Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.8T conversion - what power steering fluid?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WiboBusMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: 1.8T conversion - what power steering fluid? Reply with quote

Messy, messy, messy...

I've got a 1.8T conversion with a suposedly rebuilt power steering rack, but powered off the 1.8T PS pump.

I note the requirement for power steering in a standard vanagon is actually ATF dexron, whereas the requirements for a 1.8T is pretty special and pricey Power Sterring Fluid.

Dexron seems quite a bit thicker than the 1.8T spec fluid.

The PS rack leaks from the main seals (fluid coming from the bellows, both sides, but mostly on the passenger side). It leaks quite a bit, let's say from full to empty in 500kms (+/-300mi.)

I have the thinner, pricier stuff in there now, but was thinking of trying changing out the fluid in hopes it might stop or slow down the leak, on the theory that the 1.8T spec fluid is just too thin for the seals.

On the one hand, it might just be that I need to rebuild / replace the rack, on the other hand, another rack might leak just as badly if the problem really is the "too thin" fluid. Then again I don't want to ruin the 1.8T PS pump with Dexron if it would be too thick...

Any thoughts on this / similar experience / war stories?

Thanks

WiboBusMan

'84 full camper
'88 tintop Syncro (sold)
'86 Doka Syncro 1.8T
'01 A4
'05 A6
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen plenty of steering racks leaking because of the wrong fluid in the later VW and Audi cars, I have never seen a pump go bad from it however.
In both my 1.8t vans I am using ATF.

Andrew-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with what the rack in the car takes, so ATF. I haven't seen a 1.8t car (newer VW or AUDI) pump leak yet from ATF, only the rack.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think installing the "special" fluid will seal up your rack. That said, seals are funny things and change fluids can have unexpected affects. I think if you rebuild the rack or replace it, just stick with the fluid you choose. A sealed system should not require an IV drip of replacement fluid, so even the expensive stuff won't put you in the poor house with a sealed system.

The pump uses the fluid for lubrication, so there might be something to your concern about which fluid to choose. So your question is valid.
VWhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.8T conversions use ATF Dextron for power steering fluid. It's what the steering rack likes and the 1.8T pump doesn't mind either. That's the way I build all of them.
---------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
SyncroJack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the ATF Dextron in my 1.8T also. No problems.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your steering rack leak is minor you can add a little brake fluid to swell up the seals, be sure to dump the fluid after and refill with fresh ATF. It may delay your steering rack rebuild for some time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beetsport Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pumps are cheaper than Racks... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T conversion - what power steering fluid? Reply with quote

So Dexron is the fluid of choice of a 1.8t vanagon power steering system.

Now, do I go with Dexron III or VI? Seems like most local parts stores only offer IV, but I can still get III (AC Delco brand) from the local VW dealership. Is there a preference?
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T conversion - what power steering fluid? Reply with quote

Yes, dexron III. Wibobusman, did you try to add some brake fluid to swell the seals?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: