Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWEET, looking good. Cool

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronicity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful work Very Happy
________oo_oo
/ /__/___[_____\
I I======[]IIIII[]
()_)------()_)----)_)
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE the color of Tornado Red (had a MKIV R32 in T Red) so much that I painted a Corvette that color. I hope for your sake they have solved UV fading problems with that color. I sold my R32 at around 50K miles because of rising problems with color and the impasse at VW dealer in getting it resolved, my wife still hasn't forgiven me for selling her little "pocket rocket" Crying or Very sad
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kudos!

Now that I've made my decision on the color my next decision is power. I've done over 50 subie conversions and I really like them. If I could put a vvt 2.5 in I think I would but I want a CA legit ride.

I just scored a '03 Tdi jetta wagon for 300.00. The owner ran over a plastic bag in the road and it twisted around the crank pulley and took out the timing belt. I was thinking of one of Stephan's 1.8 kits or Tdi. I'm still undecided but the no smog (tdi) thing is pretty temping. I'm going to pull out the Tdi and start rebuilding it. Maybe a AWP car will fall in my lap Laughing

Happy new year everyone!
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had one of our Jeeps in for service at Mastercraft and Seth, being the gracious mechanic/host that he is, gave my Wife and I a look at the Doka (at our request) even though it was getting late in the day and they were closing up shop.
We were very impressed with amount of work put in and how beautiful the paint is (it is RED)!
If you know Seth, you feel and appreciate his passion so a tour through his shop is like living a dream and inspiring for those of us who love our Vans.
If you get a chance to see the work in progress I strongly recommend it.

Thanks again Seth
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its coming along quite nicely Seth. I love the tornado red, and, now you can have your very own "Tornado Red Syncro 16" Doka Restoration thread" and lose the "Another" Laughing
Cannot wait to see this and drool over it, especially if it gets a TDI Shocked
I have to say that the 1.8T Sinka of Andrews that I rode in at SdM was quite impressive, as well as Stephens ride. Either way, it will be incredible!
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only I could figure out how to edit the title Embarassed
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncrozilla wrote:
If only I could figure out how to edit the title Embarassed
go to the first post, hit edit, change the subject line.
If it's been too long, pm Kamzcab and she'll hook you up.
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked out SyncroZilla's project in person...beautiful. He is doing it right with great attention to details correcting a lot of little things that need attention. This will be one of the best DOKA's around!

I see a VANAGON BUILD-OFF TV program featuring some of the Forum's biggest rebuilding stars coming. Nominations are open...I have several in mind right now.
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some more progress on the 16" last week. Again I'm sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. I keep forgetting to bring my camera to work. Thursday and Friday were spent blocking the body for the final time. Friday night we rolled it into the booth and on Saturday my painter painted the roof, back of the cab and the bed. Here it is

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We will probably do the final shoot on the body shell this week. We plan on painting all the doors and gates off the car.

On Sunday I got on the road at 5am with the jagdwagen loaded with all this these parts to back to Germany.

The jagd whistled it's way up to San Fran at its steady 100 kph cruising speed. I had a great time hanging out with everyone and it was great to finally meet Lars from tristar connection (who I bought this truck from). Lars also brought me a set of aluminium gates for the project and some new LT style mirrors (but real vanagon version).

Unfortunately before I knew it lots of people I never even saw had left. I think I only talked to about half the people there.

Here are the gates

I spent the morning taking them all apart to be rebuilt. They had some hooks and other stuff put on them at some point by a PO so when I got them all stripped down I dropped them off at my welders shop to have a bunch of holes filled in them. I've decided to paint them to match especially since I'm having some work done to them which will show up. I think the OG surface is anadized. Shaun just had his tristar reprinted and he did the gates. I think it looks great

Ps Kammy if you see this please feel free to change the title as suggested by carterzest. Thanks.
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for the part numbers for the aluminium gate latches. They are completely flat where they bolt to the gate. If anyone knows what the correct part numbers are that would be a big help. Supposedly the alimiunium gates were an option everywhere but were mostly sold in Sweden.

16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Seths Ultra cool Red Doka . Reply with quote

Seth

Nice to see you at Burning Van. Always a great show. I like you, only got to see about 3 people.
When Shaun and I did our gates (after shortening ) We removed the handles and had the latches done in black Cad . On the back of the handles there is a sweet spot to drill which will help to release the handles from the latch . We still had to soak them with penetrating oil and bolt them in a vice and pry them off with a pry bar . We did end up Mushrooming the end a little but just filed them smooth .
I think Eric knows the name of the Accessory company that makes those gates . My feeling is that they still make gates today , maybe the handles are the same .
Looking forward to the Re assembly of that Beautiful Doka . Wire by wire and bolt by bolt .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stacey. I'm going to see Eric this weekend so I'll get the skinny from him.

I only really have two good handles as one of them is a completely different style with a much larger handle on it that was not designed to accept the plastic cover. Another one has the "spring" steel portion of the handle broken. I actually have a pretty nice set of latches on the steel gates that came with the truck. I know I could take the handles off those ones if I needed to.

Rennie at Santa Monica Vw is looking for them for me also. He says they show a similiar latch on a argentine t4 doka but it's hard to tell on the pictures. If anyone is interested he's got a set of new tristar latches sitting on the shelve. They are black instead of the gold anadized latches that the other trucks got but otherwise would work on any steel gate truck.

The search continues.
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Body and paint are done!
except for the gates and the undercariage

Tomorrow I'm going to start installing all the door latches and catches etc. so I can close the doors and they won't open. I have to install the treasure chest doors and the engine lid also. Then color sanding/polishing can start.
I'm really hapy with the wy the paint job came out.

I got the gates back from the welder and now there off to be chemical stripped before paint. I should have them net week.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seth

That truck looks Bitchin , almost too nice to drive . But Your orange Syncro has seen some serious wheeling and still looks good .
As far as those gates ,it has been my understanding that painting over Anodized aluminim is better than painting over raw aluminum . As the Anodizing gives some bite and less resistant to peeling .
I've talked to some platers and they have accounts that they plate before they paint . Just an observation.
Anyway , I hope that truck gets a lot of miles and ends up being the first in line .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm Stacey, that's interesting. I talked to our paint vendor who told me they do not think that the etching primer we use (ppg) will stick to an anodized surface very well. They suggested stripping the anadizing off first. I'm going to ask around a little more I think before I strip them. I'll let you know what I find out.
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half a day with the air powered wire brush and some aluma brite produced this

Here we are getting ready to paint the undercarriage

What a disaster. I had applied wurth chassis coating (which I am convinced is the same product as POR15) by hand around the gas tank mounting gusset and several other areas. THe rest of the chassis was scraped clean and we applied the chassis paint with a primer gun. When the truck was new the entire underneath was treated with a wax coating which we mostly scraped off but also used a lot of laquer thinner and scotch brite pads to get the wax coating off the factory primer. The wurth paint did not stick at all! You could peel it off in large sheets. We spend 3 full days re-stripping off all the wurth paint. THere are a lot of nooks and crannies underneath a vanagon. Interestingly I had a fellow shop owner stop by who does high end porsche restoration and he told me that por15/wurth does not like to stick to surfaces that have been cleaned with thinner or solvent based cleaners. He said he has had good luck with cleaning first with soapy water.

Enough of that. Rust is not really a concern for me in socal so I'm going to shoot the undercarriage first with ppg dp40 epoxy primer/sealer and then single stage paint and be done with it.
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncrozilla wrote:
Hmmm Stacey, that's interesting. I talked to our paint vendor who told me they do not think that the etching primer we use (ppg) will stick to an anodized surface very well. They suggested stripping the anadizing off first. I'm going to ask around a little more I think before I strip them. I'll let you know what I find out.

It all depends. Aluminium oxide, which is created within minutes on a raw aluminium surface, is "fat" and there's hardly no paint that sticks to an untreated alu surface. If the part is porous and anodized it will probably stick, but the best is yellow chromating. All alu parts I manufactured to the big dragons once upon a time were always chromated before paint. If you want the paint to stick for real you should remove/dissolve the anodizing and prime with a alu primer. You'll get the best result if you quickly brush of the part with a sand paper and spray the first layer within a minute.

A highly polished anodized surface is like painting a vaxed mirror, it will not stick at all.

BTW, your doka looks really good. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could do this some day with my doka. all the way down to the shell.

it looks great ! thanks for sharing !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we will find out how well the paint sticks to an anodized surface ,as the Blue Tristar in previous pictures had its Alloy gates scuffed and painted just a few months ago.
I guess time will tell. I am curious as I am gearing up to paint my Tristar and do the alloy gates as well.
Nice looking 16 ,shame about the underside. I guess we all learned something about POR 15 type products. From the few times i have used it ,I've always thought the uglier the surface the better it sticks .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: