Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A modern radio that fits in late bay with underdash A/C
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: A modern radio that fits in late bay with underdash A/C Reply with quote

I wrote about this last night in my build thread , but wanted to post it in its own topic so people that need this solution can find it.

If you have a late bay with the type of underdash KCOOL Air Conditioner that uses accordion hoses to connect between the two sides, the short hose loops over the ashtray housing and this severely restricts the depth available for the radio. What I'm about to say ONLY applies to this configuration.

If you're thinking of installing a new(er) radio, you're 99% sure to run into a problem. Nearly all modern radios are about the same depth, and that depth will not fit in the available space.

Now, if you're bent on having a CD player in-dash, well good luck to you. There's simply not enough depth available. But, if you're willing to leap fully into the modern digital age (MP3s on USB or memory cards), there's an inexpensive solution that may be one of the shortest depth units out there. It's a Clarion FZ150 and it's only 3 1/4" deep. *Link to mfgr info* *Link to Amazon*

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Like any modern DIN radio it won't quite fit in the stock dash hole, but careful work with a dremel cutter on the dash opening can make for a perfect fit.

Yeah, I know ... you can always keep an old radio or blank plate in the dash and an iPhone/iPad/Android in the glove box. I present this as an excellent alternative.

[EDIT: fixed broken links]

Last edited by eche_bus on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link to the Clarion product is inoperative.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
The link to the Clarion product is inoperative.

Thanks for pointing that out!
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never knew anyone made a radio that size! Thanks for linking it. Looks like a deal - wonder if it sounds good?

>Edit>
Do you have a pic of it installed?
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type2much
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking radio. What are the wiring connections like, was that part easy or no?
LeeE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Months ago someone mentioned a similar sized radio. I bought it and liked it a lot; easy to install and very lightweight. The short size is great.

My mother needed a new one in her Honda and wanted one with preset station buttons so I took it out of the Bus and gave it to her.

I did a search for radio in this forum and found it, so I just bought another from Advance Auto. (and even got a 30% discount)

Dual XR4110 Digital Media Receiver
Elvin_hr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my same radio in my VW van brands Denver. Best price here in Zagreb, Croatia.

eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
I never knew anyone made a radio that size! Thanks for linking it. Looks like a deal - wonder if it sounds good? Do you have a pic of it installed?

Yes. in my build thread Scroll down a little from there and you'll see it installed.
I only have it connected to the door speakers the bus came with so can't say what it's capable of sounding like, but it's rated at 40W x 4ch.

type2much wrote:
Nice looking radio. What are the wiring connections like, was that part easy or no?

It comes with only about 6" of wire coming out of two connectors, one for power, one for speakers. Built in fuse. Obviously the first thing I had to do was extend the wires. It's not any easier/harder than installing any other radio in a bus I'd think as there isn't a factory harness you can just plug into. The hard part is deciding where to tap into power/memory power/ground. I got lucky that the A/C relay provided connections for both powers.
LeeE wrote:
Dual XR4110 Digital Media Receiver

That looks like a less expensive alternative with a bit less output power. Dual didn't show that on their website, so might be last year's model (nothing wrong with that).
Elvin_hr wrote:
This is my same radio in my VW van brands Denver. Best price here in Zagreb, Croatia.

Yep, that looks like the same one alright. Never seen the "Denver" brand here in the USA.
type2much
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this radio also fit in a 69 bus without modification to the dash opening?

And was the dash opening stay the same from 68-79?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: