Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

Syncrozilla wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wow! Just wow!

I had to quote the photo so I wouldn’t have to scroll back as far to keep looking at it Very Happy

Really beautiful work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

Syncrozilla wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sorry, I think this artwork needs to be on every page too….
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flares are factory 16" rubber flares. The postal flares are different than the 16' flares. They fit the stock wheel opening. The 16' flares cover up a trimmed or expanded wheel opening. The postal flares are only front wheel flares and never had a rear version.

There are 3 version of wheel opening flares that came on vans from the factory-

postal flares (front wheels only)
16" syncro flares (all four wheels)
Syncro tristar flares (all four wheels)

In my opinion a canvas slider sunroof would be cool on a regular doka but would kinda ruin a 4dr 16". I'd love to do a crazy full custom build with a audi v8 and sliding rag etc. but I wouldn't want to ruin a really rare truck to build it.

I only brazed the front roof joint because it's pretty easy to do and that's the way VW built the truck. I have no idea why they did it that way. I just put it back together the way it was made in the first place.

Quote:
I know you have a factory sunroof panel, but seeing this shot I have to say this would be the perfect vehicle for a canvas slider sunroof. Very Happy

And I have one. It would open the roof from about 6 inch shy of the gutters side to side and from above the driver's head to over the rear passengers heads. I don't have measurements off the top of my head but it's huge..and motorized. Checked...39 wide, 45 long.

I'm hording it now cause I'm too chicken to open up my roof which is in fine shape.

@Symcrozilla ,I see you brazed the roof joints. I just welded up a rust hole on my windshield frame and cursed the original brazing because of that zinc burning out of the brass...
So, why did you brazed it ? What's the advantage of brazing it ? I Tig welder up the thrust hole with small steel patch and 1/32 steel filler rod. Nothing warped and it wasn't too hard to do.
I'd just like to know the wisdom behind brazing. I'm sure there must be good reasons I'm ignorant of.

Awesome truck ! Nice work ! Looks like fun to me. I see the 356 there too, I used to own a ln intermeccanica as a daily only car in Seattle.[/quote]
Quote:

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts....yes I totally agree about using the original sunroof clip for the resto. I remember seeing one of those sunroofs you have in a clip for sale here, I passed on it just because I had no reason to cut the roof. I got the canvass one because it was just so big, motorized and in a van roof clip.

Really appreciate all these clean undercarriage pictures too, they are so useful if your planning some rust repair or something where you want to study the underside of things. So thank you for taking the time to share !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: