Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Van bucks over 3000 rpm....especially when climbing
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed my fuel filter, and did the Bentley test procedure for the coil. The first test was ok but test two failed. I'll install a new coil tomorrow and report back.
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just had an issue with an air-cooled vanagon where it would run & drive fine until 4000 rpm's then it would sputter out and shake the engine all over. Every now and then you could very slowly ease past 4k rpm's if you were very careful. We replaced the fuel pump & filter (because they were not BOSCH parts), but it did the same thing. It turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator that solved the problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Vanagon Rescue Squad call sent a 90 Vanagon back home with issues at 2500rpms......a new air filter fixed it.
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. The coil was actually fine. The o2 sensor failed testing. Now I can't get it unscrewed! I've also sealed the BIG hole in the exhaust. I put a 2' extension on my wrench and also soaked it with wd40 but it won't budge. I don't have a torch. Any other ideas to get this old o2 out?

Btw, I was mistaken about the speedo jumping around when the problem occurs. It was the tach that was all over the place.
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shorepig wrote:

Btw, I was mistaken about the speedo jumping around when the problem occurs. It was the tach that was all over the place.

That changes things!... and makes a lot more sense.

Hope the O2 sensor fixes the prob.

Those can be a real bitch to extract.
Soak it good.. let it soak.. Try tightening, then loosing to break the threads..
Tap with cold chisel at base.. all around to help dislodge corrosion.
Keep at it. Avoid breaking things.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soak that bad boy with PB Blaster or Kroil. Might take a couple of days of soaking, but it should come out with the correct O2 socket.

It would be nice to know what kind of voltage you are seeing from the alternator when it wimps out. That is the only connection I can make between the jumping tach and the loss of power.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Clutch slipping?

I had a feeling it was the tach.
Hence my question one the first page.
If the main seal is weeping or leaking it will allow for slippage.
Of course a roasted clutch will as well.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: oxygen sensor removal Reply with quote

Have a Buddy or local Pro with an oxy/acetylene setup heat it cherry....it will turn right out.
NC Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toss PB blaster right around the thread area and hit it a few times gently with the side of your wrench. Apply another coat of PB and go open and toss back a beer. Should come right out by the time you've killed the brew Cool
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys.

I finally extracted the damn o2 Sensor. It's unbelievable how tough they are to get out of there. I have a feeling that the combination of the LARGE hole in the exhaust by the header was the biggest problem. It was big enough to stick my pinky into Shocked !!!

So now the van is purring like a quiet little kitten. Hopwfully I've solved the problem, but then again, you know how these intermittent problems can be.....

I still don't understand why the tach would jump from 0-3000 pretty much instantly when the problem was occurring? If I was cruising at 80 km/h when it happened there is no way the rpms could do that. So how do you explain this? I'm still thinking the evil is lurking...somewhere in the electrical system Twisted Evil

And by the way, the van is an automatic if that makes a difference.
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
pmcgrath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Tach jumps to 0 rpm and loss of power Reply with quote

I've got the exact same problem, and it's an 85 Westy automatic too!

The intermittent nature of the problem makes you think you have fixed it and then it happens again 1 month later. In my case, there have been 3 episodes of sputtering loss of power with tach jumping down to zero each time, like someone has unplugged the power cord to your lawnmower and instantly plugged it back in. These tach jumps with sudden engine power loss occur 2 to 5 seconds apart randomly until ypu pullover and turn the engine off for an hour. Or in the case yesterday, Westy had a tach jumping episode as I limped into my campground and it was still having the problem as soon as I left the curb the next morning after shut off all night.

I'm going to test the ignition switch. Please let me know when and if you solve the mystery, so I can fix this problem too. I'll let you know if I learn anything new as well.

Happy hunting,
Patrick
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: