car. It's the same with the outlaw street racers on TV. Promoting street racing is bad news and putting a disclaimer on it still promotes the action. Yes I am human, I had a IHRA drag racing license since I was 14 and road raced up until a few years back, but I did street race...and I can see the danger, but I am human and was younger and foolish. Seen some people get hurt. We all grow up, well most of us especially those guys with their 7 second so called street cars.
Federal and state emissions standards and compliance really do matter when it comes to air pollution. If you took air samples from the L.A. basin in 1959 and compare them to this years levels you would see a dramatic drop in CO and HC levels and today there are millions more cars out there. The real paradox is the CO2 emissions, and it's hard to put CO2 into this equation like the environmentalist want to do because everybody makes CO2, all you have to do is exhale.
I didn't ignore your statement about building new cars and saving old ones because I already said you can make your car with effort and a good conscience comply. I would rather see your car or truck comply and survive than to be scrapped for sure.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

A Environmental concerns really don’t matter on these old cars, because there just aren't that many left, so there is no real impact.
B There is no real mechanism for Federal Compliance, and only a mechanism for Compliance in a hand full of States.
C Reach back for Compliance in California stops at 1976 Model year.
D No Car with a Carburetor ever passed California SMOG Tests after the first 5 to 7 years of ownership anyway.
E 22 MPG is awful! I know because my 17 year old Passat gets 21.9 MPG.
F Early 70's SMOG controls actually did more harm than good to the Environment.
G In California cars with OBD2 do not even get a sniff test anymore, only visual inspection for tampering (not Stock), and check the Computer for “Fault Codes”.
H It is a complete fantasy that keeping an old car on the road as a daily driver, is better for the environment than buying a new one.
I Emissions from cars have dropped exponentially every ten years since the 70’s
J The Assembly Process for building a new car is as regulated, and controlled as the cars emissions.
K In modern manufacturing you don’t buy waste, everything gets recycled, or shipped for sale.
L Nothing wrong with driving an old car, because there just aren't that many left, so there is no real impact.
M Nothing wrong with modifying an old car, because AGAIN there just aren't that many left, so there is no real impact.
N Nothing wrong with driving an old car, Just don’t get hit by a new Car or SUV!
O VW sold non-compliant cars for years, but will likely turn out to be an industry leader in electrification due to the Chinese.
P https://www.batterysolutions.com/recycling-information/how-are-batteries-recycled/
Q It’s money that matters, follow the money.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
A Environmental concerns really don’t matter on these old cars, because there just aren't that many left, so there is no real impact.
B There is no real mechanism for Federal Compliance, and only a mechanism for Compliance in a hand full of States.
C Reach back for Compliance in California stops at 1976 Model year.
D No Car with a Carburetor ever passed California SMOG Tests after the first 5 to 7 years of ownership anyway.
E 22 MPG is awful! I know because my 17 year old Passat gets 21.9 MPG.
F Early 70's SMOG controls actually did more harm than good to the Environment.
G In California cars with OBD2 do not even get a sniff test anymore, only visual inspection for tampering (not Stock), and check the Computer for “Fault Codes”.
H It is a complete fantasy that keeping an old car on the road as a daily driver, is better for the environment than buying a new one.
I Emissions from cars have dropped exponentially every ten years since the 70’s
J The Assembly Process for building a new car is as regulated, and controlled as the cars emissions.
K In modern manufacturing you don’t buy waste, everything gets recycled, or shipped for sale.
L Nothing wrong with driving an old car, because there just aren't that many left, so there is no real impact.
M Nothing wrong with modifying an old car, because AGAIN there just aren't that many left, so there is no real impact.
N Nothing wrong with driving an old car, Just don’t get hit by a new Car or SUV!
O VW sold non-compliant cars for years, but will likely turn out to be an industry leader in electrification due to the Chinese.
P https://www.batterysolutions.com/recycling-information/how-are-batteries-recycled/
Q It’s money that matters, follow the money.

A. False otherwise the government wouldn't be concerned, and just try to bring in a 1978 car into AZ or CA with the emission equipment removed.
B. Possibly, except you never know where a car might end up over a period of time.
C. California's law states that even though 1966-1975 cars are not tested that they must have their emission systems on the car and working. When CARB was asked why this was the law they said that those cars could be brought back into the testing system anytime ( no referendum, already on the law books ) incase California air quality should deem it necessary.
D. I have a 69 H-O Pontiac LeMans and a 76 Oldsmobile, both I bought new in Ca. and still have the cars. I have saved all the emission test for both cars up until the time I moved to AZ in. The Olds in particular I tested at
my company before I retired in 2006. A seven bag/mode EPA cert. test for 1976 cars and it passed no problems. That car now 41 years old @ 115,000 miles still has never had it's carb rebuilt. The original converter still does it's job. So that two cars accounted for.
E. N/A
F. Emission compliance for 72-74 cars was admittedly tough. Trying to make the engine clean entirely on the engine was hard to do. I know because I used to work in emissions at my company at the time. Tune the car one day, put it in the cold room overnight and the next day on the dyno would fail a EPA cert. test. But you had to admit even if they were a little out of tune say 1% Co, and 500PPM HC that was much better than 3,4,5 % Co and 900 PPM HC non emission cars were getting. after 1975 the cars got way better because we were able to tune the engines properly and let the catalytic converter do the clean up.
G. that's because the car is doing the testing for the tech. OBD2 cars never need to go to a smog station because the car tells the owner if it is out of compliance. It's just that the state doesn't trust the owner to fix the car is the reason for the stations because there are guys like cdennisq who disregard the law.
H. True
I True, but one thing more. On my Oldsmobile the very first smog test standards were not as strict as the last time I smog tested the car. That is unfair to change the rules as you go along and making a car pass something there was never a standard for. That was your government trying to legislate cars off the road.
J. agree
K true
L agree, as long as it is driven as it was manufactured
M agree as long as the car is pre 1966 because it's the law.
N N/O
O. TBD
P. N/O
Q. for sure
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:

As far as the law goes it is currant and relevant. I do know you don't care about this law. I just wonder how many other laws you don't care about. I think if you built a house today you would pull your hair out following code. I think you like to make your own rules if the law doesn't suit you.

This is some funny stuff. Thanks for the laugh. I'm off to go kick some puppies and maybe abuse a few old people. I am a law scofflaw after all. I did drive 60 in a 55 zone earlier today. Also, I have been a home builder for 20+ years. I know all too much about building codes and government overreach into peoples private property decisions.

BTW, I drive a 1987 Toyota 1/2 ton xtra cab long bed 2wd pickup. Just did an oil change tonight. Also lubed the new U-joints. The originals with 250K on them finally wore out. The new ones should last another 250K since I can lube them. The odo will hit 262K next week on my 65 mile round trip to and from our newest jobsite.

Or may be I should crush this polluting POS and buy a shiny new giant fucking truck for $50K so I can haul my tools to work. I also need to haul 4-5 cords of firewood per year. There is no way I could have done that for the last decade with my polluting POS Toyota 4 cylinder. Yes, I burn wood for heat. More pollution. I should just move to CA and join with the rank in file observant citizens.

HMMM... Think
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Also, to get on topic from this thread hijack, I recall seeing some old Wheeler Dealer episodes years ago and I really liked them. It seems they once did a Vanagon build. This show was so much better than the current selection of crap I am sorry to see it get changed and broken.

But it also makes me even more glad to not pay for a bunch of useless TV channels. I like my antenna, and my internet capable TV.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Helfen wrote:

This is some funny stuff. Thanks for the laugh. I'm off to go kick some puppies and maybe abuse a few old people. I am a law scofflaw after all. I did drive 60 in a 55 zone earlier today. Also, I have been a home builder for 20+ years. I know all too much about building codes and government overreach into peoples private property decisions.

BTW, I drive a 1987 Toyota 1/2 ton xtra cab long bed 2wd pickup. Just did an oil change tonight. Also lubed the new U-joints. The originals with 250K on them finally wore out. The new ones should last another 250K since I can lube them. The odo will hit 262K next week on my 65 mile round trip to and from our newest jobsite.

Or may be I should crush this polluting POS and buy a shiny new giant fucking truck for $50K so I can haul my tools to work. I also need to haul 4-5 cords of firewood per year. There is no way I could have done that for the last decade with my polluting POS Toyota 4 cylinder. Yes, I burn wood for heat. More pollution. I should just move to CA and join with the rank in file observant citizens.

HMMM... Think

Nice to know you can laugh at yourself. Wink
aja8888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

So what is the best Velocity show out there now that Wheeler Dealers is going down the tubes?
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

aja8888 wrote:
So what is the best Velocity show out there now that Wheeler Dealers is going down the tubes?

Chasing Classic Cars , without a doubt IMOP.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:

Nice to know you can laugh at internet trolls. Wink

Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Helfen wrote:

Nice to know you can laugh at internet trolls. Wink

Now, now, don't star taking peoples comments out of context.
What I said;
Nice to know you can laugh at yourself. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: