Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Excessive Endplay After 2 Years 35k miles
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Excessive Endplay After 2 Years 35k miles Reply with quote

OK, here is the story. Customer needed a rebuilt engine in a pinch, bought a local rebuilt engine, locked up within a week. Returned engine got another. Ran great for 2 years 35k miles. Leaking oil from rear main seal...I checked the endplay, massive. I wondered what shavings behind flywheel were from, flywheel is shaving down the engine case!!!! Anyway, nothing to do but reassemble with new main seal, customer was there to see the damage. I also checked rear main bearing which is now "wiggling" side to side in the engine case, no beuno.

Anyway, WTF is going on. Is everybody's align bore bars out of spec??? Motor came from a very reputable local shop.

Do Bug engines only last 35k?? I find that hard to believe.

Sorry for crappy photo, in the heat of battle, I only had my cell camera. But you can see the about 6-8" round area that the flywheel is shaving.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reputable shop or not....its obvious they arent checking everything when the assemble an engine....or they are getting a longblock from someone else. eitherway, with that much movement, its probably time to find another
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this an autostick car? Cam plug is in that way around.
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it is in a 1971 Bus.

2 things of note:

first engine locked up rear main bearing, flywheel one. After that, customer was instructed to never push clutch in while starting, or hold clutch in while at a stop sign/light. He has adhered very strictly to that policy.

2nd thing of note is that the t/o bearing is not dead center on the transmission shaft, and therefore not dead center on the clutch disc. It has been wearing out pressure plate collars (van has earlier transmission in it).

Replacement engine was built with different case, still align bored, but not the same case as the one that locked up. I'm assuming the builder set the endplay a little looser, say around .006", when the 2nd engine was built, to help prevent locking up that flywheel bearing. But now the bearing is wiggling side to side, basically only being held in by the dowel pin and not the crush of the engine case.
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to invent the wheel again. Its just one more severely out of balance rebuilt engine with stock or stockish parts. On top of that it has most likely run on the warm side.
The line bore could have been bad from the beginning, but IŽll bet that was not the main problem.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, did you check end-play on the second engine when it was installed?

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
Ian, did you check end-play on the second engine when it was installed?

Max

No, I did not. It was rebuilt, so I'm assuming the end-play was measured when the flywheel was installed. When I just changed the main seal, it did have three shims, but they were severely warped, as would be expected from the wear that is shown.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple things, just for clarity we're not talking about V8's. The 'rear main' bearing on a VW is the one nearest the pulley, not the one nearest the flywheel. That is the front main. If it's that far gone, either the engine is being abused or something is eating the bearing. I've seen cranks that weren't perfectly smooth where the thrust surface of the bearing rides, that would definitely reduce bearing life.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
It was rebuilt, so I'm assuming.............

If the bearing does not have .0015-.002 crush, then it wasn't right. Since nobody checked that then you will never know. The same is true of the balance.
.006" end play should not cause any problems, but the other two things surely can
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

back in the day type 1 engine daily driver busses beat their rear bearings loose about every 50,000 miles dependent on driver abuse...that's why they put type 4s into them...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: